kevin922

Wingsuits 202

So, I haven't bought skydiving stuff in a while now.. got on square 1 and saw this video out.. I can't recall seeing another skydiving video that was $80.00 like this! Is that a typo?

Is there some special hidden footage included in that ??

edit to add:

oh wait, I found another one :)

Each of those DVDs is 60 minutes of training & bonus material. WS 202 is the reason I'm reading articles here in the WS forum now: I edited most of that video for the DVD and in the process I got quite interested in wingsuits. Before that I had only 2 WS jumps, spread out over 2 years. Wingsuiting seemed interesting but it didn't excite me... so I went back to CRW & freefall

Watching Justin Shorb & Scotty Burns in these WS 101 and 202 videos changed my mind, or opened my eyes to what can be done with wingsuits. They take the time to explain deatails about preparing, dirt-diving, gearing up, exiting, etc, then they launch into more advanced topics like smooth rolls, 1/2 rolls, docking, stalling, dealing with instability, & more.

Each of these DVDs is 60 mins, and well worth the price, because in that 60 minutes they pack a lot of info. One like me, who's learning about wingsuiting, needs to go back and rewatch it at least a few times to learn all the tips & tricks.

I still don't have a WS of my own yet, but I'm working on it. Scotty's footage and Justin's instruction got me hooked on this discipline :)

Chris

Alright, time for some simple math.

Say you wanna get some wingsuit coaching.
You pay your slot: $25, your coach's slot: another $25, perhaps your coach's packjob, $5, maybe you're lazy enough that you pay your own packjob as well, another $5, that brings you already to $60. If you're getting coached by one of the world-renowned very skilled wingsuit instructors out there, chances are there is also a coaching fee, cause, you know, they gotta eat, too :). This may very well bring the total cost waaay beyond that of this DVD. And that's just one jump!!!

Okay, scratch that. So maybe you're good friends with your wingsuit instructor and they don't charge you a coaching fee. Common sense still tells you to pay for their slot, since they're taking time to coach you. 2 such jumps are already 20 bucks beyond the price of this DVD.

Scratch that, too. So maybe you're a cheap ass like most skydivers and only pay for your slot, and take full advantage of the kindness of your coach who's basically teaching you for free. (Yes, not gonna lie, I've done that, too :)Or better yet, you think you can learn it all by yourself, just through trial and error. In this case, 3 jumps and one packjob covers the value of this DVD.
No matter how you put it, those few jumps won't come anywhere close to covering all the knowledge packed in one of these instructional DVDs.
So perhaps it's not such a high price to pay after all...
Besides, nobody's forcing you to buy it:P

When I get some extra cash I'm totally buying 101 to show to all my whuffo friends and whuffo chicks. Of course I'm going to tell all the chicks I'm the one in the red and white suit and Justin is the one potato chipping up a storm. :ph34r::D

you could even buy a wingsuit matching Justin's colors just to properly back up your claims :P

When I get some extra cash I'm totally buying 101 to show to all my whuffo friends and whuffo chicks. Of course I'm going to tell all the chicks I'm the one in the red and white suit and Justin is the one potato chipping up a storm. :ph34r::D

you could even buy a wingsuit matching Justin's colors just to properly back up your claims :P

Why would anyone possibly wanna look like Justin. :P:D

mhm, why should i pay for something thats readily available here!?

and jarno only charges his slot, and i'm not a even a friend of that cock-sucking, weed-smoking flying little dutchmen! :D:D:D

besides the point, everyone knows i has mad skills and dont need no stinking coaching from nobody! :P;):):D

“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

mhm, why should i pay for something thats readily available here!?

true, but did you compare the length of the videos? not saying this is a sole basis for comparison, just pointing out that you're dealing with a different kind of product...

Basic skills: Upfloating: 1:03 + Docking: 3:11 + FrontLoops: 1:14 + Forward Speed: 2:03 + Need for Speed: 2:14
Total: 9:45
Wingsuits 101: 60mins!
9:45 vs 60:00... not quite the same kind of thing

Backflying-related stuff:
Backflying: 2:31 + Barrel Rolls: 1:27 = Total: 3:58
Wingsuits 202 - Backflying = 60 mins
3:58 vs. 60:00... again, not quite equal!
grand total: 13: 43 vs 120 mins

Don't get me wrong, I am by no means trying to criticize Jarno's instructional videos, I've always thought those clips are awesome and I found them extremely useful ever since I started learning how to fly wingsuits, and I love Jarno for putting that stuff out there. For a long time it was pretty much the only wingsuit instructional information available in video format.
However, my point is that you're still comparing apples and oranges. You're looking at a lot of detailed information in these DVD's.

and jarno only charges his slot, and i'm not a even a friend of that cock-sucking, weed-smoking flying little dutchmen! :D:D:D

You and I are lucky for having good ws flyers at our dz's, who can help us learn faster. However, think about the jumper who got to do his/her first flight at a boogie, got really excited about wingsuiting, bought a suit, and returned to his/her home dz only to realize that there aren't that many people to flock with. This person ends up doing a lot of solos and has no clue what to work on next. It's not like one can get the cash to travel to boogies non-stop... In the absence of a good coach, a high quality instructional DVD can really come in handy.

