muero

Wings over Gransee

Hello everybody,

I want to announce that we have a wingsuite competition at skydivecenter Gransee in Germany at the 27th and 28th of September.

We have a pricemoney from 1000.- Euro for the winner and some other goodies.

The competition rules are attached in German and English and our this years flyer...

We are organizing flockdives and we can offer free test jumps on all phoenix-fly wingsuits. Since this year we are official Democenter for Phoenix-fly and we have the complete fleet twice!

Robert Pecnik is as well joining the event and like to play with all wingsuitpilotes over the beautyfull fields of Gransee.

We would be happy if lots of you are joining our event and make it to an every year happen big skyparty.

Some of the Wings over Marl pilots are already on the list....so it is on you!

please feel free to contact us...

[[email protected]]

[www.gojump.de]
[www.phoenix-fly.com]
[www.skyfx.de]

blues, BBC.mirko

Hi everybody...

just our last update:

we god lots of stuff for our competition...

1. ... 1000.- Euros
2. ... 50% discount for a wingsuit from Phoenix-Fly
3. ... 50% discount for a X-shut system
4. to 6. ... Paralog lizences

and other goodies... :)

timeshedule for the event:

friday are possibilitys to fly your minds free and get in touch with the views over the DZ

Saturday 8am event- & safetybreefing
Saturday 9am evenstart, first load
sunsetload stops the event opens the doors for the eventparty

Sunday 9am eventstart and first load
jumping all day till we find the winner of the competition

Both days we offer flockdives, bigways and WRW organized by Robert Pecnik and our homies...

Cya in Gransee.....blues, Mirko

[email protected]

www.gojump.de
www.skyfx.de

www.phoenix-fly.com
www.x-shut.com
www.paralog.net

ok short corrections.....

just our last update:

we god lots of stuff for our competition...

1. ... 1000.- Euros
2. ... 50% discount for a wingsuit from Phoenix-Fly
3. ... 50% discount for a X-shut system
4. ... Paralog lizence

and other goodies... :)

timeshedule for the event:

friday are possibilitys to fly your minds free and get in touch with the views over the DZ

Saturday 8am event- & safetybreefing
Saturday 9am evenstart, first load
sunsetload stops the event opens the doors for the eventparty

Sunday 9am eventstart and first load
jumping all day till we find the winner of the competition

Both days we offer flockdives, bigways and WRW organized by Robert Pecnik and our homies...

Cya in Gransee.....blues, Mirko

[email protected]

www.gojump.de
www.skyfx.de

www.phoenix-fly.com
www.x-shut.com
www.paralog.net

Thanks Mirko for a great wingsuit event!!!

Congrats goes to "Euro Jeff" (Tobi), definitely the undisputed champion. Here are some of the times and distances:
http://wingsuitcompetition.com/ppc/showdistancecomp.php

I suppose Mirko will post the actual event results and some pictures soon.

Cyall next event,
Tristan
Will you answer "NO" to my next question?

Side note on the www.wingsuitcompetition.com/ppc/ website.
Though used for this event, its not in 100% working order yet for off-competition use, but will be online final (with an official release note by its creators Costyn from FLB and Claus from Paralog here on dz.com and probably also for the different magazines)

Costyn and Klaus are working their asses off to make this website available for everyone for free, through the (new/soon te be released) demo version of Paralog (which you'll use for uploading your GPS tracks).

The competition will have three different ways of judging (depending on what you like) for time, distance or highest (ground/forward)speed, and doesnt use time, but rather a set competition window of 3km/2km for judging.

Though still subject to wind, it should be a more honest comparison/friendly competition (or just monitoring your own performance) than the time(and money:P) based method trackingderby uses.

In time, features might be added which will allow people to compare suits for performance on time/speed/distance (to please the numbers junkies who like comparing suits instead of their pilots) so everyone should be smiling. And the time results will most likely also get fallrates listed.
For the time competition, submission through recording altimeter devices such as Neptune, protrack and Altitrack might be made possible as well in the near or further future..

But for now, getting the basic framework up and running is the #1 priority, as Gransee launched the site into active duty a few weeks ahead of time.

A big up for Klaus, who supports the FLB 'free for all' mentality.
And seeing the man does this stuff for free, do concider picking up a copy of paralog officialy if you like the initiative. Its hardly costs a penny, but greatly helps Klaus put more R&D into this stuff, as opposed to his day-job which pays the rent.

Keep an eye on flylikebrick.com and/or dz.com for news on the sites official release to the public.

This message was brought to you by FlyLikeBrick low budget wingsuit flyers!;)

JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Small update from Klaus,

Neptune/ProTrack uploads are now also supported, and only some admin acces things need to be changed before the (for ppc fully functional demo)version of paralog comes online...

