Titanium_Gecko

Improving my S-Fly Access Flying

Hello All,

I've just started wingsuit jumping with 10 jumps on the Access (whilst working abroad) and I'm struggling to break, go slower than, 80mph. I am talking to the guys on the ground at my DZ but need a bit more help. I know it is all going to be about practice and patients, like learning to walk after breaking bones, however.....

Does anyone have any specific pointers on body, arm/shoulder and leg positioning or Access suit flying in general, please?

I'm jumping an M+ sized suit and have to hold the tops of grips to tension the wings enough to fly my circuits.

Many thanks,

TG
www.gathhelmets.co.uk
www.flyyourbody.com

Try watching this video on our websites video tutorial section.

Most people tend to push down on the wings to hard, and end up stalling their wingsuit. Flying it like a camera-suit, instead of like a wing(suit).

Flying a canopy in deep brakes may feel like you're going down slowly, but you are hardly covering ground. Letting the canopy fly, might go down a bit quicker, but it will make you fly a much larger distance.

A wingsuit needs the forward speed to fly, so try and focus on flying fast forward, and dont worry to much about your downward speed.

And once the forward speeds go up, your fallrate will decrease as well (as a result of more lift being generated).

As with any wingsuit, dont try to focus to much on model-specific tips on flying, but just look at flying your body. Though some things may differ a bit depending on the size and model wingsuit, the general technique behind flying your body is always the same.
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

I got some of my lowest fallrates on cloud jumps when i was concentrating on getting to different places on the cloud and making it to the end of a canyon without touching the bottom. That inadverntantly helped me change my state of mind when it comes to lower vertical speeds and how to achieve them. I guess it was something that I had to experience to really understand. Gotta love learning through doing... Instead of reading. You know what that means, jump more!
Sky Canyon Wingsuiters

Any chance at throwing some more vid on Jullien onto the Tubes Patrick?

End of May, we will be together in La Réole (near Bordeaux) for a Wingsuit FC week end... I'll will try to catch some more...;)

For the moment, he's is training in North Carolina with the french national VRW team.
Patrick de Guillebon

Zune & Babylon have a wingsuit camp at Empuriabrava 7-10 May. Would be worth the trip. I was using an M+ size Access (have recently bought an S-Fly Expert).

Re forward speed, all of the S-Fly products are quite clean aerodynamically whereas a lot of other brand wingsuits out there have a "world of drag" built in. I like their approach; if you want to slow down learn how to do it with your body.

Re the grips, do more tensioning with the back of your upper arms. Tugging too hard on the grips kills your wing shape.
"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to attend his classes"

An update from the skies above the Loire Valley....

Thanks to everyone for all the advice, which I am now finally starting to use and understand.

I did about a dozen odd jumps getting frustrated with rocking and flipping through the sky before things started to click last weekend. Trying to chase another wingsuiter helped for a couple of jumps before whizzing through the sky on my own.

2 minutes and beyond here I come!!!

I can't make Spain in May but I am off to Brienne next weekend so watch this space.....lol.

Regards,

TG
www.gathhelmets.co.uk
www.flyyourbody.com

Update!

I finally got cleared for the S-Fly Expert after some coaching with Zun to correct SOooo much of my flying. I've never done so many jumps in a weekend; A massive thanks to Zun and everyone at Brienne - a superb DZ (plus fast shipping from flyyourbody.com, straight afterwards).

I now have 29 jumps on my own Expert and loving every moment. Flying from pre-arranged deep spots, in high winds, just for me, is brilliant fun let alone front loops etc. Are they meant to feel like sit for a moment...lol.

I have been so welcomed here in France, made so many new friends, but only have 5 more jumping days before I leave. Home to UK here I come!

My longest jump is just over 100s about 11k between exit and opening getting out 3 miles from DZ control (down flight line) with an AVS around 74mph, from memory. Good/Average/Bad/Needs work??

I've been having so much fun tearing around the sky that I haven't even tried falling slowly yet...lol. Let alone flocking!

Staying on heading during barrel roles seems very hard at the moment let alone getting stable on my back, which I haven't managed at all. Any tips?

How do you do a dive exit towards the tail (of a Porter) or safe/stable exit to fly directly back down the flight line?

Blue Skies,

Ross
www.gathhelmets.co.uk
www.flyyourbody.com

Good/Average/Bad/Needs work??

Put on a camerasuit, and you can get long freefalls as well.
Focus on flying far, and flying 'long' is something that automaticly increases.

Usually focussing on time, tends to make people fly less (like a canopy in breaks) and use the suit more like a camera-suit, and less like a wing..B|

Numbers/fallrates dont really say a lot about how you're flying...so dont focus too much on that one...enjoy the flying. Play with angles and flares..B|
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Thanks mccordia!

Apologies, the data and question was a bit tongue in cheek on my part. I do some climbing coaching and someone telling me they have just done a route at X grade doesn't tell me a great deal about about their overall ability etc.

My times have already jumped up with trying to fly further and will do again, I'm sure, as I fly more. I am already playing with angles and flares as enjoy the changes in speed and forces on my boby.

Ross
www.gathhelmets.co.uk
www.flyyourbody.com