RogerThat

Preparation for wing suit

Hello, I'm new here (on dropzone). My name is Roger Nelson, and I've just started jumping almost five months ago, and now have 21 jumps. I'd have more but winter weather, lack of funds, and school have kept me from jumping as much as I'd like to. At this point I've enjoyed tracking the most, and I'm pretty positive that Wing suiting is a direction I'd like to go in once I have the experience. I'd like to ask some more experienced wing suiters what I could be doing in future jumps, besides doing tracking dives to prepare for a wing suit. I'm also curious how you keep track of your altitude (I've never been able to see a my chest altimeter in free fall) and I assume a lot of you guys and gals use audibles, but is there any other way. Thanks.
"Power lines, they were just everywhere... and I remember thinking at that point I'm going, you know, I just survived my chute malfunction and now I'm going to hit power lines" - Scott Lutz

Thanks for the tip, I would have done that, but I thought I'd introduce myself to the forum, and I couldn't find any information on how wing suiters can see their altimeters.
"Power lines, they were just everywhere... and I remember thinking at that point I'm going, you know, I just survived my chute malfunction and now I'm going to hit power lines" - Scott Lutz

I'd like to ask some more experienced wing suiters what I could be doing in future jumps, besides doing tracking dives to prepare for a wing suit.

We've put a section online at http://flylikebrick.com/wingsuit-faq.php that has a paragraph with this exact thread title...it has some information..

I'm also curious how you keep track of your altitude (I've never been able to see a my chest altimeter in free fall)

Completely ignoring the wingsuit factor, but might it be time for you to switch to a wristmounted altimeter you can actually read during freefall?
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

I use 5 altimeters: One audible in my helmet, a wrist mounted alti-master, a wrist mounted neptune, and another neptune usually kept in a cargo pocket on my pants (I use the one on my wrist for altitude awareness as well as data, and compare the data with the one I keep in my pocket).
The fifth one is the Mk. 1 eyeball: I use 2 of those. ;)

The best things in life are dangerous.

Hey thanks a lot for that link.

Completely ignoring the wingsuit factor, but might it be time for you to switch to a wristmounted altimeter you can actually read during freefall?

LOL, I always use a wrist mounted altimeter, but I've been told to wear a chest mounted as well. When I track I can't see either, which is frustrating because I often terminate the track too early and realize I'm only at 6000-5000 ft. I don't know if my chest strap is too high or what; and I figure with a wing suit (or tracking) having your arms out of sight I find it hard to imagine being able to clearly see a wrist mounted altimeter.

Thanks again.

Use a mudflap mount altimeter. It straps over your left or right mudflap. Does not bend back in the airflow, like a chest mount. you can find one herehttp://www.square1.com/manufacturers/square1/p231.asp#BHMudflapMount

Justin
Wingsuit organizing, first flight courses and coaching
Flock University
Tonysuits

Roger, you can also use a LED or LCD light that you mount on goggles or visor of a helmet:

http://www.l-and-b.dk/accessories.html

I think the main thing you need is an audible altimiter and if you felt you wanted the additional light then get one of those as well....

Shorb, to make a clicky click the url button before and after your link. :)

Why wouldn't you be able to see either a wrist- or a chestmount altimeter? With some practice, you should be able to simply look at the chestmount without falling out of your track, and if you turn your handpalms up you can look at the wristmount, again, with some practice, without falling out of the track. Both of these would actually improve your track position .. :)
Only thing I've found that does not work well is a Neptune as a handmount at dusk (sunset); then the viewing angle makes it impossible for me to read the screen.

Johan.
I am. I think.

Only thing I've found that does not work well is a Neptune as a handmount at dusk (sunset); then the viewing angle makes it impossible for me to read the screen.

I've also found that a Neptune with a broken LCD screen does not work well. :P
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

Thanks for everyone's advice, I'll look into getting a mudflap mount, once I get my own rig that is. In the meantime, I'll try looking at my wrist mounted altimeter while in a track. My track isn't quite refined yet, sometimes I do great, other times I look like a swimming dolphin. so I've been pretty focused on just getting the track right, but I'll give it a try next time I do a solo track.

Thanks again
Roger

What I meant was in terms of money, getting a rig is my first priority, so I can stop paying for rental. Then I'll start buying the other gear. I don't have much money so every dollar counts. Since I've started skydiving I've made a lot of other sacrifices to pay for jumps and to save up for a rig, I'm at the point where I'm considering selling plasma.