yuri_base

D/L Hall of Fame

Don't feel too secure, though, in your King status. Everything is temporary in the D/L world (unlike L/D world, where some day we will reach the absolute limit). The upper limit is infinity. At least one guy achieved it, "flying" wingsuit in a windtunnel. But that's not an acceptable record, because he had no choice. :D

Someone who jumps with pink smoke and lands with pink face and rig, would be a good candidate. Avery, perhaps? ;)

Android+Wear/iOS/Windows apps:
L/D Vario, Smart Altimeter, Rockdrop Pro, Wingsuit FAP
iOS only: L/D Magic
Windows only: WS Studio

Let me see, you are the same Yuri who posted as Veter about your name entered to bounce bingo pool at the Ranch a few years ago?
All I see is your mathematical bitching about wingsuits, and I'd like to know if you ever made a wingsuit jump and if you did I wanted to know if you ever flew in a flock.

Besides that, I will go to the Ranch soon and check if you're still available (for the sake of it)
Peace :D

Yes, I'm Yuri from Bounce Bingo. Send me your money, I'll put it in my funeral fund. ;)

Bounce Bingo was one of the most educational experiences in my life. It gave me amazing powers to tell idiots from normal people from the moment they open their mouth.

YES

You should try it, too. You'll learn something about yourself, guaranteed. ;)

Would you be kind enough to find the link to that thread for me? Thanks. :)
To help you start learning, I'll put $20 on you forgetting your legstraps.

Here it is for people's amusement
clicky

So you didn't answer my questions, probably not much experience with wingsuits altogether. Did people turned you down to teach you and that's why you're so bitter?

I do feel very sorry for you. With such bitter outlook on things, your life has to be miserable.

/edited to add: do not feed the troll
do not feed the troll
do not feed the troll... ok check im out

Sweet, I have a good reading for tonight. Even skimming through the names of posters is very educational.

Thank you, I was too lazy to search. :)

Seeing again that at post #84 in that thread I shut up but the show goes on for 250 more posts after I'm gone, made my day. But I'll read it all again, can't resist. :D

There is falling, flocking, and flying. Some people like to do one of those things, some people like to do some of those things, and some people like to do all of those things ...

PS: I like flocking. I love flying. Ask anyone. When I met you and asked you to go flying (not flocking) with me, you declined. Were you afraid of my skills? Be hoenst ...
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

Spot, I'm sorry to inform you that... that... that you lost your honorable title of the King.

That Shuttle mattressing is surely No.1 now for the long time.

A perfection of technology, amazing achievement of human kind, on one hand, an The Three Kings In Mattresses, on the other.

What an epic FAIL!

More sadly, that these pictures and videos will be published in magazines and presented to general public as the image of human flying.

This is, probably, the most sad day in history of wingsuiting... :(

Nah...No way could Jeff (or anyone else on that jump) possibly approach my throne, it's FAR too low for them to go.
I would say that Oct 21, 2005 is still the saddest day in wingsuit history, and it likely will be for some time to come.

Tony, we at D/L Hall of Fame are not interested in the low D/L (or rather, 1/{Wind-assisted-glide-ratio}) you mentioned. Only 1.0 and higher. The rule of selection is simple: once you're seen doing D/L = 1.0 or higher, you're "busted"! ;) Anyone who ventures into bellyflyer or poor tracking D/L land in a wingsuit, is automatically an honorable member of DLHoF.

I think the smoke is brought forward by the bigger suits, the curl over is larger... and hey my 2.94 to 1 in Marl was with the windsock hanging totally limp.
Dont know what the winds were when Toby won with his 3.1 to 1
Life is a series of wonderful opportunities,
brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.

tonysuits.com

Tony, the numbers from the jump would somewhat support your supposition, but I can't agree with you due to the mere principle that I should remain D/L king.

Ever ridden a motorcycle with a big windscreen on the front and hat on yo head? the hat blows off forward, from the back.

