DSE

wingsuit freeflying

I bet those FlockU guys will patent/register the name wingsuit freefly™ and have us all pay $20 every time we say the word!!! Just watch!

I'd imagine Olav would have to get some cut of this action as he already owns the trademark to half of that phrase.
Brian Drake

I'd imagine Olav would have to get some cut of this action as he already owns the trademark to half of that phrase.

Rant warning...

In the end, people are always trying to be the Olav zipster of wingsuit flying. But sadly, most of us got in a few years to late to be able to make that claim, and several of the real heroes and pioneers (of modern flying) are still out there flying from Planes and Cliffs. But we just have no clue who they are, because they dont visit the micro-universe we call dz.com or the actual internet itself;)

And I know there are several people out there who could still give some of the current heroes of the dicipline a run for their money.
But sadly they put the wingsuits away (shortly/permanently?) because they're doing silly worldchampionship freefly or camera things etc.

You dont see them in a wingsuit a lot these days, but people like Tim Porter, Andy Ford, Andrew Scott etc. where flying at current day 'top level' several years ago, and (though not always having everything online and on video) doing stuff most people now are repeating and calling their invention.

that aside...Olav is also flying wingsuit (be it not a lot) and (all the BS about freefly and who owns the term aside) an incredibly nice guy, and its awesome seeing people like him, with a huge background in other diciplines easily make the change to wingsuit flying. As to them, its just freeflying with more lift, but in the end, its flying your body.

And even more funny seeing guys like that fly circles around us, and show us tails at breakoff, in suits not bigger than what we would classify intro-level wingsuits. While we are doing the lazy, coward thing, and jumping every flock in a tarp the size of manhattan, while we'd really only need 1/3d if we wanted to work hard and learn more..

Okay...end of rant..

My message to everyone...get those smaller suits out of the closet, and work on flying them long and hard. Fly a small suit at 95% and work your ass off, instead of flying a big suit and flying at at 45%.
The big suits are fun at breakoff, sometimes needed for heavy folks.
But look at most videos out there. Usually half of the fabric is just hanging back, instead of being a proper tight flying surface..fly, fly, fly!
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Yep, agreed. Those original videos inspired me. I never said I invented it. Just been playing with it for the last few months. It is fun, but can be scary. I prefer backflying, acro style and scary rolls. B|B|B|

Justin

Wingsuit organizing, first flight courses and coaching
Flock University
Tonysuits

My message to everyone...get those smaller suits out of the closet, and work on flying them long and hard. Fly a small suit at 95% and work your ass off, instead of flying a big suit and flying at at 45%.
But look at most videos out there. Usually half of the fabric is just hanging back, instead of being a proper tight flying surface..fly, fly, fly!

Hi Jarno, its normal situation, wingsuit manufacturer copy the trend from aviation industry :D

Two thumbs up! Stop falling, start flying ...
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

Butters, then why can't you ever keep up with me. If I just wanted to float slowly down to 3k then I would've opened my canopy at 13k. Flying fast forward is the goal. So you let me know when you start flying instead of SLOWLY "falling" to 3k. ;)

So it begins ... :D I didn't realize I wasn't keeping up with you, I'll work on my forward speed (and make you work once my Vampire 3 arrives). Are you going to work on your vertical speed so that I can begin using my arm wings? ;) After all, the goal is fast forward speed and slow vertical speeds ...

PS: Are you still learning to throw drogues this weekend? I really need someone to to work on backflying with ... [:/]

This from the guy flying the big suit. ;):P
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

I'll work on my forward speed (and make you work once my Vampire 3 arrives).

Believe me, the V3 is not a wingsuit for flocks and formations. If you will fly this rocket in flocks, adjust you for permanent bracking :ph34r: It cost in V3 amazing discomfort during the flight.

More easier if you push your Phantom forward - this wingsuit is designed for flocks! I love to fly it in the formations.

Believe me, the V3 is not a wingsuit for slow flocks and formations. If you will fly this rocket in slow flocks, adjust you for permanent bracking :ph34r: It cost in V3 amazing discomfort during the flight.

Fixed it for you. We aren't planning on slow flocks and formations in my neck of the woods ... ;)

Wow Spot.......I can't believe such a very simple request could unleash such an ego driven, chest pounding storm of who did what first and who claims to have done what first; so I really like many of the things I hear Jarno, Scotty, and Matt are saying on this post thread.

Try getting in touch with Rolph Brombach. This past December and January in Eloy; he and his Lady - Micah were doing a lot of this "Wingsuit Freefly" jumping thing. A LOT! Anne and I followed in the exit order so I spent a good amount of time hanging my head out the Otter door watching thier travel down the hill before our exit. Rolph and Micah were both were running video and should have tons of footage. You might want to ask Rolph.

