bdrake529

What is the "record" to beat?

This negativity isn't typically like you Lou

It's not negativity, it's the plain, unadulterated, 0 calories, sugar coating free truth of the matter. Those 400 linked skydivers and 100 linked canopy pilots all have their names and the accomplishment officially recognized because the governing body of parachuting recognizes each of those perspective disciplines within the sport of skydiving. There is only one way to do that for wingsuiting and I have posted threads in the past about it but addressing it here is no different than all the people who bitch and moan about the USPA online yet do nothing about it in the real world. Trying to explain how it is done here is not the solution. If people want to know the solution all they have to do is look around them and talk to a few people at the DZ, USPA, etc to figure it out. There is a method to the madness and whether we like it or not we have to follow that method if we want to achieve our goal. I'll gladly discuss this topic with anyone in person as I have done in the past with several people already, Klaus and I had a very long discussion in Spain at PIA on this topic and he can tell you himself about it if he so chooses. There is no good short answer on "how it's done".

But lets get back to the other part of the question. Yeah the participants fondly remember those events and their names will eventually be forgotten by other skydivers but the event will be remembered for the simple fact that it IS on record. So you're probably thinking now, "We don't need no stinking recognition from anyone" and you'd be right, we don't have to be recognized in order to do great and wonderful things. But if you want to be able to wear your "world record participant" T-shirt in the bar in hopes that chicks dig you and men envy you, and for others in the sport to recognize WSing as something more than a passing fad, you have to be recognized as a legitimate discipline. YADA YADA YADA, 3 bags full, see the man on the mountain and get his signature. At the end of the day, recognized or not, if you participate in something magnificent, chances are it won't get you a cup of coffee at the end of the day. But who cares,at least you will have the memories and they cannot take that away from you. But, if you want to continue to do WS related events within the sport and receive support from governing bodies and push the discipline forward to where it is viewed on the same level as RW, FF, CRW,etc ya have to be recognized. So yes, by all means always have fun but the minute you want to hang the words "record" on it and have it taken seriously, you need to realize it's a whole different ball game.

Man, I ate the whole bag of Stroopwafels I mentioned earlier and just now, I took the world record biggest shit. How do you like that, James and I both set world records all in one thread, that in it's self has to be a world record. :D;)
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Haha nice!

BTW, you American types can order stroopwafels online in the USA. Of course I can't vouch for their quality. They're not a brand I've ever seen before.

I'll can bring a bunch in November, but I'm not sure about the food import laws. I'd wager stroopwafels count as bakery items?

Interestingly enough, the stroopwafel seems to be a phenomenon in the group of people who work on and develop the software for Wikipedia too. ;) I like their poster too. :D
Costyn van Dongen - http://www.flylikebrick.com/ - World Wide Wingsuit News

PS: I think the winner of the competition should be tested for performance enhancing drugs. :P

That's a horrible idea, Butters! What the hell are you thinking?!?!

Oh... wait... "performance enhancing"...

Nevermind, we're cool.

;)
Skwrl Productions - Wingsuit Photography

Northeast Bird School - Chief Logistics Guy and Video Dork

Avery I am proud to be a part of the Flapjack record.

Man, I ate the whole bag of Stroopwafels I mentioned earlier and just now, "I took the world record biggest shit." How do you like that, James and I both set world records all in one thread,

That sounds like a product of the "Worlds Largest Anus Diameter"

that in it's self has to be a world record. :D;)

BUY A WINGSUIT
My Website
Tony Suits
[url "http:/

Those 400 linked skydivers and 100 linked canopy pilots all have their names and the accomplishment officially recognized because the governing body of parachuting recognizes each of those perspective disciplines within the sport of skydiving.

Hey no worries, I happen to be the founder of Wingsuiters Are Crazy Kids(WACK for short) and would be more than happy to officially recognize the record attempts for a small fee of $2k plus travel expenses.

You know what is going to happen...?.... 71 wingsuiters are going to get something done, then in a season or two 100 plus. It will all be photographed by different pros. It will be all over all of the skydive mags.

Then way later the fAI will get off of their stroopkeisters and will formally recognize a 25 way. It will be official. it will be international and it will be gay! Officially GAY!

You know what is going to happen...?.... 71 wingsuiters are going to get something done, then in a season or two 100 plus. It will all be photographed by different pros. It will be all over all of the skydive mags.

And then after the 100 way attempts, they'll wake up and start aiming for a 40 way they can actually build:P;)
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Then way later the fAI will get off of their stroopkeisters and will formally recognize a 25 way.

WE are missing something kind of fundamental here. If WE want to become officially recognized WE have to work for it. Organizing events at our national championships in as many countries as possible.

WE have to show that the discipline has matured, with a significant number of skilled participants and competition formats that are feasible.

Recognition will take a few years of work, attending meetings, draftings rules, working on competition formats etc etc.

My vote, lets move on from "200 jumps, put on a big suit, legs bent, big disorganized cloud in the sky- woo hoo - great fun"

How about WE agree on a "draft" formation definition that we all apply from now on.

A definition of a completed formation will at least give us some starting point, to help avoid the eventual bickering and confusion that will occur about which formation is the current (un-official) largest to date.

i.e. the Lodi 16 way doesn't count cus they didn't fly it for 3 seconds...

OR the Cochstedt 45 way doesn't count because it wasn't slot specific...

OR the Elsinore 71 way doesn't count because not everyone was within 1m of their defined slot

OR the Stroop wafel 100 way doesn't count because they all just lay down on the grass and ate stroop wafels...

