geofsmth

Wingsuit rodeo

I have done a couple winsuit rodeo jumps but have not had the chance to get video and stills. How have you gotten the shots. Should the photographer be under a wingsuit or a camera wing suit. just wasn't sure how much fallrate the rodeo has and how Dirty you would have to fly to stay with it. Any thoughts...

Depends ENTIRELY on the wingsuiter and his ability to fly a rodeo. I've flown camera on wingsuiters where I was just fine wearing wings, and flown camera on rodeos where the wingsuiter was tearing it up and the 'cowboy/cowgirl' was down low and I needed a wingsuit to keep up.

A guy like Burble Mike can really tear it up across the sky regardless of what's on his back. :D

Did you know we've created a new rating?
Rodeo Whore -001
Rodeo Whore -002
RW-003

All in honor of Purple Mike, king of the wingsuit rodeo.:D

It depends a lot on flying skill and stule and how the passenger is seated.

• If the wingsuit pilot flies it lazy, the trajectory will roughly match that of a (normal skydive) tracking. And flyers in RW/FF suits will be able to join.
  • If the pilot flies it well (and uses one of the bigger wingsuits) speeds will be a lot slower than normal freefall. And quite fast forward due to the high wingload. A wingsuit or one of the high-end trackingsuits is usually what you need for that getting that one in front of you lens.
  • If the passenger is seated to far up on the wingsuit flyer (not resting/sitting on the ass/lower portion of the rig, but all the way up on the neck/shoulders and the pilot keeps the legwing open completely) the flight can fly at such a steep angle, that it gets up to speeds of 160 to 180 mph downward.

I guess the best advice would be...just make one or two testjumps..see what speeds you set and who can follow or not.
    JC
    FlyLikeBrick
    I'm an Athlete?

I guess, to call it rodeo will only be the right description if someone loose a bootie . . .

Here´re two guys from the Wings over Marl - crew:
    Tobi & Philipp

Philipp loves to be on top! ;)

Blue skies,
    Christian without Jeff´s suit :|

don´t pester the jester . . or better: WHY SO SERIOUS ? ?

www.pralle-zeiten.de

This one was done from cloudbase. After exit we did a split-S (I had to go ask a pilot what the half barrel roll - half loop manoeuvre we did was actually called B|) but all's well that ends well and afterwards we did more crazy jumps. :PThat alti reads 5.

Ask me in about a year and a half what more I can post - there is something else that's worth the wait but hasn't been published yet.

Johan.
    I am. I think.

Ask me in about a year and a half what more I can post - there is something else that's worth the wait but hasn't been published yet.

Having seen the pic you're talking about, I think its one of the most awesome Rodeo pix ever...
    JC
    FlyLikeBrick
    I'm an Athlete?