Sorry Guys:

Ed cut right to the point!

California weather continues to be beautiful from Lodi down to Perris and Elsinore.

Current Eloy weather for the past month has been SUNNY....NO RAIN.....NO CLOUDS....DEEP BLUE SKIES....70 DEGREES at day and 50 DEGREES at night.

Wife is playing "hookey" from work this Friday; motorcycles at night and wingsuits all weekend day long....heh, heh, heh.....

Tony, the numbers from the jump would somewhat support your supposition, but I can't agree with you due to the mere principle that I should remain D/L king.

Ever ridden a motorcycle with a big windscreen on the front and hat on yo head? the hat blows off forward, from the back.

ok, sure, I'll give you that but only if you relinquish the name Thunderbird, but hey weren't Ford using that name before the American Indians? :)
and the wind comes forward in a convertible the same way ah

tonysuits.com

Tony & Spot,

You nailed it - the giant burble behind a big air mattress is identical to a burble behind windshield of motorcycle or convertible, which makes hats and smoke fly forward.

But while with motorcycle or convertible this necessary comes with the ride, with wingsuit it's a totally unnecessary shame. Or, in D/L terms, a Pride. ;) Why would several very experienced jumpers not only fall in the same poor flying regime when all of them have a huge range above it, but also use smoke to emphasize this extremely poor aerodynamics - is beyond my understanding.

But, as a director of D/L Hall of Fame, I welcome new honorees regardless of their reasons. :)
As for 2.94, Tony, all I can say - don't trust GPS! A limp windsock doesn't mean anything about winds at altitude. See how easy even a small wind can substantially up the glide ratio:

Suppose, your true horizontal speed is 90mph and vertical 36mph (L/D = 2.5). With 20mph tail wind, glide ratio becomes 110/36 = 3.06.

2.5 -> 3.06... quite an "improvement" in "performance", eh?

20mph at altitude with a limp windsock is nothing. It's not uncommon to have 40-60mph at altitude with nil winds on the ground.

I know you are a very good flyer, but numbers, unless they are extracted from BASE data or from a balloon jump with wind profile measured with GPS during the climb to altitude, mean nothing.

That's why one year in Stupino the stars of wingsuit world flew at less then 2.0, while the next year some jumpers never heard of before flew at 3.0+. Because that next year everybody knew the forecast about strong wind day and waited for it. :)

Yuri

P.S. Spot, if you want to be The King again, you have to do something truly spectacular, D/L-wise. :)

P.S. Spot, if you want to be The King again, you have to do something truly spectacular, D/L-wise. :)

until you have the same sort of proof you used to declare me the king, I am still the king.
Can't disappoint my mom.

and the wind comes forward in a convertible the same way ah

Drag coefficients of Convertibles and coupes of the same model car tested experimentally and published as part of the specs. Which one do you think has more drag?

I know a station wagon going backwards has less drag than if it was going forwards, its more wing shaped going backwards ah so I bet the answer would be the convertable has more drag than the more arodynamic coupe

tonysuits.com

Tony & Spot,

You nailed it - the giant burble behind a big air mattress is identical to a burble behind windshield of motorcycle or convertible, which makes hats and smoke fly forward.

But while with motorcycle or convertible this necessary comes with the ride, with wingsuit it's a totally unnecessary shame.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You said it, Range, they like to go up [relatively] and forwards on break off, to soar like eagle's, good fun after the effort and strain of flocking at 100 MPH +, 2 foot from your partner for 2 minuets,

also an instructor likes to be able to out range the student,

ok Loic can out fly anyone in a small suit, but we're not all 6.4 and 130 pounds [a guess :)
I'm a little, fat, old man.... do ya think I would have won a distance event in a small suit?

max tracking in a wingsuit is a very subtle thing, sometimes you seem to "get it on" real nice and other times it just isn't there, that's skydiving for you I guess.

tonysuits.com