mrbiceps

How many jumps did u have when u did your first wingsuit jump?

Some where around 350-380 jumps. Did a lot of CRW jumps starting jumpnumber 100, BMI made me do some 20-30 freefly before my FFC. Did OK if I say so myself, awareness was good and performance too. For jumping with others however more FS/FS4 type jumps would've benefitted me greatly I'm sure.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Can someone please explain to me where i said that i would fly wingsuit before the recommended 200 jumps have been completed? And peggs82 are you some sort of mind reader?
I dont think i am some great skydiver dick head.

Counting down until he is banned ... :S

FYI. I had 1650+ skydives and wasa an AFFI, TI and IADI before I put on my first one. Best decision I made is to not rush into any discipline. I also had 350+ jumps before I filmed tandems.

steveOrino

It's possible to begin before the recommended minimum but it requires focused preparation or else your performance (and safety) will likely be meager.

PS: Even with focused preparation not everyone will be ready by the recommended minimum.
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

Mr...Biceps?
Watching your conduct in this forum has been painfully amusing, like watching someone repeatedly and viciously stabbing themselves in the forehead with a pencil. Its probably not going to be fatal but damn, its gotta sting a bit. You didn't mess around with any of that useless "respect" shit and went straight to insulting the first high ranking birds you spoke to, while simultaneously announcing via your posts that you are a person who has not bothered doing the slightest homework or research in here, or you'd have known the answer to your question before you asked it.
Bravo!
You're clearly going to go a LONG way in wingsuiting. Peggs already said pretty much everything I would have said... When you decided to mess with Matt you were making an ass of yourself in truly spectacular fashion. But you weren't thorough enough. To do this, right... I mean really do it right, you ought to make a list of the top 50 birds in the sport and make sure to insult em all...you've already got two down, keep going!
Cake, and grief counseling will be provided at the conclusion of the test...
-B
Oh... and I had 218 jumps when I started wingsuiting in '03. The reason I made out alright is I'd spent most of my runup time doing everything I could to train myself for it, from tracking and slowfalling in baggy freefly gear as "pseudo-wingsuiting" to reading everything I could find on the net about it ahead of time to make sure I knew everything I possibly could know so that when I DID speak up in public, I'd hopefully have chosen my questions carefully and be asking ones that mattered so the top gun birds of the time wouldn't take me for an idiot... not that I've ever seen anyone do THAT on the net before...
Live and learn... or die, and teach by example.

I had 128 or 138 jumps - doesn't really matter - before I wore the wings. and yes, it was too early. I have 200+ now (almost 50% is a wingsuit), and yes, it feels like it would be still too early. I still feel not too comfortable in the air, and I only hope that in 300 jumps I'll feel better.

I mean, if even such a coward as me (yes, if there was a competition 'who's the worst coward among skydivers' I could have won:)
but back to your questions. do I regret? I don't because wingsuit flying is my mania:P. because wingsuit flying seems to be the reason why I'm here. when I started jumping I didn't even hear about it (honestly, I wasn't going to become a skydiver - I just wanted to try once:)
but if the dream ever comes true, I'm afraid it won't happen soon. the reason is simple - progressing in a wingsuit is harder than progressing without it. and much more expensive. if I had 500 (or better 1000) jumps before I started, 200 additional wingsuits jumps maybe would be enough for me to start feeling comfortable and being able to take part in the legendary flocks. since I started being so inexperienced, it's gonna take me much more efforts and... coaching.

honestly, I think that 200 jumps are still not enough (judging from my own experience though:)
there are exclusions from every rule, and there are perfect fliers who started having 75 jumps. but in general it looks like this.

sorry for so many stupid words and happy Christmas to everybody!:)

I had a little over 200 when I did my first couple jumps on a classic2 ... 220-250 or so I think. Then a few jumps here and there on borrowed/demo suits. Finally bought my own wingsuit after I had over 1000 jumps.

There's a lot to do in skydiving and I haven't tried anything I didn't like (except tandems, but I didn't expect to like that very much)... I honestly don't understand the single-discipline skydivers. Try everything you can before ya choose what you like. Even classic accuracy is fun! And way more dangerous than wingsuits. XTREME!

Dave

I think the absolute 200 is a min that should be looked for. Yes it is just a number and that is not saying that you can or can't make a wingsuit jump and live, it is more for the background "Air" experience that you need to react correctly if/when things go wrong. With a wingsuit the variables are different and can happen way faster compared to a non-wingsuit skydive. Given that fact, with out a solid background to draw from when things happen you have a much higher chance of reacting incorrectly. The suggested minimum jump # is not so much for the 99% of the time that everything goes right, it is for the 1% of the time that it does not and you have to correctly react.