It's sad that there is so much bitching in our little wingsuiting community. Perhaps whoever doesn't like the price can work on producing equivalent (yet cheaper) video training tools, and then, if there's a lot of competition, basic economic rules will drive the prices to whatever value they need to be at. There is so little instructional info available for wingsuit pilots right now, that I really think we should give these guys a lot more support for their efforts in educating new birdies.

okay, now you can all go back to the stories of sucking each other's cocks, while smoking weed and pretending not to...

*edit* some of the posts above have changed, but I think the jist of the text I wrote is positive towards both products, so Ill leave it up *edit*

I don't want to mingle in all this, as I think its two separate products.

But comparing short/incomplete clips (of a full DVD) available on youtube/vimeo to the stuff costyn/alex and I put a lot of love/time and effort into, just because it shares the same length is a bit weird.
And feels like putting down our work, to promote your own..

Just standing by your product and saying its worth the money for whats taught and shown in it would have sufficed...

Silly math on duration doesn't mean a thing, and though I greatly applaud the effort of putting the DVDs out, and hoping more instructional materials will become available on this subject the coming years...just saying the DVDs are a good product, and confirming they teach you a great deal is more than enough.

If you do want to use numbers:
Anyone skydiving typically spends the amount of money the DVD costs on a less than a full day of jumping.
Spending 80 dollars on 12 minutes of un-coached freefall on a day, and then thinking a 1+ hour DVD with coaching/instructional materials on them for the same amount of money is expensive...now that's comparing apples and oranges..

And that's a comparison with a message..and one that's says something about your product without putting down someone elses..

As to the local herbs Holland is famous for...though I couldn't care less what anyone else uses or used once or a lot.....sugar and vodka is the most anyone will ever catch me on....Im high on ADHD and life..thats enoughB|
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

...Im high on ADHD and life..thats enoughB|

same here mate!

so, i didnt want to post this publicly.. actually, one week ago, i had my first runs on the tonysuit mach1. i did so, after 4 jumps on the prodigy (2 about a year ago) and 5 on a classicII just recently. sold on the classic, so i was left with nothing than the mach1!. mhm, big fucking deal, lots of fabric, slightly changed pull-sequence, no aerials below 6000ft, pull-time at around 4500ft! BIG-FUCKING-DEAL..

when i was under canopy, everyone from the load was already landed, distance sucked compared to the prodigy, so fuckiing what!? you guys better refer to me as THE LEGEND from now on.. ;)
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

I don't want to mingle in all this, as I think its two separate products.

exactly! they are two separate products. and that was the point I was trying to make. Not trying to put down your work at all. It's awesome, and like I said before, I love your videos, too. It's just different, hence one can't claim that everything in these dvd's is already available online, because it's not the same. Not implying it's worse, or better, or anything... just different type of product!

These DVD's are just a service we are providing. There is a lot of great advice and instruction out there. I fully encourage the use of the FLB online tutorials. I have actually encouraged students to check them out on the FLB website to see examples. And wingsuits 101 and 202 give the viewer plenty of great info to build their skills on.

Whether you are looking for a full featured video for instruction, or you just want some tips there is something out there to satisfy everyones needs. The end user knows what they need. If you buy Our DVD, you WILL take something away from it. We have structured it so you can take a few things and work on it, then do it again with something else to work on.

As always NOTHING can replace a good coach. If you want to expedite your learning curve, then hire one. If you think you do not need a coach, then you dont. and that is fine, but the people who coach have to cover costs and some of us do it full time. We are there to provide a service, and when we do, we are professional and we take it seriously.

Jarno and Macca, all the Main Euro flyers I have met and flown with are Great flyers and Instructors, If your at a dz where they are, hire them for a jump, you wont be upset you did. And any Flock U coach you hire for a jump will give you results you can be happy with.

Bottom line is we are all trying to do the same thing: define and construct a new discipline that is emerging and growing fast. there is no competition here, just a united community working towards sport dominance!:)
Justin

Wingsuit organizing, first flight courses and coaching
Flock University
Tonysuits