So even technilogically impaired people who only have a silly logging device can partricipate.

If there are any companies/manufacturers that are interested in sponsoring this competion, and offering a prize for the top score in the time competition (which is the only one not influenced by outside factors such as wind), which will run for a certain amount of time, and then be reset for the next competition, feel free to contact us at [email protected] with your offer.
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Congrats goes to "Euro Jeff" (Tobi), definitely the undisputed champion. Here are some of the times and distances:
http://wingsuitcompetition.com/ppc/showdistancecomp.php

Yeah congrats to Toby, amazing performance. :)
Here is the event scoreboard by the way, which shows the information per round etc. The link Tristan posted is the alltime distance scoreboard (which will span mulitple events and also individual scores outside of events).

http://wingsuitcompetition.com/ppc/showevent.php?event=Wings%20over%20Gransee%202008
Costyn van Dongen - http://www.flylikebrick.com/ - World Wide Wingsuit News

Ok, here are the results from the event. Just for an overview:

Diszipline Distance in meters:

Klaus R.
1683m
2202m

Natalie L.
1892m
2783m

Lutz L.
2178m
2577m

Robert P.
2092m
2774m

Jürgen B.
2298m
2865m

Tobi S.
2436m
3161m

Tristan W.
2015m
2939m

Helmut
1932m
2531m

Harry K.
2256m
2997m

Ole Bole
1584m
-

Florin (RW-suit)
975m
844m

Dizipline time in seconds:

Klaus R.
45,7s
43,5s

Natalie L.
51,9s
52,1s

Lutz L.
47,7s
56,9s

Robert P.
55,2s
59,7s

Jürgen B.
51,4s
45,2s

Tobi S.
71,7s
73,2s

Tristan W.
61,2s
61,9s

Helmut
36s
48,5s

Harry K.
53,5s
51,3s

Ole Bole
37,2s
44,5s

Florin (RW-suit)
19,3s
12,6s

Diszipline speed in km/h:

Klaus R.

Natalie L.

Lutz L.

Robert P.

Jürgen B.

Tobi S.

Tristan W.

Helmut
-
Harry K.

Ole Bole
-

Florin (RW-suit)

some jumpers decide not to complete the the whole competition, these people are not listet.

The first 5 are:

1. Tobi Scherrinsky with a Mach 1 - suit
2. Harry Kloska with a Vampire 1 - suit
3. Robert Pecnik with a Vampire X - suit
4. Tristan Whitmarsh with a XS - suit
5. Jürgen Brath with a Vampire 2 - suit

In the end I must say a big thanx to the sponsors of the prizes: GoJump, Phoenix-Fly, X-Shut and Paralog!

And I must gave some special thanx to Costyn and Klaus, wich finished programming of the webtool www.wingsuitcompetition.com/ppc , close in front of the event and spent in that way theire help that every things works that well!

We tried our best to keep the competitionrules FAI-confirm to establish this kind of competition in an international way.
Over the complete event we have not only one rejump in cause of non working technic or GPS-blackouts!

I hope that everyone had a great event and will join next years competition again. If there are any ideas to do something better, youre welcome to mail me!

I have attached some shots from the event.

thanx for joining us...

blues, Mirko...

[email][email protected]

thanx for joining us...

My pleasure. Thanks for making this possible!

Bonus points for the smooth organization and the good vibes...

Klaus

PS: But next year, we should not have the safety briefing in the morning in front of the hangar. :P
My Logbook

:( I think, i have miss something.

Interesting that harry in this "old" V1 was so much better then the new V3. (I know the flyer makes the suit go, but this V3 flyer is the manufacturer)

One question: Xs? Does that mean the extended V2 or SM1?

If i remember correctly is was the SM1.....

Edith: also very impressed from natalie in her phantom2!

These competitions are great fun, but keep in mind a lot of the results these days depend on weight, height, skill, winds (everyone had +- 400 meters more on their 2nd round, practice or wind?) if you took a dump or had a big breakfast etc etc.

Putting labels on which suit flies better or worse based on these results is quite impossible. Give the flyers the credit, and immidiately burn people or certain models because they perform less in one competition.

In Marl, a lot of people (Jeff, Justin, me etc) dove into the competition altitude, scoring quite horribly.

Everyone has his 'on days' and 'off days'. And even on good days, its still possible to f*ck up and score low.

The TonySuit XS (SM1 follow up) is outperforming all previous models from their own fleet from what I get, yet all of the flyers flew the suit for the first time in marl, and didnt have time to get used to their suit. Had Marl been held now instead of 4 months ago, they probably would have scored a lot higher as well.

