P-dro

Wingsuit cost

Hello, I just placed my order for my Ghost 2 and I was wondering about the high cost of wingsuit compared to for exemple RW suits (two or three times depending on the RW suit).

Can someone shed some light ?

I think it is better to compare a wing suit to a canopy than a relative work suit ...

Edit: Are you starting with a Ghost II?
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

Not to mention the many hours, tests involved in the design of a wingsuit. Jumpsuit needs arms, legs, hole for neck, and a zipper or two.
A wingsuit needs as much (if not more) design work as a canopy. Inlets, airlocks, vents, cable attachment points, zippers....

Hello, I just placed my order for my Ghost 2 and I was wondering about the high cost of wingsuit compared to for exemple RW suits (two or three times depending on the RW suit).

Can someone shed some light ?

An RW suit has to fit. A wingsuit has to fly.

(Plus complexity, R&D, and all that other stuff)
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

The small market (compared to other diciplines) also plays a large factor in production cost...

That is true but honestly when you look at the work that needs to go into these suits, it is a wonder they are not more expensive, well other then I don't think the market would bear it very well.

For the OP, if you think about he arm and leg wings you will see similarities like ribs and cross ports to a canopy. I say like a canopy but it is a different shape and also not exactly the same "Ram Air" design in the canopy sense. Not the open nose design but instead in most suit designs currently out there, 2 sets of inlets allowing for a pressurized wing on your belly or back flying. That I would say adds complexity and cost alone, but add to that complexity by bundling it with a nice custom fit suit it is really going to add to the cost. It is not like stock sizes or direct saleability can happen really ease.. So many different body types compared to 7-10 stock canopy size patterns..

Do I wish the price was lower, absolutely but still I can see why it is a spendy item.. Congrats on the new purchase!

Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

Do I wish the price was lower, absolutely but still I can see why it is a spendy item.. Congrats on the new purchase!

Yeah, I wasn't doubting that the price is justified (otherwise I wouldn't have made the purchase) but I hadn't fully realised the complexity of a WS, the comparison with a canopy is very explicit.
I 'll try to shoot a picture in my office as soon as I receive it (traditions must be respected). But i'll leave the Campos to someone that sucks less than me with Photoshop....

I was really surprised how much work goes into building these things. I spent a week in December at the Nitro Rigging loft working with Nick on building my Volturius II prototype. It took 3 of us four solid days from sun up to sun down to finish it. The wingsuit manufacturers are definitely earning their money.