Costyn

2009 Elsinore event will be a 100-way... wait, what?

I've just read Taya's article, which is good, covering lots of aspects of the 2008 event, but then I came to the bit about the upcoming event, which she says will be a 100-way??

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/safety/detail_page.cgi?ID=706

Are the rules going to be adjusted to allow for it being even more difficult? Or is it no longer a record attempt?

In my humble opinion, this years event should be using less people, not more, to try to achieve the goal we set in 2008...

Maybe someone can enlighten me? And sorry if it sounds like I'm attacking the organization, I'm not, I'm genuinely puzzled by this news...

Cheers
Costyn van Dongen - http://www.flylikebrick.com/ - World Wide Wingsuit News

Ah, easy solution once you think of it: instead of 3 cubic meter slots use 6 or 9 cubic meter slots until noone is out of their predetermined slot anymore. Additionally, they are all record attempts and records, as long as you don't include the word "Official".
"The evil of the world is made possible by nothing but the sanction you give it. " -John Galt from Atlas Shrugged, 1957

Ah, easy solution once you think of it: instead of 3 cubic meter slots use 6 or 9 cubic meter slots until noone is out of their predetermined slot anymore. Additionally, they are all record attempts and records, as long as you don't include the word "Official".

know what I think, if it cant be contended, then its official......is this govening official gonna say it wasnt the largest wingsuit formation??
Life is a series of wonderful opportunities,
brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.

tonysuits.com

If 100 people want to go flock (assuming safely as in 08) then why not :)

Exactly! I've seen 40 way RW formations not display this level of separation before deploying:D and then you can't beat the very disciplined initial canopy approach , pattern entry and use of very separate landing areas. Its a very safe way to get into " bigway". If you suffer from proximity anxiety dissorder then this is the type of bigway you want to cut your teeth on.

And now is time to start you can do it. A handfull of people with very little WS experience at the start of the year really applied them selves and got on the last one. Those newcomers did a splendid job. Other newer comers can do the same, just apply yourself. Be there!

This goes for those "monsters" of BASE WS that don't have that much flocking opertunity too. Get to some flocking camps and you too can learn to fly properly spaced on a line with others without washing about like a UFO. It shouldn't be as intimidating as shear granite walls and a line over should it? Yeah with a little flocking training you guys can do it too! Woo hoo!
I'm serious as a heart attack.

Admit it Jimbo, you have, in the past, happily attended events that have not exhibited this level of discipline, planing and sophistication but more than the commensurate level of over promotion despite being really freakin dangerous. Events that displayed the discipline of an open Ice cream buffet at the special olympics.

This won't have really big Russian jets buts its cool enough to bring your wife and kid to it. If you won't do it for you, do it for K.

I didnt see James comment on the safety anywhere Glen?
Seem to only read something about working together to come up with some clear definitions on what would help us build towards an official certification of past en present record attempts.

As to the (awesome) 'icecreambuffet at the special olympics' comparison..Just speaking for myself, Seeing people you know very well getting seriously hurt due to people T-boning them in chaotic bigway jump plans tends to make you a bit more aprehensive about those kind of things. That caution seems to have been taken as some form of attack by others in the past...

I think last year showed that the organisers put a lot of work into the organisation safetywise, and showed that this kind of thing can be done without turning it into a big scary junkpile of bodies flying in all kinds of directions.

Seeing more and more of these big formation events is an awesome development. Especialy when it comes to raising the standard in terms of load organising and sefety in flying.

Dont loose yourself in pointing fingers and slapping people on the wrist because they had some different experiences than you in the past...
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Thats my point - I'm over flying big way flocks that never build and want to work towards better defined objectives.

Agreed, me too. I don't want to do 6 jumps a day for 5 days doing the same jump over and over again, knowing it won't build because we're flying with 100 people trying to do the same thing we couldn't achieve with 71 people.

Based on the video I saw of germany last year, it was incredibly unsafe. I saw one team where the cameraflyer was barely near the team most of the time, and low all of the time. The team had a few combat moments, lt definitely looked like mayhem.
Wasn't someone seriously harmed on landing?

Based on the video I saw of germany last year, it was incredibly unsafe. I saw one team where the cameraflyer was barely near the team most of the time, and low all of the time. The team had a few combat moments, lt definitely looked like mayhem.
Wasn't someone seriously harmed on landing?

Germany last year was split into groups as always. Beginners, intermediates, Scotts big way group, and a group Jarno organised.

Can you post up a link to the video and i'll let you know who was who. It may be perhaps that you saw a video of the beginners?
Phoenix Fly - High performance wingsuits for skydiving and BASE
Performance Designs - Simply brilliant canopies

I didnt see James comment on the safety anywhere Glen?
Seem to only read something about working together to come up with some clear definitions on what would help us build towards an official certification of past en present record attempts.

Jim didn't comment on safety as much as I was commenting on his lack of enthusiasm for this particular event, while in the past he was anywhere PF needed him Zoo or no zoo.

But now I read it as he will not paricipate in any flocking event whatsoever if it doesn't have a chance to represent something with a clearly defined goal and the possibility to achieve it. No more just for fun flocks. Is that it Jimbo?

But now I read it as he will not paricipate in any flocking event whatsoever if it doesn't have a chance to represent something with a clearly defined goal and the possibility to achieve it. No more just for fun flocks. Is that it Jimbo?

Yes, my new years resolution - enough flocking and more formations. (but I may enjoy a free sunset load once in a blue moon)
BASEstore.it

In my humble opinion, this years event should be using less people, not more, to try to achieve the goal we set in 2008...

The 49 way at Summerfest this year will be a smaller formation to which you may have already been invited. If you have not been invited and are interested, then maybe you should contact Jeff or Taya about this event. I think that the success at Summerfest will be a nice prelude to the success at Elsinore.

For those that don't know, Summerfest occurs at Skydive Chicago from July 24th - August 2nd. The 49 way attempts will take place from July 27th - 29th with six jumps per day.

Purple Mike

P.S. Fuck the grid! :)

Thats my point - I'm over flying big way flocks that never build and want to work towards better defined objectives.

Agreed, me too. I don't want to do 6 jumps a day for 5 days doing the same jump over and over again, knowing it won't build because we're flying with 100 people trying to do the same thing we couldn't achieve with 71 people.

thats funny the 71 way I was on everyone got in on numerus occasions :-)
Life is a series of wonderful opportunities,
brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.

tonysuits.com

thats funny the 71 way I was on everyone got in on numerus occasions :-)

Yes, everybody was there nearly every jump, but what I mean is we never achieved the goal we were going for, getting everyone in their 3x3m box.

i find it quite sad that this has become what it has...

instead of people working together finding the solution we have split into two definite groups.

i suppose its human nature, it happens anywhere something is held in high regard for a diverse group. we all want different things or want to use this / these events as something to promote ourselves in different ways.

good luck with the squabbling for the next 8m!

~ time is ~ time was ~ times past ~