nikaru

Shoes and equipment for softer landing

nikaru

However, what I was looking for is some form of orthopedic solution for my knee to reduce the stress and pressure on the knee joint. I will for sure consult my doctor and instructor to see if there is something they could recommend.

Lets clear this up very simply. There is not a magic orthopedic device or pair of shoes that will make up for crappy landing technique. The best action is to learn proper landing technique and learn to do a really good PLF for a plan B.

Any device/shoes have minimal benefit and can be of detriment as they can distribute a impact to another location and break/stress that.

You can keep asking the same question and the answer will be the same irrespective of how many times you ask.

I'm pretty sure the easiest way to relieve pressure on the knee is to bend it. :)

Good on you for wanting to consult your doctor, ultimately the doc knows what's up with your body and you can discuss risks of injury and how to mitigate them. It may be helpful to explain the expected impact from landing as similar to jumping off a height of 4-5' and PLFing to distribute impact over your whole body. Doctors don't always understand skydiving stuff. Best of luck!

skytribe

Any device/shoes have minimal benefit and can be of detriment as they can distribute a impact to another location and break/stress that.

Are you one of those guys who jumps barefoot? Those guys look cool. Just land really well and you'll have no problems! Genius!

Just throwing this out there although it won't help for knees much a stiffer shoe that resists torsion is better for feet. I had been thinking the opposite until I reinjured my old ankle injury last year and told the doc about my situation in skydiving.

Just go to any medical equipment facility hospitals usually have them you don't necessarily need a prescription to get medical braces and explain your situation to them.

Of course though take a canopy course, even if you have already might as well do another one and practice PLFing, PLF in the bar, PLF walking down the street just PLF all the damn time but well make sure there is grass or if there is concrete wear a helmet...full face...and we want video of this..............good luck!!! ;)

gunsmokex

Just throwing this out there although it won't help for knees much a stiffer shoe that resists torsion is better for feet. I had been thinking the opposite until I reinjured my old ankle injury last year and told the doc about my situation in skydiving.

Just go to any medical equipment facility hospitals usually have them you don't necessarily need a prescription to get medical braces and explain your situation to them.

Of course though take a canopy course, even if you have already might as well do another one and practice PLFing, PLF in the bar, PLF walking down the street just PLF all the damn time but well make sure there is grass or if there is concrete wear a helmet...full face...and we want video of this..............good luck!!! ;)

Anything that one would wear going for a run on a rocky trail is the max you should wear. Anything more restrictive and you're again limiting your ability to correctly land and max risk injuring something else. If you can't go for a run on a rocky trail you should think twice about skydiving.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

I've never landed a skydive on rocks or a rocky trail or a hill, slope or anything of that nature. I've also seen plenty of skydivers that would have a hard time running on anything let alone a rocky trail... but hey I think a lot of people out there that shouldn't be skydiving that do.
BASE 1519

wasatchrider

I've never landed a skydive on rocks or a rocky trail or a hill, slope or anything of that nature. I've also seen plenty of skydivers that would have a hard time running on anything let alone a rocky trail... but hey I think a lot of people out there that shouldn't be skydiving that do.

I'm sure you understand that your run-out may not be on a golf course putting green.

I tell tandems to show up wearing what they'd wear for a run through the woods. It gets rid of confusion pretty easily.

DJL

I'm sure you understand that your run-out may not be on a golf course putting green.

I tell tandems to show up wearing what they'd wear for a run through the woods. It gets rid of confusion pretty easily.

Don't you end up with some of the students showing up with hiking boots when you describe it that way?

I get enough students that think they are going mountaineering without mentioning that they prepare for a day in the woods, lol. Off to the shoe bin they go.

If it is working, great, but isn't it easier to ask them to wear athletic shoes, no sandals, no boot or shoes with heels.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

Nope, emphasis on run.

Edit: Not sure why I'm spending time on this but the coversation is. Dress appropriate for the weather and wear sneakers. You'll be provided with a jumpsuit to wear over your clothing but dress as if you're going for a run in the woods.

FlyLikeARaven

Coccyx, but yea (and holy shit that word is hard to spell). PLF PLF PLF. I was a shit canopy pilot up until a couple of months ago and finally got my timing right. PLF is what saved me from getting broken on some terrible high flares in no wind. If you can't PLF, go to a judo gym once or twice and have the instructor teach you how to fall. Pretty sure my background in martial arts is what gave me the ability to eat shit and hop right back up again.

I'm still working on my canopy skills, and I'm getting better. But this winter had me eating it quite a bit.

Edit: coxis is Spanish for coccyx. My bad! Thanks for teaching me a new word!

