Oddern

Monowing or Tri wing

What do people prefer? A monowing or Tri wingsuit? Myselfe I fly tri wing. Never tried a mono wing. Some one have much experience flying both tri and monowing?
Whats the best/worst with one or the other?

Would be nice getting some ideas of people out there :)

With the blurred design aspects, I think monowing/triwing is at the moment only still used to describe a flying technique.

Where tri-wing flying is a rigid body, and flapping wings and opening/closing them and the mono-wing technique is always having the wings open and tight, and working with the angle of your body and chest a lot more to get where you want to go.

Loic is one of the finest examples of aforementioned flying technique..
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Where tri-wing flying is a rigid body, and flapping wings and opening/closing them and the mono-wing technique is always having the wings open and tight, and working with the angle of your body and chest a lot more to get where you want to go.

and also allows you to move your hips inside the suit...;)
Patrick de Guillebon

and also allows you to move your hips inside the suit...;)

That works for everyone who doesnt have an American style ass:P
But sad jokes aside (had to loose a few kilo's recently myself:S) every suit can be flown with hip inputs.

I think the only real difference is palms up/palms down style flying in terms of your arm position, and quite a few suits these days offer both (depending on how you like to fly)
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

I have at aprox. 70 monowing fligths... The difference is not only the palms up or down, That is just one aspect. The hips moving is much more efficient in a monowing than in a triwing imo.

Other than that the difference imo:

When you put on a monowing you notice that it is quite baggy to wear compared to a triwing suit that has been made to fit you. Though the trend is to make the triwings slightly less tight on your body, there is a big difference in this feeling between the monowing and the triwing. So if you have a big ass, you can absolutely hide it in a monowing
:ph34r:. It can be more comfortable to wear when it is hot.

With a monowing in the air, you have to hold arms out and stretch the profile of the suit at all times. If you don't; you will get punished. Well the same goes for the triwing only to a much less degree.

With the monowing: In the air, the legs/legwing functions more os less the same as in a triwing. You fly with straight legs. Straight legs? yes. And you can brake by dropping knees or bending legs as in e triwing. You can fly very stable with the legwing collapsed as with a triwing.

I find that the Monowing in general is more relaxed and simple to fly. Takes less strength as well, I can fly ws twice as much in this suit before getting too tired. And it packs some neat tricks also. Pushing the shoulders down i.e. just 5 cm as the only flying position change, makes you zoom upwards very fast!, that is my favorite monowing feature. Doing this in a triwing takes much more input.

If flyyourbody had a size (M++) or (L-) I would for sure fly a monowing at all times. So do you fit the suit? If not... Bad luck.

Hope that helped.

Takes less strength as well, I can fly ws twice as much in this suit before getting too tired.

I dont think thats a completely accurate statement.
Many people experience exactly that same thing the other way around.
My first few jumps on an S-Fly Expert killed me completely after just 2 jumps.
It just depends on which muscles have developed more due to flying that type of wingsuit more or less than the other one.

Many people see it as two completely different things, but again..I think its just different flying techniques which can be used on either style suit.

And many suits from Tony and PF exibit a design thats also much more akin to a mono-wing than the classic tri-wing designs. Forming one flat surface on the lower surface when stretched tight, and allowing much finer controll through hips and shoulders.

Learning to actually fly a wingsuit that way (and efficient, without overcorrections causing a lot of slipping and sliding within formations) is a whole other story...
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

I dont think thats a completely accurate statement.

Well as I wrote: In my opinion (imo). So I have to stand by that. And I do ;)

My first few jumps on an S-Fly Expert killed me completely after just 2 jumps.

I never had that experience myself. On the contrary, from the very first flight (and that was a 25 way jump) It really hit me that less strength was required. Being so apparent to me, maybe others have got that experience as well? Let's hear..

I never had that experience myself. On the contrary, from the very first flight (and that was a 25 way jump) It really hit me that less strength was required. Being so apparent to me, maybe others have got that experience as well? Let's hear..

Just browse the bazillion posts here, and you'll read these comments on just about every single suit being heavy or light to fly when compared to another model or brand..

Its all about muscle strength and practice...
Which is the same reason I have an automaticly built in right-hand turn:P:S
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

No sorry, I don't want to browse every post here... Listening to my fellow wingsuiters in my own backyard having more or less the exact same experience as me reg mono vs. tri provides some knowledge. But then again your experience was different? So it is. As for your "right hand" turn; you could start using your left hand a bit or maybe seek "assistance" :o

Listening to my fellow wingsuiters in my own backyard having more or less the exact same experience as me reg mono vs. tri provides some knowledge

it provides an oppinion based on what they are used to...

Go to a DZ where most people fly 'tri-wing suits' or some of the more modern wing designs which you could rate in one or both catagories, and ask the same question, and the answer is the other way around...

"Opinions are like a@*holes, everybody has one" right:P

But more serious..
Even within one brand, the wing-pressure can vary greatly from suit to suit.. ..

With FYB only having two full wingsuits out (for now..when is that flocking suit hitting the market?), its hard to compare it to other manufacturers who have 8 to 275(tonysuit joke) different models out there.. (as most of you seen to be talking about 'S-Fly' instead of Mono-wing in general, which is produced by more than one company/brand)

Tri-wing vs mono-wing is just a term...flying your body is a essential skillB|

"Stop flapping, start flying" should be a bumper-sticker on everyones suit (including mine..just watch that Zell-Am-Zee video from two years ago..man I was flappin there:S)
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

OK, OK, OK Jarno ! you are right !

