DSE

Fun in Hawaii

Today we were jumping in Hawaii.
A vidiot wearing a tracking suit is in the plane with us. He says he's going out before us. I'm good with that.
Turns out, he'd asked one of the other WX guys if he could shoot our exit (I'm unaware of this).
He climbs out to the camera step at the normal "tandem exit spot" for the DZ. I'm not paying attention, because I know where the spot I want is at, and we're not there yet.
He's hanging on the side of the aircraft, and I'm thinking..."What's he doing out there?" I look out, we're still not on the exit point. I keep looking at him with "What are you up to?" and he just keeps grinning.
Finally, my partner says "He wants to shoot our exit." Well...we're not to the spot yet, and he's wearing a tracking suit...but "OK."
I timed it on my NLE, we made him hang on the side of the Caravan for nearly 40 seconds...And he just smiled the whole time.

We laughed for quite about it at the DZ, and laughed even harder when we put timecode to the video.

40 seconds? Thats not so bad on the side of the otter~ :P looks like it wouldve been great to be there!

Agreed, 40 seconds isn't bad. And, I'm pretty sure Scotty holds the record, and by a pretty good margin. :D

Scotty, do you remember how long that was?? Like a couple minutes?? And, the pilot had the throttles in to get us to the spot - so it was no jump run breeze he was dealing with. ;)

I remember we tried to get him back in, but seriously, when Scotty is on the step with his 20 lbs. of camera gear on his head, there is only one way to go from there. :)
Damn Douglas - that does look to be a long way out to sea. Hope the wind's at your back.
Post a couple pics if you get a chance - the scenery must be beautiful.

I believe it was just over 2 mins... i was very happy that I was able to pull at the end of the jump.... :P I definitely don't recommend attempting to beat that record, hell i didnt want it.. lol is no fun out there man~
Z Flock #11; Muff #1909; PFI #15, USPA Lifer
Commercial Multi-Inst. Airplane/Rotory
www.flyteskool.ws Aerial Photography

hijack.

so some questions on hawaii. have you seen any trikes(weight shift, uses a hang glider wing, looks like an ultralight, but now many are N numbered) flying at that airport? I am a a trike pilot, and want to plan a trip there. and, how would you rate jumping there? diffilculty? I am a D license, 300 + jumps or so, ( so still new ) at many different DZs and wind conditions. my wife holds a B same number of jumps. we are thinking of planning a jump, trike, scuba trip. yes, that order. thanks

Someone from Hawaii would have to answer, but I can't imagine someone flying an ultralight, trike, or similar at this airport, and in several trips there have never seen one. Winds are pretty crazy.
If you're not real current, I'd think twice about jumping there. One of my close friends is very current, celebrated his 400th jump there and had a bad landing due to rotors. However, people with 100 jumps that jump there regularly have no problem. If you know how to manage the winds, it's no big thing at all. Skydive Hawaii requires a B license and 150 jumps minimum to jump there due to stupidities by visiting jumpers. Nice landing area, and there is one large out, but other than that...there are no outs. Additionally, winds often shut down the DZ by 1-2 in the afternoon. We had one day last week that we jumped until 6.
Staff at Skydive Hawaii are incredibly accomodating, great people, nice Caravan if you can handle the ugly paint job, and the view is one of the best in the world, IMO.

Hello,
There are trikes at Dillingham Field.
Tom and Denise have two trikes,
check out Paradise Air Hawaii.
They fly early in the morning,
and are usually done by the
time DSE rolls out of bed.
Skydiving there can be gnarly and awesome,
I did my first jump course at Dillingham....
==================================

I've got all I need, Jesus and gravity. Dolly Parton

http://www.AveryBadenhop.com

thanks. thats the operation i was looking for. i currently fly in the desert, east of Los Angeles. we deal with the winds up here too, usually take off at dawn, and am done by 9 or 10 due to winds and thermals. for me, its all about smooth air...winds just make it like driving down a bumpy road...ok, but no fun.

oh crap. you are never gonna believe this. so i decided not to fly this m morning, doing some work instead, and my flying buddies just buzzed my house to rub it in...f-ckers!