Circa 2005 I downloaded and burned to DVD a lot of the videos made by Jarno, Matt Hoover and Scotty Burns. I think these are the ones with Omar Nerys they are referring to. Wow! Back then I used to stay up until the wee hours of the morning watching that stuff over and over, lunch breaks at work, you name it! These movies are still up on skydivingmovies.com in the wingsuit section. If need be I guess I could find a way to get a copy over to you. Hope this helps for your project!:)
Don't know what to say or think about all these pony references Jarno and Justin make back and forth; but Larry and Lill Hill have plenty of donkeys, horses, ponies, and various farm animals Jarno and Justin can play with here at the ranch in Eloy.:P Now play Deliverence Dueling Banjo music.......

Oh yeah....I tire of the word "discipline" or "sub-discipline"; so overplayed......

So for all you flockers who want your "discipline" when you come to Eloy.....

CLICK HERE: http://doiaz.com/:)

Try getting in touch with Rolph Brombach. This past December and January in Eloy; he and his Lady - Micah were doing a lot of this "Wingsuit Freefly" jumping thing. A LOT! Anne and I followed in the exit order so I spent a good amount of time hanging my head out the Otter door watching thier travel down the hill before our exit. Rolph and Micah were both were running video and should have tons of footage. You might want to ask Rolph.

I think you missed the original post. Rolf is the one claiming to have "invented" wingsuit freeflying or "Birdfreeflying" in his blog. In his own words, in his own blog. I knew this to be untrue, so disputed it with the person that emailed me about it. Additionally, it's that same blog that refers to "birdfreeflying" as a "discipline."

So if anyone is chest-puffing or being ego-driven, it's the person who wrote the blog, not anyone in this thread.

Yeah it was entertaining watching Jarno flock that Stealth. I think I have some video of his right foot on his ass and his left arm in. It was the most f*cked up body position for flying with that flock that I have seen.

As far as the WS free flying or whatever, it is only a matter of time until we hear of some low time wingsuiters trying it and corking right into each other.

In regards to Butters and his V3, I am looking forward to the challenge of keeping up with him in my S-6. Butters is not one to be fond of flying his suit in brakes.
Sky Canyon Wingsuiters

As far as the WS free flying or whatever, it is only a matter of time until we hear of some low time wingsuiters trying it and corking right into each other.

That's what solos are for ... :)

That's what solos are for ... :)

Yes...yet bigways still seem to be the arena where most jumpers prefer getting their flying skills fresh off their FFC, and then trying their first hand at backflying etc. at breakoff because there is a cameraguy flying next to them and it seemed cool;):P
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Hey! I saw a guy like that! He was wearing this big orange mattress! You'd think with a WS that big he would've known better. But maybe the pony that was mounting him at the time messed with his head.

I know your comment was in jest, but what I was mostly refering to was (new/unexperienced) people trying something new (be it a new suit or new move/skill) for the first time in a big flock. Which isnt always the wisest thing to do.

If someone is capable of backflying (pony in the mouth or not) and is actually able to backfly without turning into a diving unguided projectile seeking a target....if its within ones ability, and not putting others at risk. Sure..and of course you'll always have some 'do as I say, dont do as I do..' as its skydiving, and the high level of ADHD people doing (sometimes a bit too) spontanious things can sometimes turn it into the high-risk sport the way the whuffo-crowd sees us.

But in general. Just refrain from doing stuff near a formation, which you wouldnt be comfortable doing (100% within your own ability) on a solo jump.

And the matrasses...yes..like I sayd earlier...its overkill. At Zflock, showing a bit of the Stealth2 was part of my job description, but outside of time oriented jumps and having fun getting an extra minute of freefall after breakoff, in a formation something smaller such as a Phantom2 or Acro2 can be much more fun (and actually require a bit of work) to fly.

The thing I like most about the smaller suits is that the inputs to fly them are much more subtle. Where-as on the big suits (like you mentioned a few posts up) when not flying max, you sometimes have to stick arms and legs into all kinds of big direction to fly, and end up in weird crampy positions. When these suits are flown to the fullest, it can be an awesome thing.

The only formation thing Ive found the big suit helpfull for (unless you're a heavy bloke) is flying half inside someones burble, or flying with some of our local guys who just put their 90% flying onto being base, and coming down with 2:30 flocking jumps from 12k.
And sometimes its uncomfortable flying during the flock, just because flying slowly after breakoff is soo much fun.

But like any other thing. Choose the right tool for the right job.

This should/could actually be worth a split-off thread, seeing as the discussion on the recent invention of wingsuit 'freefly' (or: discovery that you can do more than flying a wingsuit on one straight line/glide angle:P) is getting a bit muffled..

p.s. Upload your ZFlock video! I want to start editing. Already done pre-cutting all the other footage from Scotty etc;)
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?