I believe in this case, Tristan had an arm zipper come loose in freefall on one jump, and also scored low for that jump. Meaning he could probably have ended a lot higher in the score than his current 4th place.

And regarding bad performance..maybe its also stress..

I mean...you and I can fuck up any competition..it wouldnt influence sales...as we are not selling anything.

Yet Tony, Robi, Loic...those guys also put their own company on display with their scores..the pressure is always on to score good..dont kill em if they have a day where they score less;)

JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

I believe in this case, Tristan had an arm zipper come loose in freefall on one jump, and also scored low for that jump. Meaning he could probably have ended a lot higher in the score than his current 4th place.

Nah, it was the jump for speed and spiraling down in a frenzy of flapping fabric and girly screams I actually scored a better speed than when I was trying to fly for speed:)
I find it interesting that every competition I have been to so far used a different scoring method. I wonder if we can end up with one that everyone agrees with is the best.
Tristan

I find it interesting that every competition I have been to so far used a different scoring method.

The scoring system used on this competition is quite the same as every other distance, speed or time competition so far.

The only difference is that VISUALY Costyn and Klaus choose to represent the scores with a system where the best score is 100% and each lower score gets a percentage of that one.

But in terms of absolute numbers, its (like every other competition besides trackinderby) a race with a set competition altitude.

The only addition I could see is that of a minumal glide ratio of 1.xxx for the speed round (so people dont just fly headdown with all wings closed)
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

The only addition I could see is that of a minumal glide ratio of 1.xxx for the speed round (so people dont just fly headdown with all wings closed)

No, we had that in Italy, It doesn´t really work. Then the competition would be how accurate you can fly a certain glide ratio.

But there are more differences, like using the average between two or three jumps, the altitude window, incorporating the height and weight type of suit etc in the scoring... and I can think of much more variations. It would be nice if there is one system so you can also compare between different competitions.
Tristan

No, we had that in Italy, It doesn´t really work. Then the competition would be how accurate you can fly a certain glide ratio.

Ive done over 200 mph dives in a wingsuit..surely that cant be the way to win the speed round?

But there are more differences, like using the average between two or three jumps, the altitude window

Some comps choose to 'loose' the worst score, others use different altitudes. But thats a thing thats up to every organiser to choose.

Every competition that chooses to use the (Free!) PPC website for their competition will use the same basic rules though. So lets hope these (the 3km >2 km altitude window) become standard. Or somebody else comes up with a working standard.

incorporating the height and weight type of suit etc in the scoring...and I can think of much more variations.

With the 100+ different models, build etc. this is quite impossible to incorperate unless you want somebody with a scale and rules measuring every person for a few days before the competition starts. Do try and keep things realistic;)

It would be nice if there is one system so you can also compare between different competitions.

Thats what the PPC competition will enable you to do.
Every competition has its own 'event score', but the scores also go into the general database for the individual competition.

For the near or far future, this means you can also do suit comparisons etc.
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Ive done over 200 mph dives in a wingsuit..surely that cant be the way to win the speed round?

No because then I would use one of your gimp suits and easily beat you. In Gransee the groundspeed was used. But this would still mean you would have to dive like crazy.

With the 100+ different models, build etc. this is quite impossible to incorperate unless you want somebody with a scale and rules measuring every person for a few days before the competition starts. Do try and keep things realistic

In Russia there were weight categories. I would personally like to see wingloading used in competitions. I will tell you how that can be done easily:
Lay down the suit on the "green" ground in the hangar and make a picture. In the same picture add a standard A4 paper. Then segment the suit and A4 paper from the image and count the pixels (this can be done automatically). divide the suit pixels by the A4 pixels and multiply with the A4 size. Then you have the wing surface and you can calculate the wingload. Then however there is the question of how to incorporate this into the scoring. But getting the wingload is a 5min thing.
Tristan

No because then I would use one of your gimp suits and easily beat you.

Hey..at least my armzippers stay closed;)

In Russia there were weight categories. I would personally like to see wingloading used in competitions. I will tell you how that can be done easily

By starting the tristan school of wingsuit flying, and organising your own competitions....but I guess thats like comments on every single suit you fly..yet Im still waiting for you (and Yuris) own design..the comments always stop when there is active effort involved or required

Its fun writing 10 page theories, but the transition to reality isnt always doable..
Your 5 minute measuring and weighing will mean you will spend the first 2 to 3 hours at a big boogie measuring people, only to end up with an extra variable in the judging that nobody actually gives a flying F about B|

JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

By starting the tristan school of wingsuit flying, and organising your own competitions....but I guess thats like comments on every single suit you fly..yet Im still waiting for you (and Yuris) own design..the comments always stop when there is active effort involved or required

No, I send all wingsuit candidates to the "fly like brick do what I say not what I do school of wingsuit flying". And whatever happend to that gay fashion designer that was going to make your wingsuit design?