Flocking is fun for sure but maybe we should also try some of that formation flying too?
BASEstore.it

How about WE agree on a "draft" formation definition that we all apply from now on.

A definition of a completed formation will at least give us some starting point, to help avoid the eventual bickering and confusion that will occur about which formation is the current (un-official) largest to date.

i.e. the Lodi 16 way doesn't count cus they didn't fly it for 3 seconds...

OR the Cochstedt 45 way doesn't count because it wasn't slot specific...

OR the Elsinore 71 way doesn't count because not everyone was within 1m of their defined slot

OR the Stroop wafel 100 way doesn't count because they all just lay down on the grass and ate stroop wafels...

Flocking is fun for sure but maybe we should also try some of that formation flying too?

This is the difference that will cause the issue between WS flock formations and CRW/FS/VFS. With out grips WS formations are an Artistic event and open to speculative judging where one judge could say yes and another could say no. There will be movement as there are not grips and this is pushing WS formations to a "tweener" zone between artistic events and RW or CRW where your connected in formations.. Sure movement is in the other disciplines but people are connected. Large WS ways don't have this grip thing to worry about now though maybe in the future it could happen. I just don't see it as possible now. The definition does need to be addressed and some parameters set. It will be based though on proximity and "look"

The 3 sec rule is gone now in Formation Skydiving (unless it was revived again) so that is not going to bump the Lodi 16.. I agree on the Slot specific issue though and the 1M rule puts WS formatinos back into the "tweener" zone and speculative judging.

People are wound up way too tight on this issue. Lets build large slot specific formations and have them accepted as a group of Wingsuiters and stick with the rules that are developed. Then stick with them and not change for every event. I'm not saying that tweaks can not happen but if it is different every toime then we wilol not have a chance to get Official.

As a side, When did Glen become the "Official Gay" monitor??? I will see if I can find a nice Rainbow pin for you the next time I see you

Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

This is the difference that will cause the issue between WS flock formations and CRW/FS/VFS. With out grips WS formations are an Artistic event and open to speculative judging where one judge could say yes and another could say no.

Feel free to blow this off as a comment by a clueless low timer, but why not use streamers of a regulated length to verify the formation?

-Blind
"If you end up in an alligator's jaws, naked, you probably did something to deserve it."

As a side, When did Glen become the "Official Gay" monitor??? I will see if I can find a nice Rainbow pin for you the next time I see you

Scott C.

I remember when the FAI first recognized "vertical" skydiving. Four young ladies from perris did a back pack exit held it for few thousand feet with photo evidence and bam they had the first womens free fly world record. That was cute.

But you must admit that if a handfull of chumps claim their FAI recognized whatever way as the worlds first simply because its recognized then that would be gay, unless of coarse its larger.

Wingsuit competition hosted at the national level is a very long way off. Most jumpers could care less. But its silly to say I'm not going to participate in large focks because they won't be officially FAI recognized. We'll be flying tight 200 ways way before the other things happen.

And to Scott don't you have a rainbow pin in your queen ann armoir or in the glove box of your miata convertible?

Wingsuit competition hosted at the national level is a very long way off. Most jumpers could care less. But its silly to say I'm not going to participate in large focks because they won't be officially FAI recognized. We'll be flying tight 200 ways way before the other things happen.

I remember people saying that about freeflying, before it became VRW. It was recognition and competition that created the current interest in vRW.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I remember people saying that about freeflying, before it became VRW. It was recognition and competition that created the current interest in vRW.

Exactly, venture a guess from successfully pestering the nationals to include FF in competition from the time of its creation? And then how many years to the current state of VRW after that.

And I'm not saying its a worthy venture just that I'm not going to boohoo the hard work organizers and participants are doing trying to get their record attempts flowing. While some organizers mope others have racked up some serious air miles and put a great deal of effort into this thing. Any way you slice it the contribution is good for wingsuits.

Exactly, venture a guess from successfully pestering the nationals to include FF in competition from the time of its creation? And then how many years to the current state of VRW after that.

I can tell you it wasn't done by pestering anyone or just doing it and hoping someone noticed. They went through the same process and dealt with the "method to the madness" to get where it is now. It is definitely a crawl, walk run process. You either meet the requirements and do it by the established steps/numbers or you're basically wasting your time.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

You either meet the requirements and do it by the established steps/numbers or you're basically wasting your time.

So you are saying the happenings in November will be a waste of time?

In which context are you referring to?
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Not everybody knows that the 100 way canopy formation was performed twice. After the record they made some personnel changes to get as many qualified people in on the record. The second time around one or two of the grips were not FAI perfect. The canopy was there touching but it was wrong hand or foot or line kind of rule violation. So that second formation wasn't official. But if you ask jumpers from the second jump that were there it was a 100 way to them. Very few people could tell the official/un-official pictures apart. Both look great blown up to poster size. On a calender, screen saver...... on a t-shirt.

And I'm not saying its a worthy venture just that I'm not going to boohoo the hard work organizers and participants are doing trying to get their record attempts flowing. While some organizers mope others have racked up some serious air miles and put a great deal of effort into this thing. Any way you slice it the contribution is good for wingsuits.

Yup. Again comparing with vRW, neither the USPA nor FAI came cap in hand to the freefliers. It was a few hard working freefliers (like the Nelson kids) that drafted rules, demonstrated that the rules were workable, organized demonstration events, etc. and then went to the governing bodies to make their case and petition for recognition.

Kudos to those that make the effort to make things happen.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.