kallend

Tonysuit Mach 1 armwing question

What he said,
The new sleeve design has made the arm wing a very rigid airlock. If you want maximum performance keep them closed. Opening the zippers allows for an easier pull, also making it easier to do barrel rolls and transitions.

Also the arm zippers allow for the important cargo items, like beer.:)
Justin

Wingsuit organizing, first flight courses and coaching
Flock University
Tonysuits

Justin

Right - I should have known Tony would think of that.

oh I didn't think of it, me being practically tee total. I think Jeff N was the first, well we were jumping onto a beach with no beer sales so its a matter of necessity being the mother of invention ah?

but actually as I think the arm zips are better done up, then my reasoning for em is for access inside the arm for repair
Life is a series of wonderful opportunities,
brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.

tonysuits.com

What he said,
The new sleeve design has made the arm wing a very rigid airlock. If you want maximum performance keep them closed. Opening the zippers allows for an easier pull, also making it easier to do barrel rolls and transitions.

Justin

That was a perfect explanation actually! FWIW, the newest Tony's all have "crotch" zippers as well which control the inflation of the legwing. I generally fly with that one nearly fully unzipped for backflying. I generally fly with my inside arm zips fully closed.

Chuck

"crotch" zippers as well which control the inflation of the legwing

Why didn't someone tell me!?!? I'd been using it as a bladder buddy for those long rides to altitude.

(At least I'll no longer have that ballast shifting around during flight!)
Skwrl Productions - Wingsuit Photography

Northeast Bird School - Chief Logistics Guy and Video Dork

"crotch" zippers as well which control the inflation of the legwing

Why didn't someone tell me!?!? I'd been using it as a bladder buddy for those long rides to altitude.

(At least I'll no longer have that ballast shifting around during flight!)

it also allows a jet of air to cool any hot spots one might have.......:)
Life is a series of wonderful opportunities,
brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.

tonysuits.com

What he said,

Justin

That was a perfect explanation actually! FWIW, the newest Tony's all have "crotch" zippers as well which control the inflation of the legwing.
Chuck

All my pants since about 1955 have had zipper flies - and now its a new feature?:D (Yes, I'm older than Tony)

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Is it a more efficient wing? I wouldn't have thought so just to look at it, but I got my best ever time today from 13.5k - 4.5k, on the first jump in the modified suit, without even trying.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Check the leading edge inlets - you may find less drag there - I think that is one area where Tony has really improved performance. On my suit, before modifications, there were 3 inlets on each armwing. He stitched several of them closed, I guess you don't need so much inflation on the wing. Reducing the size of the scoops grabbing air seems like it reduced drag, thus improving performance. The arm wing still inflates like a mattress, even with fewer inlets.

And I also keep my internal armwing zips closed, unless accessing the beverage storage compartments.

I have found myself keeping the arm wings zipped 100% of the time. However, it seems I get more performance on solo max distance flights with the leg wing unzipped. The only time I keep the leg wing zipped is when flying dirty/flocking.

Anyone notice this? I only have 75 wingsuit jumps 50 of which are on my SM1. I may need some more jumps before I can dial in the ability to utilize the more rigid locked leg wing.
-Dale

i wouldnt waste my time opening and closing the locks, unless its a hot day and im stashing some drinks inthere. i think more solid wing is better - you can adjust your body if you are doing acro and its not like its IMPOSSIBLE to close the wings when you barrel roll or whatever. flocking i would highly recommend having the zippers closed - you want as little as possible movement from ur wing once you have settled into position in a group. also you want all the drive you can get out the wing on break off. come to think of it - i dont think i will ever fly without the locks in place - someone else might have a diff opinion but i cannot really see how you can justify flying with the zips open. like i said its easy enough to get enough air out to pull or trasition.
i think skymonkey said he likes unzipping for backflying - you can do that but you will offcourse struggle to learn to fly it once you decide you want more performance backflying and close the zips. he is quite a light person so he would have less trouble than someone weighing in at lets say 80-90 kgs.

~ time is ~ time was ~ times past ~

I open the arm zippers half-way for backflying. When the zippers are fully closed, the arms snap open really hard during the transistions. Opening the leg wing zipper helps too, since in most Tony Suits, the leg wing is too large to allow to fully open during backflying. The zippers are more about allowing air to escape when you want to collapse the wings. In normal flight, there is so much air coming into the wings that the little that's escaping thru the zippers is nearly irrelevant.

Scott