Zeemax

James Boole's accident.

Yeah,

I shouldn't have read the stupid user comments, I am super pissed off now.

Why...because there is a significant part of the human kind that sits behind a computer 24/7, never goes outside, and feels the need to comment, complain and bash the ones who do have a life?

Some of the stuff is offensive as hell, but thinking about who wrote it is enough to put a smile on my face...

It's humbling watching one of the giants make a mistake.

And thinking about the number of basejumps guys like robi, james, espen, loic, valery etc all did, inching closer and closer to the objects and judging their performance and glide angle...hundreds if not thousand or more of basejumps....and knowing that even with that training and preperation they still make mistakes (and luckely live to tell the story)..

How scary is it seeing peope quite new to the sport do a few skydives, don a wingsuit and try and repeat the same on basejump number one...
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Yeah,
I shouldn't have read the stupid user comments, I am super pissed off now.

Why...because there is a significant part of the human kind that sits behind a computer 24/7, never goes outside, and feels the need to comment, complain and bash the ones who do have a life?

and why are we all so surprised? after all, we have plenty of similar specimens right here in these forums... perhaps with a slightly lesser degree of wuffo-ness but otherwise equally infuriating if taken seriously

it's just another fine example of John Gabriel's Greater Internet Fuckwad Theory

:P

His mistake was relying on someone else during this technical BASE jump.

Isn't a skydive from an aircraft in flight using BASE gear still a skydive, and not a BASE jump, regardless of the gear used or the altitude deployed?

Argue semantics :S I guess any jump could be called a skydive, since we all use the sky for our enjoyment.... ;)
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

His mistake was relying on someone else during this technical base jump.

Why did he rely on someone else for his own altitude awareness? (It makes no sense to me ... and I just want to learn, if there is anything to learn from it.)

O

It was a professional stunt. Professional stunts have increased risks and increased rewards. One of the risks for this stunt was to rely on someone else for his altitude ... The question you should ask is what is the possibility and probability of the risk occurring and what is the consequence? To me, the possibility and probability of the risk occurring are high and the consequence is serious injury or (more likely) death.
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

One of the risks for this stunt was to rely on someone else for his altitude

Its something a lot of video guys also do on tandemjumps....and something a lot of us also do it flocking (relying on someone else flying base for a breakoff signal) be it backed up by a dytter.
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Here's an article supposedly from James himself: http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2009/dec/19/fell-6000-feet-survived

but, something doesn't seem quite right. One of the lines in the article says "...meaning I had two or three seconds before I hit the ground. I can't have been more than 20 metres up", so that's about 8m/s or 17mph. Is that slow of a vertical speed even possible?

In a month or so, I should be fit enough to jump again. I'll definitely do one more, then see how I feel. My conflict at the moment is to define a balance between having a family and following my passion. I really miss it. How could I not? It's the closest realisation of Icarus's dream – you put on a suit and you fly.

you can't escape the feeling. once it got you, it got you.
one more jump and he is hooked again :)
Michi (#1068)
hsbc/gba/sba
www.swissbaseassociation.ch
www.michibase.ch