DSE

wingsuit freeflying

I'm aware of a few birds that freefly in their wingsuits,
looking for some vid to support that. Got an email from someone this afternoon claiming that the "discipline" was invented only last month...
This vid is a couple years old, but it doesn't show what I'm looking for.
Anyone got any vid?

Freefly Babylon 3:40 into the video.
This video is over a year old. and its not the first time they've been doing this.

And I know there is a (I think Swedish/Norwegian) video on skydiving movies (could be freefly boogie or wingsuit boogie) showing some headdown flying with a wingsuit from way back 2002 or so.
Im browsing SDM, but maybe someone else knows what Im talking about and can post the link here.

Not that I personaly always see the added vallue of 'headdown flying with a handicap' in a wingsuit. But braggingwise, claiming to have invented headdown wingsuit flying in recent years is pretty useless.

From the start, many people have also been carving around RW/FF/tandems in big circles using a wingsuit, which is probably as close to freeflying (and still using the wingsuit to some effect) as you can get...

Who is the person claiming to have invented it just last month?
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

The email I got referred me to the Birdman Blog when I disputed the claim.
To quote from the blog:
"And last but not least: Rolf seems to have created a "new discipline" He already went a couple of times his head down, carving a sitflyer - with his FIREBIRD on... no name yet for this. BIRD-Freeflying?
"
There is a photo here, too but it doesn't really demonstrate "wingsuit head down" but rather a very aggressive exit or a really flat gainer.
Somewhere, I saw video of Heffro and Justin doing a headdown flower with others, but can't find that video on Vimeo.
No point in getting into a debate; I merely wanted to support my position that HD wingsuiting wasn't "recently invented."

There is a photo here, too but it doesn't really demonstrate "wingsuit head down" but rather a very aggressive exit or a really flat gainer.

Good position for "Wings over Gransee", for discipline "maximum forward speed" :D

Check results here:
http://www.wingsuitcompetition.com/ppc/showevent.php?category=Speed&event=Wings+over+Gransee+2008&units=metric

Yes, we have been doing this for awhile. Nothing new there. AT ALL.

No Justin, you nor the flocku followers were anywhere even close to the first -

Omar and Hoover were doing it and doing it well long before you were even around -------- I would have to say Omar was the driving force --- and he was a cool mofo - too bad he quit skydiving and bought that hairless dog:P

The pimp hand is powdered up ... say something stupid

bit of a silly dicipline head down wingsuiting ... almost an oxymoron
ask taya she had some clip of her and jeff and someone else exiting head down in a flower and then getting smashed in all directions when the pressure got too much.(its on vimeo under heading my summer or taya or something like that) if you dont find it PM me and ill look for the email she sent it to me on - quite long ago. i wouldnt recommend it for anyone not highly skilled.

~ time is ~ time was ~ times past ~

Omar Nerys and I started freeflying our wingsuits i believe around the end of 2004, begining of 05 i think... we started chasing chris ware in his freefly suit, then went from there... we used to do alot of freeflying, but it has been awhile, and i do miss it.. Jeff and I have carved tandems while I was shooting tandem video in my wingsuit before, and moves like the gravitron were created by us back around the same time... it kis kind of silly Pierre, however its a blast, and the fact that you can be head down to five grand, and still get a min and a half freefall time and cover a mile or two just coming out of your dive~ ok.. im ready to start again... mabye Ill teach you justin~ but vewdoo isnt current enough, he doesnt jump anymore so he just bitches... so he cant come :P
Z Flock #11; Muff #1909; PFI #15, USPA Lifer
Commercial Multi-Inst. Airplane/Rotory
www.flyteskool.ws Aerial Photography

Omar Nerys and I started freeflying our wingsuits

(not you Scotty) but why is everyone always soo damn eager to stick 500 new names, firsts, records and god knows what kind of claims on something done in freefall.

Wingsuit freeflying?
Wingsuit FLYING!

Playing in more than one angle/direction of flight. But wingsuit FLYINGB|
The headdown exits, cool as they may be. The wingsuit isnt used for much more than making the corking a lot more dangerous/bigger impact on hits.
There isnt a single thing about it where the wingsuit actually ads to it.

The gravitron on the other hand is one of the finest examples, and also the only 'wingsuit freefly' move so far which actually ads/uses the traveling/flying aspect of a wingsuit to move through the sky 3 dimensionaly.

Sorry if this comes off as a rant, but I see more and more boogies advertised with a bazillion new subdiciplines on multipoint, sequential, hybrid, freefly, inverted multilevel, bi-direction, multisexual, transvestite formations...

Whats wrong with 'wingsuit flying'
We're barely a dicipline and people already feel the need to invent 400 sub diciplines.

