tetra316

Nitro/Nitron for wingsuiting?

http://aerostore.com/images/precision/Nitron_23.gif

They have these really cool "Winglets" On the Promo page they state the following:

The Winglets It is quite common for a non-Nitron jumper to ask about the winglets, and without trying to get into any kind of aerodynamic psycho-babble about wind tunnel analyses and such, suffice it to say that these oddball looking appendages on the upper surface work to help reduce the stall speed of the wing, allowing you to make more walk-on landings and fewer landings where you demonstrate the sprint-slide-tumble technique.

:)
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

I jump a 170 Nitron loaded at 1.3 for wingsuiting. My only recommendation is to not roll the tail too much unless you like a long snivel. Other than that, it opens soft and on heading, behaves well in line twists, is fun to fly, and has great slow flight characteristics and landings. :)

The best things in life are dangerous.

Hi Tetra: while I can not answer your direct question, I can say that jumping an elliptical canopy when wingsuiting is not recommended. That is not to say people don't it just means they understand that when things go wrong(and eventually they will) it will go wrong a whole lot faster with an elliptical canopy. The real issue is how the canopy will fly in line twist? When I flew Crossfires, I noticed that in line twist it would point to the ground so I would open at 4500 ft AGL (to give myself time to deal with the canopy). While my current canopy may be far from the recommended (especially after my last openning :o), I personally find that my VX flies well in line twist.
In the end I would reccomend two things:
1) Fly a canopy you can stand up the landing with as wingsuits do not wear well with sliding in.
2) Borrow a rectangle canopy for your first 25 jumps to get down the pull (as per your DZ's policy)

After your first 25 wingsuit jumps, if you can stand up your Katana and feel comfortable with it just jump it. I know Steve (manbird) did jump a Katana.

And, oh yeah, Welcome to the Nylon Crack;)

Kirk
He's dead Jim

Our German friend Oliver (don't remember his handle on dz.com) jumps a Nitron as well, doesn't seem to have many problems with it. I don't know what size it is, though.
Costyn van Dongen - http://www.flylikebrick.com/ - World Wide Wingsuit News

Our German friend Oliver (don't remember his handle on dz.com) jumps a Nitron as well, doesn't seem to have many problems with it.

I know quite a few people jumping tiny, HP monsters, totaly non-suitable for wingsuit flying. And some get away with it. Some dont.

odd are, you'll see your reserve a lot less on a more suitable canopy though;)
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

I know quite a few people jumping tiny, HP monsters, totaly non-suitable for wingsuit flying. And some get away with it. Some dont.

I bought a Triathlon 160 for WS. It does not swoop long and if its a little wind I can just step down, so no need for unzipping legs and its opening clean, nice and fast, so I can deploy <900 without any second thought.

I haven't wingsuited for a LONG time but when i started Chris Martin was the first person to recommend a Nitron to me for ws jumps.

Chris Martin jumped the piss out of the Nitron in his wingsuit. Man I miss that dude.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Well, I am not sure if SDO still maintains the policy but at one time they did require 25 wingsuit jump prior to jumping an elliptical with a wingsuit.

I always thought the Nitron was Precsion answer to the crossfire. I took this from the gear forum here:

The Nitron (9-cell ZP elliptical) is Precision's version of the high-performance original design by Klaus Schenk that is marketed in Europe under the trade name of Nitro by the designer's company, Profile Research. The first time we jumped the Nitro, we knew immediately that we didn't want to compete with this remarkable canopy, we wanted to manufacture and market it by integrating it into the Ground Zero project.
Kirk
He's dead Jim

Hello Tara

The Nitron/Nitro is a great ws canopy. I have over 3000 ws jumps on the Nitron 108/98's I have, with only 1 spinning cutaway caused from a rushed trash pack to get home from Thailand. I'm about 190 out the door so they are loaded pretty heavily. You saw me jumping one last weekend at the Boogie. PM me if you have any more questions. :)

www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

You know Ed, I think my VX is a great canopy for wingsuit flying provided it never again opens as hard as it did on my jump demoing that Raptor:o
I am having to grow a beard until my neck heals up enough to shave

It was body position.....;):P I jumped my 80VX for a few WS jumps and found they opened rather fast and unpredictable.

Heal fast, Buddy :)
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

How many W/S jumps did you have on your Nitron before you ditched it?
I got mine based on how much you liked yours at the time. But I absolutely hated the canopy (120 @ 1.6) and got rid of it PDQ. I seriously doubt I would have liked it any better loaded at 2:1 like Ed. Most people seem to like the Nitron for regular and W/S jumps. Not everyone though.
Sometimes you eat the bear..............

I haven't wingsuited for a LONG time but when i started Chris Martin was the first person to recommend a Nitron to me for ws jumps.

Funny, Chris told me I should be under a Xaos-21 with my wingsuit. I would love a Xaos just not with my wingsuit.

Granted i did have just 200 jumps when you took me on my WS FJC and about 230 when i met Chris and jumped with him.

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky