IslandGuy

1000 Miles

I just read in the "record to beat" thread a comment Glen made about some folks "racking ups some serious air miles" (or something to that effect).

Well, it got me to thinking about what exactly would be considered serious air miles. Certainly a different perspective for me because I'm mostly looking at vertical speed and times, even though I do wear a couple of GPSs and download and analyze the ground track data.

Anyhow, I guess because I've always looked at that data in chunks of a couple minutes or few miles, that it never really struck me that by only 300 jumps or so most of us have easily covered 1000 miles over the ground.

For some reason, the vision of flying 1000 miles in a wingsuit just brought a smile to my face. Thanks Glen! :)

I just read in the "record to beat" thread a comment Glen made about some folks "racking ups some serious air miles" (or something to that effect).

Well, it got me to thinking about what exactly would be considered serious air miles. Certainly a different perspective for me because I'm mostly looking at vertical speed and times, even though I do wear a couple of GPSs and download and analyze the ground track data.

Anyhow, I guess because I've always looked at that data in chunks of a couple minutes or few miles, that it never really struck me that by only 300 jumps or so most of us have easily covered 1000 miles over the ground.

For some reason, the vision of flying 1000 miles in a wingsuit just brought a smile to my face. Thanks Glen! :)

Thanks for one more thing to think about and smile. :)
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

I like clocking up airmiles. Wingsuit Cross Countries are fun. With a good suit and pilot, anything within 5 miles from your DZ is fair game, and easily attainable.

I reccommend using google earth and finding whats around the next DZ you visit, or your home DZ if you haven't tried.....

For instance;

Skydive the Ranch to Mountain BrauHaus

It's a good flight. However, depending on your approach, very few outs after you commit and even fewer near the LZ..... Remember also the bar is higher then the DZ (about 300') , and if you fly over the mountains, your altimeter will be off, but well worth the visuals if you have the glide ratio. Also the landing area is tight, watch the power lines on multiple sides.

Fly within your abilities, have fun. be safe. The whole world is a dropzone.

_justin