As pre-adolescent children we would run and jump from a barn loft, maybe 8 feet high, hit, roll, and go do it again. The goal was to see who could go the longest distance before hitting. This seemed to be part of our playing paratrooper. as my uncle was Army Airborne at the time. Taking a fall was part of growing up.
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

skytribe

However, what I was looking for is some form of orthopedic solution for my knee to reduce the stress and pressure on the knee joint. I will for sure consult my doctor and instructor to see if there is something they could recommend.

Lets clear this up very simply. There is not a magic orthopedic device or pair of shoes that will make up for crappy landing technique. The best action is to learn proper landing technique and learn to do a really good PLF for a plan B.

You can keep asking the same question and the answer will be the same irrespective of how many times you ask.

I think that I explained myself perfectly and yet you seems to ignore my point. I’m pretty much aware what caused my injury and would definitely make everything necessary to perfect my landing technique in order to avoid future traumas. HOWEVER, what I was looking for was a solution to deal with the consequences of the injury I currently have, not what I should be doing to avoid broken bones in the future (although I appreciate very much every advice on that matter from more experienced jumpers). I don’t try to make up for my crappy landing by putting some magical shoes or device. This is completely separate thing and has nothing to do with how good or bad my landing is or will be on my next jump.

skytribe

How about these Soft Landing Shoes

or these

Spongy soled shoes

Go have fun trying these. These should soften your landings up and if they don't then

Dont know if you are trying to be funny or mean, but after being said that I wont be able to jump for 8 months, Im not in a mood for the type of stupidity that is coming out of you. Hope you can understand at least that.

"a solution to deal with the injury you have" is a question for your doctor. If your doc says wearing a brace will help prevent injury if you jump from 3-4' high and land on your broken parts (after you heal, obviously), then discuss that brace specifically with your instructors to see if they are ok with that.

Braces limit motion in the sky; a problem for passing jumps and controlling your body parts in the sky. Braces redistribute load upon impact and may contribute to injury in certain circumstances - that's the question for your doctor. Personally, I don't take students who think they need to wear braces. If you're that scared you might hurt yourself, you shouldn't jump. Other instructors may take you on, but not me. Get your fitness/PT level up to where you don't need the brace, then jump.

"a solution to deal with the injury you have" is a question for your doctor. If your doc says wearing a brace will help prevent injury if you jump from 3-4' high and land on your broken parts (after you heal, obviously), then discuss that brace specifically with your instructors to see if they are ok with that.

Talk to your Doctor - rather than strangers online who have no medical knowledge of your specific medical conditions.

Braces limit motion in the sky; a problem for passing jumps and controlling your body parts in the sky. Braces redistribute load upon impact and may contribute to injury in certain circumstances - that's the question for your doctor. Personally, I don't take students who think they need to wear braces. If you're that scared you might hurt yourself, you shouldn't jump. Other instructors may take you on, but not me. Get your fitness/PT level up to where you don't need the brace, then jump.

Well said, Sam. If your that concerned with your current medical condition then discuss with your doctor and then make the decision. Then discuss with your instructors.

Dont know if you are trying to be funny or mean, but after being said that I wont be able to jump for 8 months, Im not in a mood for the type of stupidity that is coming out of you. Hope you can understand at least that.

Don't keep asking the same question expecting a different answer. The type of stupidity that is coming out of me is telling you to get proper landing instruction from your instructors. That sounds like a really stupid answer. Get a grip and read what is being said and not only reading what you want to hear.

In the present, discuss your medical conditions with your Doctor / PT for rehabbing back to correct levels of strength and fitness.

In the future, landing technique is the only correct answer to avoid future injury. No special shoes or braces are going to change that answer and if you don't address that problem then the chances of re-injuring yourself are high. And if that doesn't work a good PLF may help.

As you said, "you wont be able to jump for 8 months" - you may want to consider the PT route, then the training route before you start asking for magic shoes/braces as a fix for problem. You obviously have time. And the answer will still be the same - there are no magic personal equipment fixes to make landings softer.

And when you do start jumping discuss with your local instructors who will be able to assess your abilities/limitations by seeing your training/jumping rather than putting something out there to the world to comment on who have never seen anything you have done.

You'll probably have more success that way. Local instructors tend to be invested in their students.

As others have said, spend the time strengthening wvwrything and practising landing.

Be careful when you do return, that you don't favour your injured leg at the expense of the other. I've seen several people return from a leg injury, then injure the other one because they focussed too much on protecting the old injury.

