kevin922

First wingsuit jump....(Year)

It was my jump 245 when I took my FFC with Joni on August 31, 2007 during Couch Freaks. Later that day I went solo for my 2nd WS jump wich happend to be a Pink Mafia load, and for some reason the pilot took the Skyvan to 16500'. :) I think 4 different girls flashed him. Thank you ladies, that felt like I flew to Canada and back to Iowa. Same boogie next year I did my 100th WS jump.

HISPA #93
DS #419.5

My first wingsuit flight was on July 3, 2008 with a Phoenix-Fly Phantom II out of a Cessna 206. I didn't have an instructor or a coach but I did have various manuals, videos, and this forum.

I had similar first flight. C207 and Skyflyer 3 without any instructor and coach. But Then I had more than 600 jumps.

First flight, late August 2008. BM Firebird, no coach, but some friendly advice from other DZ birds. Now have a little over 100 wingsuit jumps. Thanks to Chuck and the other Z-Flock and Flock U guys for making my January filled with jumps instead of sub-zero temperatures. See you guys at F/D 5.0!
Sky Canyon Wingsuiters

Kim Griffin actually trained my FFC.

Oh the lovely Kimmy G, I hope she is doing well. She ground trained a bunch of us en mass 10+ back in 01~02 I forget. But we were weathered out so no actual flights despite Jari, Kim and ten other "experienced" birds standing by to take us up. Most of the serious ones already had our own suits.

Eight of those guys just jumped solo when weather got better later in the week. I actually was contacted by a "birdman instructor" to finish the flight portion of the course the next weekend. He wanted slot plus cash. I was OK with that.

Skyvan exit splendid, fantastic flight, hooked for life, me. The instructor performed the most ground hungry spaz flail exit I've ever seen. I thought he was going to die for sure. Something that would make you fail an AFF level and told never to come back to a DZ. I should have asked for my cash back+ my slot but euphoria from my stellar flight cemented my soul on cloud nine and all I could think about was more so I got back in line for the skyvan.

I took several months of jokes from my 6 solo wingsuit friends for having hired the "instructor" that taught me so poorly. I only wish I was flying video ( not recommended, I complied) to capture the spaz-o-matic to put on skydiving movies. That might have put an early end to the factory approved wingsuit instructor foolishness we see today.

Its sad that was only the first in a line of many wingsuit instructor frauds that we've seen. Believe it or not it got worst after that. It was four years later that we finally met a "wingsuit instructor" that we couldn't outfly by a huge margin. One we could respect. A few years later another good one and then another good one, really the few. But the legions of shit birds that paraded by claiming instructor status, spare me the pain.

But that taught us ( mostly me)if we take up a new wingsuiter to make it more memorable, like it should be. We didn't charge slot+ plus time+suit rental. We were not selling anybrand of suit. More often than not there was video ( no charge for the dub or dubs) just a welcome to join us any time and a hope you buy any suit and join us more often.

My first flight will never be as memorable to me as other persons first flights I've conducted or challenging fun flights I've been on.