I'm sure it is still possible to order a matter MTR3 suit...;)

to resume and from my little point of view :

the main caracteristic of the mono wing is the need of putting "tension" in the suit and having a tonic body position during flight... similar to freefly.

the more energy you give, the more you get ! Babylon team wingsuiting remain the best example !

I like both type, it's just the attitude who 's different !

cheerio :)

Patrick de Guillebon

I think the guy starting this thread was after opinions on what the diff. between the two types of WS would be. And this is opinion based. And that is okay. Those opinions can be more or less brand biased.

Personally I have no affiliation with any WS makers, If someday I try a new fantastic WS - no matter what brand, being addicted I will get it sooner or later.

In my backyard most are flying tri wings, Birdman is big here. Now, some have switched to FYB monowings after trying one out. Reasons given was that they where less tirering and it is hard to really describe the "different feeling" that you experience flying this type of suit.

Today I fly a tri wing. Reason is it fits me like a glove. I did have 2 monowings but I sold them because the sizes that would fit me the best, where actually a bit to tight - kind of defeating the purpose of the monowing.

Still, to me, the best "flying experience" I ever had, came from flying a FYB monowing. Zun: if you read this... You french guys are too skinny. yeah, lets put it like that.

On your point about putting "tension", aarthus, is this possibly not because of the inlet design and sizing?

The small inlets on the arm and the leg have to inflate the suit. The inlets are parallel to the surface of the suit and have to fill a lot more volume. There are also more places on these suits(can comment based on the S-fly expert I flew) where the air can escape from and that causes the inlets to be even less efficient.

When the relative wind is at a small angle, these inlets will perform poorly.

The flyer has to compensate and tension the suit. The guy that flew the Pro-fly for 5:45 gets major kudos.

These are still pretty fun to fly. As the other guy said, if they only made them in M++ and L-.

i would say it is not difficult to find your pc but i find that the rig is in a slightly different place than on the ground due to the inflation. i have jumped only one other non monowing (prodigy 1) and there is a very different feel. the prodigy doesnt inflate at all and so it feels like a regular skydive pull. not good or bad, just different.
dont let life pass you by

The aim of the expert and the pro-fly is tension in the suit, this is the way it has been built, inflation is there to give a nice shape to the suit.

Loic use to do a lot of sailing when he was young, talk to him and he will give you his thoughts about sails, tension and speed.
Patrick de Guillebon

The guy that flew the Pro-fly for 5:45 gets major kudos.

Side subject, but thats one is a slightly twisted media quote..
Uli is a great flyer (one of the best Id say), but the 5:45 on that jump was the time it took him from exit (14k) till landing.

So a good portion of those 5:45 mins is canopy time..
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

inflation is there to give a nice shape to the suit.

On the suits Ive flown (all brands actually) the inflation (combined with wing design) is usually what determines how heavy the arm-strain is..
As the inflated wings use the air/inflation to support the wing, instead of raw muscle strength.

Less of an issue on smaller suits, but definately a factor on some of the bigger designs..

I think thats why we're seeing improvements on that aspect in almost every wingsuit on the market.
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

i normally fly a stealth and lately only been flying a XS. Unrelated but something I must highlight - that suits is DEFINABLY not for everyone - its a beast and if you are not able to relax and feel the air / suit fly when things get hectic in first 20 jumps you could get into deep trouble.
back to my point - i dont know if that suits is tri wing anymore. it has 3 diff sets of cells ie two arm wings and a leg wing but the attachments are so low and the arm wings (well below knees) that it acts and turns like a mono wing - ie shaping the arm wing also shapes the tail - when you learn to fly it the suit will steer left when you are thinking go right! anyway just thought compost.

~ time is ~ time was ~ times past ~

I have 10 jumps on a MTR1 (wingsuit jumps 11-20 after 10 jumps on a classic 1), I found it very easy to fly, easier than say a classic 1/2, but very floaty (easily got 42 MPH but not going very fast forward), a bit harder to turn as it flies so stable and harder to do acrobatics in (frontflips etc). All in all I liked how the suit flew, but it flew so different from the classics, GTIs etc we flocked with at the time that I didn't buy a suit like that, but I can see why people like the design.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

The aim of the expert and the pro-fly is tension in the suit, this is the way it has been built, inflation is there to give a nice shape to the suit.

Sure.

Unless a zillion ribs are added any wing that pressurizes well will deviate from the design airfoil shape in between the ribs.

In the attached picture, only one state(black airfoil shape) is shown. If the tension is released on the wing span, the airfoil will inflate and take a shape like the shape drawn in green.

Relaxing the tension will also allow the trailing edge to be lifted up by the air etc etc...but that is a different discussion.

mono-wing...tri-wing???????????????????
have i miss something here???? explain please,,,,,,,,

monowing> one outline of a human body, with the flyer inside
tri-wing>RW overal with 3 distinct wings stitched on.

This used to be a bit difference in the past, in most modern wingsuits this design aspect has blurred, and there is no real clear line between monowing/tri-wing design..

The first people flying the suit (monowing most noticably Loic) showed different flying styles as well, which became know and linked to the design a lot.

Which (IMO) is a shame, as the 'monowing' technique is how everyone should be flying...(regardless of suit brand/model/make)
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?