mysty429

Wingsuit Flocking ==> Balloon Suit Flocking?

If belly flying has 0 horizontal component and wingsuit base has a possible 3:1 horizontal component, where are all these big way flocking jumps at?

In other words, I see more and more massive suits coming out that give a wonderful control range for limited horizontal speeds, but to me, add nothing more than increased danger to a pilot that possibly couldn't fly the previous suit to full range.

Should flocking records have a vector attached? Is a 10 way flock at 3:1 (horizontal:vertical) more worthy than a 100 way flock at 1:3?

Not taking sides, just asking the question. ;)
-Taylor
"Can't plan fantastic!!!!!"

I know what you're thinking. ;):P

For big flocks, neither too fast nor too slow is ideal as you lose range. I've been in flocks where they were moving so slowly that I was either sinking out or on a level zooming into the sunset.

Some of the newer big suits are actually more stable than their "lower performance" predecessors, although I agree that there are many "vanity" wingsuit flyers out there...

--
BASE #1182
Muff #3573
PFI #52; UK WSI #13

Taylor quit yer gripping. When we are done with CRW its you and me in our vampires, its on brother.

The current large group pace is what it is to get participants with a broad spectrum of body sizes, aircraft exit techniqes and flight skills all to play together. It actually ends up being adjusted as the days jumps progress...as needed.

On the flip side you would be shocked to learn the variances of similar sized guys in similar sized vampires. The pilot skill is still the biggest variable by far. Get yourself to a ten way or better all Vampire/Skyflyer flock and see. It might leave you wishing for a medium paced skillful group.

BTW my WS main is also set up for REC CReW so after a flock you can get in a dock and satisfy both masters.

Some great points. being that the sport is so new, progression would probably lead from big flock and slow ==> big flock and fast. Haven't flown the big suits, but seeing some flyers brand new to wingsuiting on them scares me a bit. Good times... and Good Luck to all you flyers on the record. See ya at elsinore!!
-Taylor
"Can't plan fantastic!!!!!"

There are a few reasons why some speeds of flocks are what they are, just talk with any good organizer. Listen to what glen said about the experience jumpers flocking too.
I'm for frustrated at what we call 'stacks' at times. Way too much space. Now if you've seen pics or vid of me over jeff or bland, that's the stacking distance we should be striving strive for. Solid, consistent speeds, as well as knowledge of the burbles of the suit below you are really needed to pull it off. People don't practice enough right now to pull it off effectively.. nor do flocks (or the air) always allow for it.

and besides, it's much more fun to do rodeo ws jumps along with trackers:D

Where is my fizzy-lifting drink?

Haven't flown the big suits, but seeing some flyers brand new to wingsuiting on them scares me a bit.!

Regardless of suit size. Some people are not being taught or understanding some fundamentals unique to wingsuits. The naturals get it, some of us had to trial and error ourselves through success and failure over hundreds of wingsuit jumps and some just get a bigger suit to compensate... after all nothing else works. But if you don't understand the fundamentals the big suit is a loss also.

In larger groups we must get out of the plane timely. You can't stop and turn around to face the relative in the door, get out, expect burble and fly accordingly.

You must acquire the base and create, for lack of better word, a firing solution to where it will be when you get there not where it is now. Flying to where it is now takes you on a descending carve to below and forever behind..... this is the big failing visual that leads flockers to get more wings so that they don't get below and the assumption that the extra wings will give them the speed to catch the base. Getting bigger wings is just a band-aid to not understanding what is going on in the flight. You can't let this frustrate you. In time more people will get it.

You must acquire the base and create, for lack of better word, a firing solution to where it will be when you get there not where it is now.

In football, we called those intercept angles. Fighter pilots refer to it as "deflection".

-Blind
"If you end up in an alligator's jaws, naked, you probably did something to deserve it."

Yes exactly but you are the football, or the sparrow 3.

In no other skydiving disciplines can the variance from first seeing the base to getting to the base be so dramatic. CReW is one but the speeds, distances and levels can vary much more in wingsuits.....

And all of this assumes the base is doing it's job of being were it should be with predictable trajectory. Assuming the organizer is laying out a jump that is manageable for the size of flock and not creating built in impossible intercept angles were the late divers are watching a formation disappear over the horizon.

As much as we like to pick on a slushy base for not really flying these guys are doing a fabulous job for the current conditions and skills of the average current day flocker. I'm positive the flocks will get faster and allow a base to fly flatter as late divers develope the skills to get there sooner in a disciplined manner.

Some of the newer big suits are actually more stable than their "lower performance" predecessors, ...

You must have flown a Skyflier 1.B|

That suit has a worst reputation than the actual performance.

When you try to max it out, or fly it wrong (massive de-arch) its a bit wobbly. But some people put a stamp of 'deathtrap' on the suit, while there are quite a few people flying them now (because the 'bad suits' where on sale for cheap) and kick some serious ass..

I want a "my other suit is a Skyflyer1" patch!
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

I learnt to backfly on an S1 (for which its perfect, due to the smaller legwing). Love that suit to death...the thing wobbles when you max it out..big deal..