A good PLF will deal with any issues.
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

I broke my Tibia Plateau into several fragments 17 days ago while jumping tired and hungry and performing a manoeuvre I hadn't received instruction on (270 to final). I wish there was a shoe that would soften the impact of landing as well, but I'm looking ato upsizing my canopy and sticking to plain Jane vanilla approach and landings.

Nothing beats instruction and the ability to remain teachable.

Good luck with your recovery.

John

I do not know for you, but I wear basketball "high top" trainers. They are made for supporting your ankles and have a nice large, flat, grippy, surface.

I was braking a bit high not long ago on a hot and windless day, so I dropped from somewhere a meter to the ground. I put my legs togheter and the high top shoes helped me stabilise my ankles a bit more. So all I got was a bit of a sore ankle for a few hours. I was back in the air that day and I landed no problem.

So my best recommendation is to buy shoes with a large flat surface and good ankle/foot support.

I would also like to stress out that the images provided are not any commercial, I don't work for any shoe company. ;)

My personal recommendation on shoes based upon my personal experience and personal desires is the oldest pair of sneakers I own with worn away tread. That way I can slide my feet across the ground with no grip and not have to run until I've slowed down a bit.

Okanagan_Jumper

I broke my Tibia Plateau into several fragments 17 days ago while jumping tired and hungry and performing a manoeuvre I hadn't received instruction on (270 to final). I wish there was a shoe that would soften the impact of landing as well, but I'm looking ato upsizing my canopy and sticking to plain Jane vanilla approach and landings.

Nothing beats instruction and the ability to remain teachable.

Good luck with your recovery.

John

There is help on the way:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuO0tdF3ySA

skytribe

Proper landing technique works best.

I've seen people land barefoot so I'll agree to forget special shoes. There are "jump boots" but they're for round chutes that make you land vertically instead of in a glide.

When starting out, I would suggest the sliding landing. It allows you to get closer to the ground before flaring all the way.

After some jumps and you get more comfortable judging distances, then you can go for standup landings. Students will suck at judging height in the beginning and the sliding landing is more forgiving during that time.

It's not "proper" and probably no AFFI would teach it but looking back, I consider it irresponsible to tell a student to try to land on 2 feet. Landing-related injuries are unfortunately common for AFF students and the sliding landing could've prevented many if not most of them.

jrodrod

When starting out, I would suggest the sliding landing.
It's not "proper" and probably no AFFI would teach it

Exactly. A mis-timed flare (like when you're learning) with your feet up ready to slide means all the pressure is on your tailbone and spine. I personally know 3 jumpers who have broken their backs this way. Please don't do it.

PLF position puts you ready to PLF and roll out that landing (there's a reason they did PLFs when jumping rounds), and when you get flare timing right, a "ready to PLF" position has you ready to stand, run, or walk out the horizontal movement.

OP: Please, please talk to your instructors before taking Internet advice. While most posters here are trying to be helpful, not everyone understands what advice is appropriate for students.

Way to make a straw man argument. Sliding landing is not landing on your back.

Tandems do sliding landings often. Yea it's not possible to PLF with 2 people but mainly it's less injury prone and easier.

OP has already gotten hurt, like many others, trying feet first and PLF. Spouting the dated official line is what got him hurt. Good feet first landings early on are luck.

Beware internet advice that tells you to ignore something that the poster doesn't understand in the first place.

What youre leaving out is: students land poorly. They mis-time flares, don't flare at all, don't complete the flare, make a bunch of turns on final so there's no power in their flare, and come up with plenty of other ways to scare their instructors that they're going to hurt themselves. Land poorly feet first and you can PLF out the speed using your legs as a spring and rolling. Land poorly on your butt (i.e. legs out to slide in) leaves your spine as the only thing to compress to absorb that pressure.

The 3 broken backs I know from skydivers (4 if you count my Dr's only square canopy jump in 1983) were compression fractures from hard landings on their butts - all were new or students who chose to try and slide instead on PLF. The one I saw was 10 feet high, super fast deep flare (common mistake) and the student dropped straight down onto their butt, fracturing some vertebrae in their lumbar spine. I'e seen people plant their feet trying to force a stand up landing who sprain/tweak stuff in their legs, and one broken ankle, but planting your feet is not a PLF. If you're light on your feet to start that roll (which only comes from practice), the momentum carries through your body. It's a personal choice in the moment to PLF or not, but I dont know of anyone getting more than bruises or muddy clothes from a plf, even a sideways ugly one.

Regarding tandems: there's a minimum of 500 jumps, 3 years, 4 licenses and a coach rating to start tandem training. Landings have to be signed off by the examiner before you get your rating and then continually ok'd by your dz to be employed as a TI, quite the difference from a student landing a canopy for the first time.