Wingsuit flying for performance, aerobatic flight, and formation flying.
Why all the extra marketing quotes?B|

Go voodew;)
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

but vewdoo isnt current enough, he doesnt jump anymore so he just bitches... so he cant come :P

Well my trust fund has hit yet so I will continue to jump when I can - and grow my company the rest of the time and continue to bitch when people claim to be more amazing then they truly are

Wouldn't call it silly, Pierre. Headdown and freefly stuff comes in handy and sometimes necessary for us lighter birds to get down to formations or stay with students doing weird stuff. Had a student here years ago who just didn't take to wingsuit and was trying to do an "RW" body position with his feet up on his ass falling straight down, I had to kneefly/sitfly to stay with him and headdown to stay with a few of the heavier students. Freeflying a wingsuit is neither silly nor new and revolutionary, its just another tool I use to get somewhere I need to be. No big deal. I'd just wonder why bother sticking labels all over it and making like theres something special or different about it. If we keep this up we're going to start sounding like those "atmonauti" guys making a big deal out of steep tracking, which must have been the shortest-lived "discipline" in the history of the sport. Yawn.
-B
Live and learn... or die, and teach by example.

hi lurch - sorry i should have worded better - for the record i freefly a lot and mostly head down. both tunnel and sky so im all for experimenting. there is a distinct difference between swooping in on a formation because you are light or exit late and need to pick up vertical speed and flying static grips or head down in a wingsuit.
they are two totally different things.

anyways i meant its a contradiction because a rational person would think that since you can fly longer and more importantly FURTHER in a wingsuit that it would be the main goal - going head down you fly shorter and you dont move horizontally!

but to each his own - just be carefull when you come out of a vertical orientation is my only advice - the wings will cause a severe change in fall rate which is the MOST dangerous element of freeflying in my mind.

so rather learn to free fly head down before trying it in a wingsuit and not the other way around.

happy dayz

~ time is ~ time was ~ times past ~

No offense taken, Pierre. Aside from creative exits and pursuing 300 lb WS students about the only real use for HD I've found has been for surprising the hell out of my rodeo passengers after they bail off. I took Ken Murphy on a rodeo years ago, he bailed and went HD, I inverted and stayed with him. You should have seen the look on his face when he turned around and I was still right next to him. I don't do that too often because its a bad idea to do that around inexperienced freeflyers, but Kens an old-school hardcore and he was good for the surprise. The changes in direction when you carve out of it can be violent, though. About the only suggestion I'd have for wingsuiters wanting to try freeflying is, learn it on solos only at first so you don't kill anybody cause when you cork you can catapult yourself a mile across the sky in seconds.
Wingmonauti...angled wingsuit! :D Wheres Yuri? He'll be all over this.
-B

Live and learn... or die, and teach by example.

Omar and Hoover were doing it and doing it well long before you were even around -------- I would have to say Omar was the driving force --- and he was a cool mofo - too bad he quit skydiving and bought that hairless dog:P

Omar was doing it long before he met me too, but I'm sure he wasn't the first either. And yeh, it's too bad about the dog. He should have a human baby by now too, I need to check up on that!

Omar doing a gravitron
Omar doing a gravitron and flipping me off :D

Look at 0:40 here for a clip of Omar doing a barrel roll gravitron. The move at 3:00 is pretty cool too, it may not be in a vertical orientation, but I'd still call it free-flocking (another word Omar coined). B|

Omar Nerys and I started freeflying our wingsuits i believe around the end of 2004, begining of 05 i think...

Didn't you have 5 wingsuit jumps when I met you at Z-Flock 1.0 in March 2005? Btw, had to search the forums to find that date... blast from the past... go here to read some really old posts.

Here is an old Omar post I found about acrobatix.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Omar Nerys and I started freeflying our wingsuits i believe around the end of 2004, begining of 05 i think...

Didn't you have 5 wingsuit jumps when I met you at Z-Flock 1.0 in March 2005?

+1

I thought I remembered scotty from the flock n dock 05 and that video you posted Matt that was on the bird-man website. The high speed exit one.

I invented the Pooper exit in honor of Voodewdy, the eye popping flat spin in honor of Marty Feldman and chocolate dipped in peanut butter. Oh ya the internet too.

I'll be waiting for my pimp slap now Jason ;) get out the powder.

BUY A WINGSUIT
My Website
Tony Suits
[url "http:/

Yeah well invented the 'controlled and on purpose' ass dock
And it seems no one can do it (which means no one wants too:P) You must be secure in your manhood - and it helps to not tell the ass your about to dock:)

So there!

I bet those FlockU guys will patent/register the name wingsuit freefly™ and have us all pay $20 every time we say the word!!! Just watch!

And Justin Shorb posters for childrens bedrooms (they tried Purple Mike posters, but somehow that seemed to make little kids cry and have bad dreams:P)!

I do see they already have shirts, hoodies and coffee-mugs already on their site....and they jump the Scalloped XS...ooh my g#d! You guys are slowly turning into Birdman;):S:ph34r:
I do believe Justin was the first person to fly docked with a pony...god Im jealous...

ps.
Jeff didnt invent the internet. Al Gore did!:)

JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

I do believe Justin was the first person to fly docked with a pony...god Im jealous...

but... you're the first one to give head to that pony while flying on your back!

think, Jarno! this is the new discipline that's the future of all wingsuiting...
wingsuit-backfly-pony-blowing
I see lots of potential there...

I bet those FlockU guys will patent/register the name wingsuit freefly™ and have us all pay $20 every time we say the word!!! Just watch!

Well...you're close. I tried to do this last night when I saw the blog. Then found out that "wingsuit freefly," "Bird-fly," and "Bird freefly" were already trademarked.
Start sending your 20.00 in now; avoid the rush.