Skwrl

Elsinore 71 - They Got It!

Correct - but didn't you have multiple views? There wasn't only one cameradude, right? With 3 different views we could construct a good 3-d image, and every additional view gives a more accurate analysis. The views don't have to be from any special direction, just so long as we know where they are from.

Now, we WOULD need an accurate time stamp in order to do it, but that wouldn't be hard to arrange.

How accurate a time stamp? Would 1 second be enough?

I just looked on my 350d and through the on-board control the time can only bet set to the minute. I don't know if it goes anymore granular than that. Looking in the EXIF data, it is recorded to the minute level as well. I don't know if the camera can be altered via computer interface or if better/later models record time to the second.

You need to know that the images were effectively simultaneous (in other words, no one has moved significantly between the images from different cameras). 1 second is likely plenty good enough.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Now, we WOULD need an accurate time stamp in order to do it, but that wouldn't be hard to arrange.

Before the event, yes... now, probably not so much.

That's what I was thinking of - this horse has left the stable already, but in future it shouldn't be hard to do.

On the very last jump on Wednesday, the then-largest slot specific wingsuit formation ever attempted WAS FLOWN WITH "73" FLYERS and the photogtographers departing 4 Otters flown by incredibly skillful pilots and into the unarguably "world record , largest-ever aerial get-well-card" for a guy and friend named Rick who like all the participants , really wanted and sacrified alot to be there, worked hard to qualify to be there, traveled the US and to Europe to perfect his skills so he could be there,.....but was then denied that opportunity by the random chaos of medical hassels. Every day, Rick was checking on the group and he was as emotionally attached last week to what was happening as anyone there was.

Rick was told what we were doing by phone as we loaded into the Otters and he text messaged to friends in two of the aircraft his thanks for what we were about to do as we climbed up to offer him our sunset flight energy and our best wishes that he would keep getting better and fly his wingsuit into the next big way .

As a somewhat slow, careful, and shoulder crippled ( read the last 5 as "less-skilled" ) flocking diver and coming from the third aircraft into the middle of a then "well formed" 72 person formation with smoke at both sides, I was mostly concerned with just getting to the formation, thinking a bit about Rick and also thinking (as I'm sure it is with each of us on every jump),..."to be safe and not hurt anyone else or myself" . As I leveled out from my dive above and well behind the formation,.....I saw the most beautiful, most awesome and most spectacular sight in the sky I have ever seen since I was lucky enough to see the northern lights over Greenland from the cockpit of a Gulfstream IV at FL470 fifteen years back.

Official? a Record? Frankly my friends, I don't give a damn! B|[:ph34r:;):P

To Stoney and everyone else on that jump, I can't tell you how humbled and honored I am to have been remembered in such spectacular fashion. Thank you from the depth of my soul! I did get a phone call as you all were climbing to altitude, and I almost cried... I wanted so badly to be there, had spent a year plus building the skills to be there, but as was mentioned, this minor detail of having to beat back some stupid cancer cells kinda got in the way.

I will see some of you folks in the air in Puerto Rico!!!! Hopefully I can shed my "winter weight" so I don't end up looking up at Scott Bland...

And again, congratulations on the 71-way, something that, in my book, was officially "Wicked Pissa" B|

And I WILL be there to "one up" this accomplishment, officially or otherwise! :S

Rick

PS - Just to correct one minor detail - I haven't made it to Europe yet, but hope to do so sometime soon.

Professor, are you really a smartypants?

My wife says my pants are all worn out and I need new ones, but I'm valiantly resisting a trip to the mall.

I really am a professor, though.;)

350D and 400D record the timestamp to the nearest second (don't know if that's an exif standard or what, just the two cameras i can check). Probably need to "synchronize swatches" all together at the beginning of an event like that.

Dave

Yes, you are right. I looked in the file itself rather than using a crappy viewer and could see the time information down to the second. But you still can't set that from the camera (at least not in the 350d or 400d but you can on the 450d http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/0300000933/EOSRXSi-EOS450D_EN.pdf p.20). I guess you have to use the EOS Utility to set the time to the second in cameras below the 450d? It doesn't give a huge amount of detail in the manual (p. 13)
Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live

Jeb just sent it to the media, and didnt spend a lot of time trying to scale and fit a grid over his pictures:P;)
Much quicker...:D

Joking aside..any airdates yet on the aforementioned ESPN and other Media items?

The footage Ive seen already through various people/sources looked awesome.
It would really be a shame if it only turned up (or didnt turn up at all) in small bits, long after the event has passed and lost its initial news-worthy-ness...

Quoting Cuba Gooding Jr. Show me the money*!!!

*by money I mean the picture and the video.

JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Joking aside..any airdates yet on the aforementioned ESPN and other Media items?

ESPN already showed their bit (the weekend of the event) Fox has shown footage during and one afternoon following the event, many news outlets requested footage, EXPN repeatedly showed a short 30 sec clip of three skydives as part of a daily loop piece in a news segment, BELO Group aired it over quite a few stations.
There have been several international requests and they were fulfilled using downloadable media. What of those requests ended up in actual airtime, I have no way of knowing.
Like someone else mentioned regarding the pix; if even 10 seconds was given to each of the pix, it'll take about 3 months straight to see them all. Maybe someone here would like to sponsor a person to go through and look at every image, and then take the roughly 5-10 minutes it takes to insert and resize to the grid?
Right back atcha....show me the money...:P

Like someone else mentioned regarding the pix; if even 10 seconds was given to each of the pix, it'll take about 3 months straight to see them all. Maybe someone here would like to sponsor a person to go through and look at every image, and then take the roughly 5-10 minutes it takes to insert and resize to the grid?

