ScottGray

Real Time Fall Rate Devices - Reviews

For those that have used Real Time Fall Rate devices (altimeters / GPS), would be interested in feedback and reviews.

What devices have you found that have worked the best?
WSI-5 / PFI-51 / EGI-112 / S-Fly
The Brothers Gray Wing Suit Academy
Contact us for first flight and basic flocking courses at your DZ or boogie.
www.thebrothersgray.com

The L&B Viso will display real time fall rate instead of altitude. I do not believe it will display both simultaneously. I imagine this could be addressed in the next firmware update. The Neptune could probably do this too if Alti2 wrote firmware to do so.
WSI-6 / PFI-55
The Brothers Gray Wingsuit Academy
http://www.myspace.com/cgwingsuitpilot
http://www.myspace.com/thebrothersgray

I guess I was not thinking about Real time visual units. The WinTec is a Black Box thing.. BUT the 201 is what I believe that Bob Folline (BobFolline user ID) up here in the Seattle area had mounted on his mud flap and he mentioned that he could almost use to to navigate. Fire off a PM to him for his thoughts...

Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

Just to compare readings of 3 devices used on the same jump. Completly different numbers in each one. Who is more reliable? B|
I think video is the best tool to get the real freefall time. And then use 1 device to get the distance fallen?, and get the avg speed with that? But then theres the variable about what exactly is the device recording as opening altitude. :S

VISO(wrist)- exit 5000'-opening 2400'-time 29s-fallrate 75mph avg

PROTRACK(inside helmet)- exit 5100'-opening 2500'-time 27s-fallrate 77mph max

WINTEC 201(inside helmet)- exit 5400'-opening 2300'-time 33s-fallrate 83max, 62mph avg

HISPA #93
DS #419.5

PROTRACK(inside helmet)- exit 5100'-opening 2500'-time 27s-fallrate 77mph max

WINTEC 201(inside helmet)- exit 5400'-opening 2300'-time 33s-fallrate 83max, 62mph avg

I have also noticed that my Viso often records the exit altitude as being a bit less than the real thing. If I float right after exit and hang out with the plane for a few seconds, I guess it simply doesn't detect those first few seconds because it thinks I'm still inside the plane, although I am slowly descending.
Quite a few times I knew exactly what the Viso was displaying for altitude when I got out (asked the pilot for extra altitude, so I was making sure I got it:P) and when reviewing the jump info on the ground, the exit altitude it recorded was a good few hundred feet lower. Kinda pisses me off b/c I wanna know how many seconds it missed :)

Back when I was in college, I had a research oproject that invovled testing the variation in alittude readings based off of altimeter mounting position.

Basically, you're hand mount is of minimal value for precise data collection as the movement of your hands during a jump will vary the altimeters position in the burble of your hand and thus vary the reading by a significant amount.

We knew there was an issue but we had a hell of a time figuring out why until one of my project mates noticed a cycle to the variations on one jump and we looked at the video and realized that the variations occured not only as I radically changed body position but also when I did something as simple as slightly moving my wrist to read my alti.

-Blind
"If you end up in an alligator's jaws, naked, you probably did something to deserve it."

I have a small GPS pocket stitched onto my wing (on the back, facing the sky).

*edit* attachment addedB|

Who would have guessed. The anti-GPS man himself :D.

Looks like it works. When jumping with one, do you feel its presence at all?

You know I would never jump with one like that as it would ruin my L/D by like

0.0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001%

:ph34r::D
Kris

I threw down a load of cash, and had my wingsuit severly modified.
Spent a few days at a rigger who did an awesome job taking my suit appart and adjusting a dozen tiny and big things.

The GPS pocket was just one of those things I figured Id throw in, should I ever decide to jump with one at one of those silly competitions:P
Get some better data on me diving headdown into the competition altitude and stuff..

As to your question..
You dont feel its presence..

JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?