kallend

3 minute flight

Kinda like Usain Bolt managed to win the 100m :D. Sounds more like you'll do a 3mins every time you solo and can be bothered to max out.

Kris

Usain Bolt was something else, wasn't he? A-Mazing.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Couple questions for my own education...
What were your...
Exit
Deployment
and exit weight?
Incidentally 3:20 is freakin' outstanding, by the way from almost ANY altitude. I'm aware of maybe 8 or 9 of us who have managed it or could... myself, Scary Perry, Jeff Neb, Soby, Mike Masheff, a few of the Euro bigwall guys and a VERY small handful of others, plus a few I don't know but would bet that they have, Ed Pawlowski, Scott Campos and Chuck Blue come to mind. Probably less than 30 worldwide. Although its getting crowded in the ranks of the 3+ minute club these days, breaking 3:15 is VERY rare still. Congratulations! 3:20 is NOT easy. Bet your arms were burnin a bit come pull time, eh?
-B
Live and learn... or die, and teach by example.

Incidentally 3:20 is freakin' outstanding, by the way from almost ANY altitude.

by that statement, 183 seconds from 18.5k MSL/14.5K AGL is pretty good, yeah? As Justin, Scotty, or the other "sea-level" guy will tell you, air is different up here. then again, so are the people.
C-ya tomorrow, Lurch

Pretty good? Um, yeah. If thats your best, managed while being shortchanged to the tune of 4,000 feet of thick air at the bottom, remind me not to try to beat you in an endurance race... your cardiovascular system would beat the shit out of mine. You're already bigger so I know not to bother arm wrestling you... Mental note: Don't try to outswoop Spot on his home turf, either. I'd dig a nice trench even with my rather unswoopy Sabre 135. A man's got to know his limitations.
Seeya soon...
-B

Couple questions for my own education...
What were your...
Exit 14,700
Deployment 3600
and exit weight? 180 pounds

Previous jump I did 2:50 from 12,600ft, deploying at 3,600

Yes, the arms were tired, but I'm a frail old man. I wonder who's the oldest member of the "3 minute club"

by that statement, 183 seconds from 18.5k MSL/14.5K AGL is pretty good, yeah? As Justin, Scotty, or the other "sea-level" guy will tell you, air is different up here. then again, so are the people.
C-ya tomorrow, Lurch

I forgot to add to my current Personal Best due to that jump Spot is talking about. I guess it should go in the other thread but oh well, here it is.. Over 4 minutes (I don't have it in front of me but it was just under 4:10) from my Neptune with an opening registered at 2300 agl Using a Raptor and over 6 miles of distance traveled. Quartering headwind, awesome visuals, one of the jumps I will remember...

Fun flight but Lurch is right in that missing the Thicker air at the bottom makes you think. Same exit altitude but at a Sea Level DZ, I would expect to have been much closer to 5min if my arms did not break, I am looking forward to trying it some time.. Just happy to be in the 4min+ club!!

Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

Is there a limit/definition of the exit and deployment altitude to be one of the famous "3 minute club" members?

I mean..take someone in a classic out on a FFC from 25000 ft and you may have an instant member...

Speaking of members..
My girlfriend has called me a 3 minute man for years..but thats just bragging and showing off:P

JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Is there a limit/definition of the exit and deployment altitude to be one of the famous "3 minute club" members?

I mean..take someone in a classic out on a FFC from 25000 ft and you may have an instant member...

Speaking of members..
My girlfriend has called me a 3 minute man for years..but thats just bragging and showing off:P

Personally I think the "Club" should be based on a standard Exit altitude of from 12500 to 13000 (which I think most will agree is the most common exit altitudes) with a deployment at a Normal altitude.. Sucking low for a few extra seconds is silly so I would say about a 2500 to 3K pull.. With that I can say I did a 12800 exit and a 2500 opening (again on neptune) that was at 3 min 10 sec.

Scot C.

P.S. 3 minute man, hell you are a giver!

I'm actually not referring to that particular jump, Scott... we were 22750 on that jump...this one was a bit lower. Super humid day, clouds coming in, flying over the water. Took the cues you gave me and it helped immensely.
Coupled with those jumps you're thinking of, I now have three 3-min + flights. But LOTS of room for improvement still!!!

Speaking of members..

Personally I think the "Club" should be based on a standard Exit altitude of from 12500 to 13000 (which I think most will agree is the most common exit altitudes)

Not where I jump, unless they're really backed up.

Well there "Mr. La Tee Da - I Jump from Higher" Ihave to say to that, Your 3+ minute flight is just not as sweet :P Fun hell yeah but in reality just not as sweet as getting it from a lower altitude......

Scott C.

If I had to set a bar, myself, I'd call anyone pulling 3:00 or better from 15.5 or less and pulling above 2k a member. Realistically that admits anyone who can manage mid-40's sustained. I'd also allow for things like 16.5-3500-ish (Justin's first at 3:09 I think, bigwall cloudsurf and we all pulled high and landed 3 miles out, recently he managed 3:24 from quite a bit less in Chicago) and managing 2:45 or so from 12 or under "technically" qualifies since if you'd had "standard" altitude available you'd have easily had the big 3:00. My first was 3:11 from 15.2-3200 at Lebanon in a GTI 4 years ago and it felt like one hell of an achievement at the time. Its still a level of "perfect flight" I can only nail maybe one out of three, one out of four tries although part of that is likely because time solos are rare for me these days, now that we have a flock its all tech flying, students and ex-students and occasional acro. I did one a few weeks ago from 13.0-3200 and got 2:50 in an S-6 with the mods taken off which ain't bad but nowhere near my best. Tells me I ain't lost the knack but definitely a bit rusty and got me wanting to do em more again just to get back up to speed and try to break my old numbers again. The really psychotic shit up to 3:30 and beyond from 14.5 or less was ragged as hell, perpetually on the edge of potatochipping six different ways at once and I didn't get there till after a string of solos building up over a couple weeks when testing suit mods timing it by video and even then, could still only fly that well for that long maybe 50% of the time depending on my energy level for the day, overall mental state and whether I had to fly a loop or got out far and flew mostly straight lines. Flocking is easier and a LOT more social.
Now, so far, I'd call Pete Luter the oldest 3+ pilot I know of, at I think 62. Anyone else?
-B

Well there "Mr. La Tee Da - I Jump from Higher" Ihave to say to that, Your 3+ minute flight is just not as sweet :P Fun hell yeah but in reality just not as sweet as getting it from a lower altitude......

Scott C.

Go easy Scott, he's a old guy, really :P
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

Scott C.

I simply disagree with your definition of "standard altitude", that's all.:P