JohanW

Judging a WRW formation

I don't know about you, but the distance to the legwing of the person in front of me (hi Spot!) was about 12'.

Lateral distances were bigger, of course; diagonal distances were (a little) smaller.

Please, do the math. Draw square and diagonal grids, account for body lengths and widths, you'll see we did OK.
Johan.
I am. I think.

I was in the bloody left wing that had so much trouble. I think of it as #47.

Yes, when I say in front of me, I mean the front of my diamond, the one I was right behind.

When measuring distances, head 29-head 47 should be 2×10', or 6 meters. tail 29-head 47 should be ~4 m. head 37-head 47 should be ~4.25m. foot 37-head 47 ~3.2m. hand37-foot47 ~ 3.6m. All of these are approximations to body dimensions, head to hand 1m horizontally 1m vertically, head to foot 1m horizontally 2m vertically (this makes for a 2×2m double triangle as a wingsuit. it isn't, but it makes for easier calculations).

If I have to make a drawing, just ask, but I'll do it in the morning.

No, distances are greater laterally, but the diagonal distances seem greater because I'm counting from head to head instead of tail to head, toe to head or hand to head.

Am I making sense yet?
Johan.
I am. I think.

There is a lot of talk of judging with the grid, but not much about "flying" in it...
In the grid everyone is supposed to be in a 3 meter box, accounting for everyone being about 2 meters tall, give or take, that leaves about half a meter on both ends. Everyone in the formation should be flying about a meter apart, or approx. 3 feet. The spaces were much wider in the formation, more like 2 meters. I think there was confusion about how far apart we were supposed to be...

Well, during the event, I don't think there was much confusion? The spots on the field were where they should be. If everyone was flying on their spot in the sky too, we would have fit nicely into the grid.

Interesting side note: there was an article in Skydiving Magazine about the event, and it was written there that everyone had to be touching their box, not be in it. I don't know how this inaccuracy got into the article, as this way of judging suffers heavily from Yuri scatter and wasn't our goal during the event.

I'm curious to see what the rules are going to be for the next event.

Cheers
Costyn van Dongen - http://www.flylikebrick.com/ - World Wide Wingsuit News

I see a 100-way docked line... followed by a scary-roll of the whole thing ;)

I think you would need 1000 ft of altitude for that one (in terms of sheer height of the formation halfway into the transition)

And the person in the middle would have to get himself some new arms:P
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Grips?

With 100 people, this would quickly become hilarious... :D

Okay, I see. Mmmm, everybody has to fly above the same state :P

More serious, is there no worldrecord yet for the biggest wingsuitformation with grips?

I think this is one of the 'biggest' linked formations so far (tristan, jeff, patrick, myself, kristina)
And I recall there also being another succesfull 5 way line a week or so later. (edit> here)

So nothing serious in that segment of the dicipline yet...
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Grips?

I've seen at close quarters a RW funnel with 100 people in it, and it's scary. Add wingsuits and it would be deadly.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.