Megatron

Best canopy for wingsuit

The best small canopy for wingsuit.....a really bright one, so its easier to find after a cutaway:P

hahahaha

the best advice posted so far in this thread, other than WAIT to jump a wingsuit.

Moderately loaded square or semi elliptical canopy is your best bet with a wingsuit. All other bs is just that. I Personally fly a pilot, but use your judgement and stay with a predictable canopy so you can enjoy your wingsuit flights and not have GEAR FEAR!!

Justin
Wingsuit organizing, first flight courses and coaching
Flock University
Tonysuits

True in theory, but needless to say thats not always the case in practice.

If you can't make that 100% true all of the time in WS you have no business in a wingsuit. Learn to track, learn to track well, like your life depends on it after a freefall skydive..... then think about wingsuits and not until.

True in theory, but needless to say thats not always the case in practice.

How do you know this?

For one Ive seen it happen. Guy on wingsuit gets out before tandem, flies out then back, pulls at 3000 while the tandem pulled at 6k. Both canopies end up sharing airspace.

For one Ive seen it happen. Guy on wingsuit gets out before tandem, flies out then back, pulls at 3000 while the tandem pulled at 6k. Both canopies end up sharing airspace.

Can it happen? Yes. I've seen it happen, but only with other wingsuiters. If a wingsuiter is pulling in the same airspace as a tandem than they have no business in a wingsuit.
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

I thought wingsuiters usually exited after everyone else to avoid this type of thing.
"Power lines, they were just everywhere... and I remember thinking at that point I'm going, you know, I just survived my chute malfunction and now I'm going to hit power lines" - Scott Lutz

All Good Information Here! In summary square and docile no matter the manufacturer. Even the guys flying smaller canopies that are highly loaded still keep that canopy design SQUARE. What everybody has said falls in line to what I have witnessed:

- Johnathon Tagle - PD Velocity while flying an Birdman S-6. Saw him chop it.

- Scott Campos - PD Katana, while flying a Birdman Blade. Saw him chop it.

- My fellow wingman Shawn McLaughlin - PD Stilleto while flying an Birdman S-6, Saw him chop it; I followed his main and Freebag to the cotton field.

All HIGHLY LOADED ELLIPTICAL CANOPIES...ALL CHOPPED!

The accepted given assumption of a main canopy CHOP is not in my SOP. I don't go into the jump knowing that my main MIGHT burn me. I don't intentionally play with fire. I got TWO Spectre 170's and they do me fine. My wingman Shawn ditched his Stilleto for a Storm and is more happy with the openings, even with a a high wing loading.

Justin makes a good point of "gear fear"...you don't want that little small voice processing in your mind when your mind needs to be focued on the jump.

My wingman Nuclear Nick packs an F-111 245 7-Cell SharpChuter with a mesh slider and no deployment bag into his main container. I usually have to help him stuff the nylon in so the ST&A does not take notice. Scary pack job...opens perfectly every time.

F$ck swoop! Whatever happened to good old sport accuracy? Man back in college my buddies and I would place beer bets on who could stand it up closest to the middle of the peas. Our canopies lend themselves well to this. God I miss those days.

Can anybody confirm the rumor on the street that the USPA is going to now get involved in overseeing wingsuits? Additionally they will finally recognized wingsuits and make it a competitive event?

The very thought of 4 way sequential wingsuit RW combined with a team sport accuracy score really exicites me!

Any comments?

I'll comment ...

Hey, it's the freaking 21st century. Jumping a 7cell feels like it's 1983 again (yes, I was jumping then). They open nice, but they glide like a wounded duck and flare like a barn door. There are a number of modern 9cell parachutes that open well, fly well and land well. If fewer cells actually equaled better flight characteristics, we'd still be jumping 5cell Paraflite Stars and paragliding canopies wouldn't have 21 or more cells.

If you're base jumping, toss all this out the window and get yourself a minimal performance 7cell (you need it), but if you're skydiving, you've got more choices. Jump them all before you buy!

BTW, if all your buddies are having off heading openings, why would you buy the same parachute as they did?

What a boring to simply open at 3k without any intrigue and just drag along to DZ.. that's a horse of a different colour – when throw out PC and think – lets show begin..;)
At least I got all satisfaction for my 20$...:P(CF129, because of 1 rig for all....[:/])

based on my own experience I highly recommend you to devote your time to exploring the different types of canopies and things like this instead of trying explore wingsuits. yep, I may sound as boring as some other people in the thread:)

as to the canopies, I jump those of local production. there are only a few good things produced in my country and one of them is the canopies by www.skylark.com.ua company. in particular, I've mostly jumped with Skipper and Magellan (you can read about them on the web site, there is english version there) and you know what? they open sooooo smoothly and correct that I don't even notice how it happen:)

Best canopy for WS?
Best canopy for one can be the worst for another!
Fun canopy for one can be devastatingly boring for another...
Keep it simple....
Jump the canopy you are familiar with!
Size or performance does not really matter as long as you know you have knowledge and skill to handle the thing what is in your hands and above your head.
....velocity , VX, FX, sabre , radical, spark, stiletto, spectre, pilot skipper... does not matter at all...
WS - if it is used correctly has no effect on canopy flying and opening...
There is no need for big drama about this.
Robert Pecnik
[email protected]
www.phoenix-fly.com

well in my limited experience of 200 wingsuit skydives...
i actually prefer the crossfire2 openings.
jumped a sabre 2 for the first 60 or so jumps.
then switched to crossfires, first 149 now 129.
they open awesome. i pull always the same, full flight, base or plane and so far i never had problems. of course if i have heavy linetwists i know i will sooner or later chop it, but thats worth the fun i have on landing.
i think the lazybag i use also helps.
just pull clean and you are good.

I started wingsuit in March '09 with my Icarus Omega 170, weighing 11st without kit. I now have 200+ jumps on the canopy, which had 400-500 old when I got it '03, and love it but then it's the only one I own.
Nearly a 100 jumps this year has massively improved my confidence in all aspects and have ordered a set of new lines.

I didn't have a solid body flying background, like flat or freeflying, so needed to seek out some one-to-one wingsuit coaching (especially for deployment position). My first 30 WS jumps were on my own so had to relearn a lot.

Footnote:
Unfortunately, I missed all the flashing lights and funky noises when I 270'd it into the deck in '04, on an off landing, having knocked myself out. I don't even remember the helicopter ride (to the hospital).

TITANIUM Gecko!!
www.gathhelmets.co.uk
www.flyyourbody.com