bdrake529

Installing a shrivel flap on skydiving bridle

The Phoenix-Fly PDF on using the leg pouch (BASE pouch) has the following line:

"Thread the bridle through the inside of the shrivel flap"

Easy enough on a BASE bridle, as it's just bridle and pins and you can "thread" from either side. Not so simple on a skydiving bridle. On one side is the PC which has the bridle bar-tacked on (plus there's the kill line), so removing the PC is not a simple (non-rigger) task. From the other end of the bridle, there's the d-bag. The d-bag is removable, but at the base of the d-bag is a "stopper", a perpendicular piece of reinforced material that is far too wide and inflexible to thread through the shrivel flap.

So am I missing something? The PDF says "thread the bridle", it doesn't say "have your rigger cut apart your bridle, thread it through the shrivel flap, and re-stitch everything", but that's the only solution that makes sense (that, or cutting the shrivel flap open, then restitching around the bridle).

How have other people here dealt with this issue (using the shrivel flap on their skydiving rigs)?

Thanks,

Brian
Brian Drake

No need to cut apart the bridle, we now have the technology: Ask if your rigger has a device called a "stitch picker". Use the device on one of the sides of the flap. Locate and install flap per PF directions, then sew back the side of the flap.
"The evil of the world is made possible by nothing but the sanction you give it. " -John Galt from Atlas Shrugged, 1957

I personally wouldn't use the BASE pouch for skydiving use.

I've witnessed too many premature deployments from using it in a skydiving environment, one resulting in a cutaway.

There's no need at all to use it while skydiving, your BOC works just fine ;)

The only exception really is if you're training muscle memory for BASE.
Phoenix Fly - High performance wingsuits for skydiving and BASE
Performance Designs - Simply brilliant canopies

No need to cut apart the bridle, we now have the technology: Ask if your rigger has a device called a "stitch picker". Use the device on one of the sides of the flap. Locate and install flap per PF directions, then sew back the side of the flap.

Tried to do this, but found that there must be some adhesive or something holding it together as even with the stitches picked, the darn thing wouldn't come apart and I didn't want to tear it or cut it.

I guess I'll have to have a rigger make me one, like Ed suggested.
Brian Drake