Oddern

Raptor for base?

If you are about to take a wingsuit off a cliff, I think you should have been able to figure out the answer by yourself on basis of your experiences about the suit on skydives, and your experience of base jumps without it. Just my 2 eurocents.
V

"Fear is the path to the Dark side"
(Master Yoda)

Yah but it never hurts to ask, especially if you are considering buying a suit for base jumping and havent had a chance to demo first. I know someone who jumped a SM1 for a few jumps and was fine, but that much wing makes me scared.

Thanks. Do you know if he had a base pouch?

Our Belgian friend Nico basejumped a raptor/mach1 (it was a slight custom suit, so not sure which one it was) but he did note the pull being scary.
I know he mailed back and forth with Tony regarding (re)location of the basepouch to a more suitable location. Maybe Tony has a few words on this subject?

Seeing some of the delays the pilotchute experiences (and sometimes difficulty actually accesing the pilotchute, due to too much fabric) on some of the bigger suits in the skydiving enviroment, its safe to say these big suits are far from the ideal choice for basejumping.

Nico is no longer jumping the tonysuit for that reason, and switched to a more recent release from a competitive manufacturer.

There is a lot of experience with regards to choice of wingsuits (wing sizes etc) for basejumping to be found on the basejumper.com forums. BASE specific questions are usually quicker answered there..
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Our Belgian friend Nico basejumped a raptor/mach1 (it was a slight custom suit, so not sure which one it was) but he did note the pull being scary.
I know he mailed back and forth with Tony regarding (re)location of the basepouch to a more suitable location. Maybe Tony has a few words on this subject?

Nico is no longer jumping the tonysuit for that reason, and switched to a more recent release from a competitive manufacturer.

Is this the Nico that posted video a while back? To my knowledge, he is the only guy to have posted BASE video of a Tony suit. I think that suit was called an Apache.

The tonysuits website does not list that suit as a product anymore.

Re: [KrisFlyZ] Raptor for base? [In reply to] Edit | Delete | Quote | Reply

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

my knowledge, he is the only guy to have posted BASE video of a Tony suit. I think that suit was called an Apache.

The tonysuits website does not list that suit as a product anymore.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

oh Ive never listed the Apache, Ive been working on it for these 2 years, I used it for the 71 ways in fact,
I'm not a wingsuit baser so I'm not the expert here [one day, I have 2 BASE jumps] but it seems to me that being able to reach up to your toggles immediately and to get out of the legs in 2 seconds would make it an attractive suit for base, the wing size is a different matter of course.
I have done some base pouch's, currently its a two pouch system with a bigger one over a smaller one, and it goes across the butt for an easier pull, slightly angling down.
Life is a series of wonderful opportunities,
brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.

tonysuits.com

oh Ive never listed the Apache, Ive been working on it for these 2 years, I used it for the 71 ways in fact,
I'm not a wingsuit baser so I'm not the expert here [one day, I have 2 BASE jumps] but it seems to me that being able to reach up to your toggles immediately and to get out of the legs in 2 seconds would make it an attractive suit for base, the wing size is a different matter of course.
I have done some base pouch's, currently its a two pouch system with a bigger one over a smaller one, and it goes across the butt for an easier pull, slightly angling down.

I confused the website with the Order form. Apache is on the order form.

May I request that pics of the same person wearing the different wingsuits or pics with suits placed one on top of the other in your line up be available on the website? That makes it easy for people to know roughly how the suit area is distributed.

oh and Im trying them [the base pouch's] made out of spandex....its what im used to skydiving, trouble is with it going across your butt like that when sitting in the plane your sitting on it, I'm not sure how the spandex will hold up to being sat on for reg skydiving....
Life is a series of wonderful opportunities,
brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.

tonysuits.com

Nico reads here but doesnt post. Mailed me this (asking to post it here)

In BASE I experienced 2 hardpulls with the basepouch on the Apache, which was a pretty scary experience if I say so.
1 x 4 sec canopyride and 1 x 2 sec canopy after deployment . Grrrrrrr .

I had the pouch moved up 5cm, and tested it from the airplane, but the problem now is that the pouch is a little too far behind the wing to grab for pulling.
So for me its no more basejumps with these suits. Only if the armwing is changed or made smaller at the base of the body, making it easier to pull.

I'm sure Tony will find a good solution for this problem

JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?