Hagen

Stupid questions about wide leg wings

and from wiki again:

"Gliding versus powered flight

Some things that fly are not pushed forwards through the air and can only glide, for example flying squirrels, this is termed gliding. Others have a source of useful forward power and can climb, this is termed powered flight.";)

the definitions imply not simply having control but also using this or that method of movement. wikipedia says:

Wikipedia is a great source, but do remember its content submitted by the users.

If I get enough people to submit that blue is actually red, ponies can fly, my new sideburns look cool, midget-tossing is Hollands national sport and elvis isnt dead, than thats what it reads as well...:P
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

If I get enough people to submit that blue is actually red, ponies can fly, my new sideburns look cool, midget-tossing is Hollands national sport and elvis isnt dead, than thats what it reads as well...:P

I guess it's just a matter of denial. Some people just want to think they are flying no matter how absurd it sounds and that they are actually gliding at best... You just want to feel special don't ya? I can "flyyyy" oh yeeeaaaah :P
"Dream as you'll live forever, live as you'll die today." James Dean

in this very case wiki simply repeats textbooks on physics. and please, go and tell your boring 'jokes' somewhere else.

Its not a joke, and we are talking definitions, meanings of a word, not physics. And depending on the selective use of a quote on wikipedia, its meaning can often be severly mangled and incorrect.
Browse this forum for the wonderfull history on the wingsuit wikipedia page, and user submitted content.

But back to the subject of the word flight being valid/invalid in terms of describing what we do.

The quotes you post name one powered flight, and the other glide thus being unpowered flight). Flight nevertheless..

What we do is 100% flight. If not by that definition, pick any of the following from the English dictionairy;)

Definitions of the word flight:

noun: a scheduled trip by plane between designated airports
noun: an instance of traveling by air
noun: a stairway (set of steps) between one floor or landing and the next
noun: passing above and beyond ordinary bounds
noun: an air force unit smaller than a squadron
noun: a formation of aircraft in flight
noun: a flock of flying birds
noun: the act of escaping physically
noun: the path followed by an object moving through space
verb: shoot a bird in flight
verb: fly in a flock
verb: decorate with feathers
name: A surname (very rare: popularity rank in the U.S.: #29010)

JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

I guess it's just a matter of denial.

I think its more a matter of people not being able to enjoy things in life, without having them all labeled and catagorised...

Some people just want to think they are flying no matter how absurd it sounds and that they are actually gliding at best...

glide=unpowered flight
flight with an engine=powered flight

So its just you getting it wrong:P

If its a matter of simple fun bad/glide-ratio wingsuit formation flight, or Yuri-approved© wigsuit flight...who cares...

You just want to feel special don't ya?

neh...my mother told me I was special when I rode the bus to school with all the other special kids years ago...B|
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

We're never going to agree on whether we're falling, gliding, or flying. Does it matter? Not really as long as we're all having fun!

PS: I'm just excited that the season starts this weekend! Time to go .
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

We're never going to agree on whether we're falling, gliding, or flying. Does it matter? Not really as long as we're all having fun!

PS: I'm just excited that the season starts this weekend! Time to go .

Same here...off to the USA in less than a week. Then Spain, Then Ukraine. Its gonna be fun!

And definitions...Im flying...but anyone who wants to linger in the negative space and feel different is of course free to do so...:P
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

I'm confused at your meaning between your posts.
Is it your assertion that wingsuits are flying, gliding, or falling?

People with wingsuits - glide, people without - fall. Oh and people with tracking suits can be categorised as some kind of pseudo gliding...

I'm confused at your meaning between your posts.
Is it your assertion that wingsuits are flying, gliding, or falling?

People with wingsuits - glide, people without - fall.

What about trackers? ;)

What about trackers? ;)

That's probably the weakest form of gliding and can barely if not at all be categorized as gliding... :P

I've met some trackers that could give some wingsuiters a run for their money.

I've met some trackers that could give some wingsuiters a run for their money.

Luc Maisin in his tight RW suit is outscoring ]Tristan in an XS in the distance competition at PPC.

Ignoring winds etc of course.
But (inlcuding a dive) several trackers are flying glide ratios over 1:1 in tight RW suits.

Fllyyyy:P
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

I am a soaring pilot (hang gliders and paragliders) that also flies wingsuits. Here's my take on this discussion of whether or not our suits actually fly.

Anything that produces lift is flying. If you can create forward movement then you are producing lift. What y'all are getting hung up on is the difference between gliding and soaring flight. Soaring is the act of using updrafts to sustain and/or gain altitude. Hang gliders, paragliders, sailplanes and some birds engage in soaring flight. A wingsuit is a glider, albeit a very low performance one; one whose sink rate is so high as to preclude soaring.

OK, this is where it gets interesting. A well flown wingsuit is capable of a sink rate of around 3,500 FPM (approx. 40 MPH fall rate). While it's rare for updrafts to reach that high a velocity, it's common (at least here in the desert Southwest of the US) for thermal updrafts to exceed 1500 FPM. By flying your wingsuit in these updrafts you can significantly improve your gliding performance. How do you find and stay in updrafts? One way would be to exploit cloud streets. Another would be to use the ridge lift formed on the upwind side of cliffs on windy days.

Well, it's a matter of how you define flying yourself I guess..

I have always and will always imagine flying when you can take off the ground, gain and not lose altitude and go where ever you look... :)