Its fun writing 10 page theories, but the transition to reality isnt always doable..
Your 5 minute measuring and weighing will mean you will spend the first 2 to 3 hours at a big boogie measuring people, only to end up with an extra variable in the judging that nobody actually gives a flying F about

True, but you risk wingsuit competitions dying a slow death because none can compete against the tall skinny guys. And please restrain yourself from using the F letter just to give your monologue more of an impact. It's quite rude you know.
Tristan

No, I send all wingsuit candidates to the "fly like brick do what I say not what I do school of wingsuit flying". And whatever happend to that gay fashion designer that was going to make your wingsuit design?

Thats the beauty of it all...We try all the stupid shit so other dont have to repeat it again...;)
And as to own wingsuit design..the suit we're flying know has been made to our specs, and I just got that one back from the rigger this morning, after about 200 euros worth of modifications? Found a non-gay one though (even though it would have been more fitting to have a gay one do it).

And talking with that same rigger about actually making a 100% own design instead of modifying a suit thats already out there.
Not that I believe I have the magical upscaling solution that will outfly everything out there. But just because its fun, and I like actually doing stuff instead of just bitching about it online:P

True, but you risk wingsuit competitions dying a slow death because none can compete against the tall skinny guys. And please restrain yourself from using the F letter just to give your monologue more of an impact. It's quite rude you know.

But I like the letter F!

And risk dying a slow death?
I dont think thats ever going to happen...if anything, it might cause more bitching online by people like you...but die..neeehhh...but when it does..Ill be sure to come to the competitions you are organising;)
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Interesting that harry in this "old" V1 was so much better then the new V3. (I know the flyer makes the suit go, but this V3 flyer is the manufacturer)

Ok buddy, before you shoot against someone you should be there or know better all details!

Infront of the competition people ask if Robi will join the competition, cause than they have no chance to win and they will not come!
So he decide to join the competition just for fun and in that case he not uses the suit what would be perfect for this competition! He put his extra large Stealth away(the one, what Lutz flies in Marl to the win) and he takes one of his prototypes out of his box, wich is by far not made for this. One suit he not really skydived before! Only to join the party and get answers wich he has not asked before from this suit! And he has almost only some skydives this year!

He never jumped with this GPS-stuff before, and he has never trained to use the 1000m after exit for diving. So he dived to much for the first two jumps and screwed the direction on the next and flies not backwinds, like the others. But anyways he learned without training, inside the competition and get one of the best distances and the absolute max topspeed. So he gets what he want, answers about his suit and fun with the people....

So for not really competing in the competition, with the choice to use a different suit than planed, just for fun and researching, joining totally untrained, I think its not fair to gave him shit for being friendly and just have good company with us!

If he wants to beat someone, he would start the things totally different...there where no need for him to show his skills or to win!

Though I understand your answer, I also think there wasnt any real negative thinking behind the (obvious) statement he made, just taking a gander at the results..

He's not like Tristan..who just asks for a good ass-whooping every once in awhile, because he secretly enjoys em;)

JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

And as to own wingsuit design..the suit we're flying know has been made to our specs, and I just got that one back from the rigger this morning, after about 200 euros worth of modifications? Found a non-gay one though (even though it would have been more fitting to have a gay one do it).

I asked Tony to make me a funny green suit, does that make me a wingsuit designer?

And talking with that same rigger about actually making a 100% own design instead of modifying a suit thats already out there.
Not that I believe I have the magical upscaling solution that will outfly everything out there. But just because its fun, and I like actually doing stuff instead of just bitching about it online

Now YOU are just talking (I'd rather not use the B word since it's rude) about going to make your own wingsuit without actually showing a single stitch.

And risk dying a slow death?
I dont think thats ever going to happen...if anything, it might cause more bitching online by people like you...but die..neeehhh...but when it does..Ill be sure to come to the competitions you are organising

Please quote me where I am b-ing as you state so baldly. I am just thinking about improving the discipline and make it fun for everyone. Although this was the best organised competition so far, no doubt also due to Costyn's and Klaus's software, there are still some questions to be answered. For instance Tobi wanted to use weights for the speed jumps. Now would you allow that or not? If you allow that should you also allow people to use different suits for the different jumps types?

And I am not planning to organise a competition myself but I do enjoy going to them to meet and fly with new people, see new countries and extend my collection of paralog licenses:)
Tristan