All that said these threads do get amusing and I don't care what Mad Crazy Skillz you have (not directly directed at MrBiceps as he already said he did not have crazy skillz in a post in this thread) the more you jump before adding the variables a wingsuit gives, the better and safer you potentially can be. All that said, I was about 2700 jumps before I did my fist WS jump..

Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

I had 128 or 138 jumps - doesn't really matter - before I wore the wings. and yes, it was too early. I have 200+ now (almost 50% is a wingsuit), and yes, it feels like it would be still too early. I still feel not too comfortable in the air, and I only hope that in 300 jumps I'll feel better.

Lena, if you still don't feel comfortable flying a wingsuit, and even you yourself are admitting you shouldn't be jumping one yet, why are you still doing it?

Why not take the wingsuit off for a couple hundred more jumps, have some fun in the air, then look at flying again when you're a bit more ready?
Phoenix Fly - High performance wingsuits for skydiving and BASE
Performance Designs - Simply brilliant canopies

I appreciate your care but don't worry - my flying is safe, just not as good as I'd like it to be:)
but if you want to invest to me 200 not wingsuit jumps I promise you not to spend the investment on jumping with the wings (only free jumps can make me put off my wingsuit:ph34r:).

We just can't resist, can we? Every month or so someone posts a note like this and we all jump on board. Hasn't this happened enough times to get boring yet? Once the first person refers the troller to the best (of many) threads, we've just got to let this go.

Fuck, Scott, there you go being the voice of reason and all. It's more fun to wig out at the n00b.

/I second teh Bland, in all his wisdom. Let's let this one die.
Skwrl Productions - Wingsuit Photography

Northeast Bird School - Chief Logistics Guy and Video Dork

i started right of aff. i had only like 60 or 70 jumps by then, but that's just because my instructors couldnt keep up with me while i was carving head-down around them. they said i was spinning out of control, can you believe that!? i call bullshit on that, they were just jealous! i also had to film my own aff because of that. you should have seen their faces when i turned up with my own set of camera-gear and the RED-setup on it..

they were also not happy when i turned up with my new rig, i mean velos over 90ft are for pussies, be serious. come on, a vx69 is just a parachute. it flares and lands like their student-velo's.. after i femured myself doing 720 approaches, taking manifest with me, they were a bit nicer. they said, ok, you proved us wrong, you got mad skills, please come and do tandems with us! but you know how tandem-students are, they're just whuffos with too much money, so they also complained.

i'm actually in the process of opening my own dropzone in burkina faso. they dont have their own organisation there and so i plan to introduce the world to wingsuit-aff. i'm still looking for staff and was hoping, you were in! there's no experience needed, if you jump out of a plane once and you survived, you're good to go and take students with you! hop on board.. ;)

“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

adn i was the one who (in this thread) first jumped in on the other side of the argument...

I did WS and WS base quite early but not as early as many since, however, I did not fall in love with WS flying and WS base until I had much more experience.

after my first handful of WS base flights i ended up leaving the suit in the closet and got fascinated with base tracking. it was not til i got my S FLy almost 2 years later and was a much more experienced jumper that I really started to enjoy and embrace wingsuit base jumping and WS in general.

I had the opportunity to fly in norway with Loic in 07 and constantly picked his brain. "how do i get good?" "what's the secret?" "I want to fly like you..." his reply was one that i will not forget. he said " think about skiing. you will never be the best skier if you do not have a solid racing background (soiid fundamentals of the sport). The best way to get good at flying is to fly your body,lots, get the basics down with lots of relative work jumps, wingsuiting is the same fundamentals as relative work."

that, more or less, is what loic told me (sorry Loic if i mis-quoted, but I know that is pretty close)

since I have become a more skilled skydiver/base jumper i have enjoyed and excelled at wingsuiting much much more.

186th skydive was my first wingsuit jump. You have 85 jumps now, it seems like forever until you will reach around 200, but it will come. And you'll be glad you waited. This is my 2cents from one newb to another. I now have over 200 wingsuit jumps, and I dont think I would have made it through certain circumstances and scenarios if it wasnt for my experience with these in non-winged jumping.

Take it slow. Learn alot...live to play another day.

~Jake
Step into my (sub)terminal Playground