MexPilot

Why do you like your M1 or SM1?

Just curious. Why do you like your M1 or SM1? I have seen so many people buying these suits. They look really cool. I want to know why you like yours? I might have to order one, if what I hear makes sense.

Thanx

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." Leonardo da Vinci

1. Because of the 7to1 glide ratio
2. Because Jeff, Justin, and Phil fly them
3. There is not one that is the same
4. Because I like to float and I am afraid of forward speed
5. Because I already have enough pairs of jeans
6. Bigger is always better - right?

Now Diablo get back in your twotter and quit trolling, lets be real you can't afford a SM1 and why didn't you ask about the XS7?

The pimp hand is powdered up ... say something stupid

Do note a lot of 'big' suits score really well in glide competitions due to having a tailwing for a longer period.

Having two rounds (one downwind/one upwind) will make these competitions a bit more transparant in terms of the glide-ratios actually flown..(though still heavily dependant on the wind during the jumps made)
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

I tried a bunch of different suits from Pheonix Fly and Tonysuits before I ended up ordering my Mach 1. Justin Shorb and the Flock U guys had demo suits that allowed me to play around and see what I liked and didn't like. I didn't have access to any Birdman suits at the time I was shopping, so my decision was really between the different models of Tonysuits and different models of Pheonix Fly.

What I like about my Mach1 is the suit's range - I can use it for flocking, for distance, and for aerobatics (for aerobatics and backflying, particularly if I close the inflation zipper in the leg wing). I didn't have the money or desire to get one for each activity.

What pleasantly surprised me wasn't just the suit - it's solidly made and flies nice, etc. - but the "aftermarket service" that the Tonysuit guys have provided. People make comments about the "multiple versions" of the suits, but I actually view that as a feature, not a bug (it means, to me, they are continually exploring what works better). When new improvements have popped out of their development process, I've been able to get them added to my suit. Since a lot of the improvements have been safety related, I'm pretty happy about that.

Anyway, that's my $0.02. And take it for what it's worth - I'm by all accounts a wingsuit n00b, but I also have no real bias (I'm not a rep). Try one and see if you like it.
Skwrl Productions - Wingsuit Photography

Northeast Bird School - Chief Logistics Guy and Video Dork

My comment on glide ratios at competitions wasnt related to Tony's comment about fwd speed in the Sm1 btw.

oww you lucked out there, I was just gonna mention how these "slow" suits got 1st, 2nd and 3rd in distance at the Marl meet last aug,

but i wont now :-)
Life is a series of wonderful opportunities,
brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.

tonysuits.com

I agree with your post, and that you can't beat the service.
My SM1 seems fast to me, especially since I can't even max it out yet. I'd say I'm going as fast as I could in any other suit so far, and I could max them. Just my guess - take it for what it's worth.
Anyway, like everybody says, it's the indian, not the arrow. Ask me again in one or two hundred jumps.
Here are some vids you can compare the SM1 with a Raptor:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIH8x9nor1k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpmiRmqV968

Taken at Elsinore and Eloy last month.
But what do I know?

Do note a lot of 'big' suits score really well in glide competitions due to having a tailwing for a longer period.

Your wrong dude!! :P

As an example if the competition is judged over 1000m and

Suit 1 : 35mph down @ 2 glide
Suit 2 : 45mph down @ 2.5 glide

Suit 1 will win in a still wind by 71m. A headwind of 5mph is needed for Suit 2 to win by just over 1m. What happens in downwind? Do you really need to ask?

See how wrong you are Jarno :D.

If you like geek speak.

The ratio of the downward speeds needs to be smaller than the ratio of the glides for the downwind factor to come into play.

Placing the glide that far (0.5) appart..maybe...

Still dont think competitions are the best comparison.
Seeing how there was sometimes a variation of half a mile between round 1 and round 2 in the results (wind?) with the pilots sure they flew exactly the same style as the first jump.

Its always a bit iffy pointing out what the exact winner is...suit..pilot..wind?
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Suit 1 will win in a still wind by 71m.

Err, what?

+1.

Why would the suit with the lesser GR win in no wind?
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Suit 1 will win in a still wind by 71m.

Err, what?

+1.

Why would the suit with the lesser GR win in no wind?

Suit 1 will lose the overall distance contest. Suit 2 may have a faster fall rate, but that just means it will get to its target distance quicker than Suit 1 due to its higher glide ratio.
The best things in life are dangerous.

Anyway, like everybody says, it's the indian, not the arrow.

Lol, I guess DSE and me can vouch for that. ;)

Seriously, compared to my Prodigy, my SM1 is more agile, faster and doesn't put so much strain on my arms that I have to ice my shoulders down after a 3 flight day.

-Blind
"If you end up in an alligator's jaws, naked, you probably did something to deserve it."

In the above example,

35 down @ 2 and
45 down @ 2.5 the slower falling suit will only win when the tailwind is 79 mph. Isn't that very interesting?

If we say the slow suit is falling at 30 mph(30% slower than the other suit) then the tailwind needs to be 45 mph before the race is even.

People who are joining the weight watchers program put their hands up. :D

the excel is so people can easily plug in numbers and see how wind effect a comp. If anyone cares that is:D.

And what does the equation compute to 35x45x0.5 divided by 10 or 78.75.

We should just bring a tape measure to our next meeting and settle this once and for all eh, Matt :P

Thanx for the info everyone. Honestly on the glide ratio stuff. Can you really compute it? Here I will tell you how, jump off a cliff a big one. Provide skilled pilots. Very calm winds. The mofo who goes the furthest has the best glide ratio. F*** the numbers. Not hang time straight up distance.

You think about the numbers too much and you forget to fly.

Ohh and pull low. That can help a little :)

Thanx again. I am still not sold.

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." Leonardo da Vinci

I think I'll have to report them.

They weren't accepted at the super collider so I believe we are all safe. They are only killing the bandwith here and any chances with a hot bird girl that may see their numerical musings. They are going to have to resort to sock stuffing for sure.