Anyone complaining about spins and near death experiences just needs to learn to fly and stop scaring others with made up stories or their own lack of experience when they put the (back then) INSANELY big wings on:P;)

JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Anyone complaining about spins and near death experiences just needs to learn to fly and stop scaring others with made up stories or their own lack of experience when they put the (back then) INSANELY big wings on:P;)

You know it was primarily the wingsuit instructors of the day that were doing this. (1) so that you sought and payed for instruction through them as they will make things better and (2) so that you didn't go out and buy the same vanity purchase big boy suit as they out of the box and proceed to kick their ass in the sky.

BTW I couldn't agree with you more on this topic. I've seen flailing, I've seen head down out of control carving, I've seen bad body posture and poor flight demonstration but have never seen in person or on screen the deadly unrecoverable "flat spin". Stuff of legend.

shit..I didnt post this stuff thinking someone would actually agree...

Could we quickly find something else to talk and bitch about, to keep the spirit of the dz.com wingsuit forum alive?

Did you hear about those two record/biggest formation ever events in November. Word is that one of those two is gonna suck...:P
Also heard that Birdman is now offering Jeans next to Parapak and Balloon ZP as a choice of material on the Blade.
I can fly 21 MPH sustained..just not in competitions when there is actual equipment there to register the data and times:P

I love swimming in peepee..everyone is welcome in my pool..the water is warm!

JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

If you can't handle the heat stay in speakers corner.

I don't make this shit up its in the archives circa 03,04, 05. If it is embarrassing to the original death spin posters it should be, own it homos. If you are now embarrased on behalf of others about the death spin- spin yer a poofter. Don't be so sensitive.

The big ways/ largest flocks ever/ Recordos del mundo can't suck because they involve wingsuits and lots of flockers. Be there doing your best or wish them luck but stop shitting on the concept for what ever reason.

Lastly no body cares what you do with your peepee Mccordia unless you are dating a golden shower mermaid and then its just her/him. And you are now diverting this tread way off topic, so say you are sorry and promiss not to talk about peee and you.

Haha...'not hitting on the concept'..actually wishing I could be there for the bigway stuff. Though its fun to poke at the politics some people try to involve in that one, Im 100% with the concept and (though Im not going to make it there) offered to help out with 3d animations on the build/seperation for briefing (if needed).

As to the actual name of the record, Im 100% sure it will be the biggest formation ever flown, but also get the point some raised, on how you can call a record 'official' if there is no 'official' rating involved (even though It doesnt matter if anyone in the biggest flock actually cares about that stuff).
But that wont change a single thing on how it will feel for anyone IN that actual formation, and how awesome pics will look on that thing.

Fun talk on that subject aside...having seen Jeffs diveplan, Im 100% sure its something that can be put together with the right people. And the list of flyers so far seems to be more than that. And its mostly going to come down to seeing how well people in the Nth row of the formation are capable of dealing with the breathing in the formation. No matter if it will be a 35, 50 of 71 way. Its definately going to be the event of the year.

And death spins...yea..I believe there is a 'simple flatspin' you can recover from. And the videos Ive seen of people being in an 'out of controll' one, all involved people with legs extended/wide open, and being way to busy cutting away armwings without reason (you're actually taking away the big control surfaces and turning yourself into an even bigger/better propellor) instead of just balling up to get out of it.

Spins of death are a myth, and the SkyFlyer1 rocks the hizzle:P

The Peepee, was a reference to UncleCharlies brilliant quote about wingsuit wars...but Ill leave the pee stories for my book "Pee and me"

JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

, but also get the point some raised, on how you can call a record 'official' if there is no 'official' rating involved (even though It doesnt matter if anyone in the biggest flock actually cares about that stuff).

Well get the counterpoint that not a single skydiving regulating governing body on the planet encompasses wingsuit instructor within their training program and only a few make references to such even existing yet that doesn't stop people from officially calling themselves one and spending valuable jump money to become one when the rating does not officially exist. comprendee?

Well get the counterpoint that not a single skydiving regulating governing body on the planet encompasses wingsuit instructor within their training program and only a few make references to such even existing yet that doesn't stop people from officially calling themselves one and spending valuable jump money to become one when the rating does not officially exist. comprendee?

I think that one depends on why someone follows a trainingprogram in the first place.

To become capable at instruction, and get some tips and pointers on how to teach people properly...
Or to get a (albeit meaningless) rating/number they can put it in their dz.com sigline along with all other numbers and credits...

If someone asks me if Im an instructor..sure..I teach people to survive a wingsuit jump, and use my own guidelines (based on guidelines set by people who quite often dont follow those same guidelines anymore).
If they ask me if Im official in any way..no..

BMI/PFI/N.E.R.D./PeePee numbers dont really mean anything to me.
I followed an instruction program from one of the many manufacturers to learn/improve the way I teach, but that about it..
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

My point being is that the big record ways are as legit and "official" as any factory supported wingsuit instructor program, some of which have been in existence for over 5 years now.

Yes the FAI does not recognize WS until we develop something at the national level. And at the national level competition and training wise instructors and competitors don't exist.....until we change that.

But I feel sorry if you are a BMCI and saying big records don't exist because they are not recognized....kinda hyppocratic no?

can we just rename this thread to the jarno and glen are getting no where new thread?:P

If someone asks me if Im an instructor..sure..
If they ask me if Im official in any way..no..

Right there is no 'official' means anyways.That's why I keep my 'I-rated' patch on the suit I mainly jump. I find it funny and hey, it came with the suit:ph34r:

Where is my fizzy-lifting drink?