I'll save James the tarring-and-feathering and take the backlash myself...

THE EMPEROR HAS NO CLOTHES!
Brian Drake

ESPN already showed their bit (the weekend of the event) Fox has shown footage during and one afternoon following the event, many news outlets requested footage, EXPN repeatedly showed a short 30 sec clip of three skydives as part of a daily loop piece in a news segment, BELO Group aired it over quite a few stations.
There have been several international requests and they were fulfilled using downloadable media. What of those requests ended up in actual airtime, I have no way of knowing.

Any chance we will ever see any of these items pop up anywhere?
Never really seen a link or mention of airtimes..would have been great to see....
With the stuff we (as FLB) have done for TV, we also always made sure we got rights to show the show on our website (and got signed contracts on that, with the programs even sending us DVD versions of the show).

You guys had such a load of media deals..there must be some way of showing some of this stuff to the rest of world?

Like someone else mentioned regarding the pix; if even 10 seconds was given to each of the pix, it'll take about 3 months straight to see them all.

everybody knows which jump it was where it happened.
And everyone knows roughly at which time during the jump the actual formation was there close to perfect.
Even if EVERY cameraman on the jump would have taken 15 stills every single second during the time of completion, it would still only be about 20 to 40 stills for each individual camera flyer to go through. Now elliminate all the flyers not directly over the formation, and you have one or two ground shots and one or two topshots left to sort through?

Or am I being to simplistic here..

Over the past weeks, the number of photos mentioned have varied from 800 to 8.000. Are all those pictures on the event all taken in the 1 to 5 second window everyone seems to point at with regards to the formation being completed?

Though fun for magazines, I think there are probably 7.800 pictures that dont have to be taken into account when wading through the huge folder...just go straight to the meat..

Reasons being what they are..but at least be clear...first it was media bans (are they still there?) then it was fixing the grid (totaly un-important), and now its back to having too many pictures again...

All fine..but should I just keep reloading this thread in an affort to actually see the picture appear in public, or will it just be another 'the picture isnt there yet because....'

Maybe someone here would like to sponsor a person to go through and look at every image, and then take the roughly 5-10 minutes it takes to insert and resize to the grid?

Almost everyone has commented on how wonderfull the formation looked/flew and how incredible the general experience has been.

Isnt it possible to at least show the picture in public, and then start worrying about overlaying the grid on another 7.999 pictures or so?

You guys turn 'the grid' into a whole epic..while (truth be told) I dont think anybody cares about 'the gird' one bit..
Its the formation and the flying..worry about judging/rating it later...

Im rooting for you guys all the way...but just giving an estemate as to when anybody might actually get to see anything publicly would be a nice one..
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Having seen a lot of pictures and video from over a dozen people already, I just think the grid is the least of all reasons to wait with releasing this to the public.

Its an awesome formation...and Id sure love to see some pictures of the actial 'WE GOT IT!' formation made public without some silly grid pasted on top...

But I guess Ill have to check back here in a week/month/year or so, and ask again..?:P

JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

So that is a "no".

As you are still looking through all the photos.

But you had a photo on the day of the "record" that was used to judge the formation complete - but you still can't post that online because ......?

For the future big way attempts in 2009/10 - what size formation needs to be flown and what criteria need to be met to take the wingsuit discipline further?
BASEstore.it

For the future big way attempts in 2009/10 - what size formation needs to be flown and what criteria need to be met to take the wingsuit discipline further?

Maybe actually showing proof of your accomplishment instead of a bullshit post saying you did it

At least Stoney posted video of him landing a wingsuit at flock n dock in a timely manner

Kind of strange that no one from the event has asked to buy or see a picture - almost as if we are being fucked with about the 'picture' actually being real

The pimp hand is powdered up ... say something stupid

Kind of strange that no one from the event has asked to buy or see a picture - almost as if we are being fucked with about the 'picture' actually being real

That might be because it was in the debrief document that was provided to us. And since it's the photogs' copyrights, people don't want to be jerks (or, you know, infringers) by posting other people's stuff, since that would mess with their ability to make a well-earned buck off of it.
Skwrl Productions - Wingsuit Photography

Northeast Bird School - Chief Logistics Guy and Video Dork

So that is a "no".

As you are still looking through all the photos.

I'm not looking through anything. Not my job. I have a life, business to run.... I turned over half a TB of photos and video from three videographers and 7 photographers, Matt kept his photos to himself.
I didn't judge the formation. Before nor after the event. Apparently that's your job.
I served as scribe.

Wouldn't that be a question for you to answer? I was under the impression that you're the wingsuiting FAI guy.

An 18 way held slot perfect in designated, pre determined slots not further than one body width / length apart, for a minimum of 30 seconds with video evidence to prove duration. ;)
Phoenix Fly - High performance wingsuits for skydiving and BASE
Performance Designs - Simply brilliant canopies