unclecharlie95

Ski jumping with a wingsuit...?

having spent 15 years in the sport and knowing Andi for the last 8 years. he is on top of his game and one of the top jumpers in the world over the last 2 years. he is way behind the normal flight position and looked to me like he nursed the takeoff. no discredit to him for having the balls to try this but he was along for the ride on that one.

many years ago a guy sewed some wings to a jump suit and started kicking some ass. it took F.I.S about .003 seconds to make that illegal.

wingsuits are fun but try pulling 7 seconds off a ramp that hangs down 10 degrees....and landing without a parachute.

[/url]having spent 15 years in the sport and knowing Andi for the last 8 years. he is on top of his game and one of the top jumpers in the world over the last 2 years. he is way behind the normal flight position and looked to me like he nursed the takeoff. no discredit to him for having the balls to try this but he was along for the ride on that one. if he went after it like a normal jump he would probably kill himself landing on the flats.

many years ago a guy sewed some wings to a jump suit and started kicking some ass. it took F.I.S about .003 seconds to make that illegal.

wingsuits are fun but try pulling 7 seconds off a ramp that hangs down 10 degrees....and landing without a parachute.

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UE31hCwYoMg[url]

I don't need GPS or Z-Schlong to see that he's flying at better L/D without wingsuit than 99% of the flockers out there.
Android+Wear/iOS/Windows apps:
L/D Vario, Smart Altimeter, Rockdrop Pro, Wingsuit FAP
iOS only: L/D Magic
Windows only: WS Studio

he didn't get any further than the guy without the suit!

his angle of attack looked like it was more drag than lift he was so head high

and like James said he would land on the flat if he really got on it
Life is a series of wonderful opportunities,
brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.

tonysuits.com

This one is impressive:

Wingsuit BASE, skimming 6 feet above ski slope

Imagine him wearing skiis and just simply touching down on the ground. Landing without a parachute!

You wingsuiters need to test GPS glideslopes wearning skiis and not wearing skiis, as well as seeing historical landing speeds, to see if this is at all possibly doable...

Precedent:
- Youtube video shows it's possible to glide just a few feet above a ski slope, in a full-speed wingsuit parachute jump from a helicoptor.
- The world record in skiing speed is 251.4 kilometers per hour, that's faster than wingsuit flight.

So wouldn't this be worth some GPS analysis of wingsuit flight in the high altitude open while wearing skiis, to see if glideslope can be maintained while wearing skiis and pretending to land on an imaginary slope, and speeds, to see if it's feasible to just safely touch down on a slope? Landing without a parachute, more economically than the multimillion-dollar solution? Some analysis to be done: Jump a GPS tracker while wearing a wingsuit and skiis on a regular skydive, play, and then analyze the data on a laptop. Do it many times, wearing skiis and not wearing skiis. Get some data.

And, if data shows that it's possible, it is much cheaper to specially groom a ski slope to optimize it for a high-speed ski jump landing (which just happens to be a heli wingsuit jumper instead of having lifted off at a ski jump), there's already established experienced ski jump builders who would be happy to be paid sponsorship money to groom a massive well-chosen ski slope of an optimized angle, as a large target area. Perhaps the same ski slope pictured in the video link at the top. Landing in an artifical tunnel is more untested.

All it'd take would be an Altimaster VUE, some custom software, a skilled wingsuit BASE'r that happens to be a skilled ski racer/jumper, no? Even just a cheap $100 GPS tracker would be fine for the research stage of this, just use off-the-shelf software after you've landed.

Worth at least some research -- basically some fun in-the-open-air GPS glideslope analysis, no?

You high profile guys...Worth recruiting some sponsors at least for the safe high-altitude "research", no? It's only 4-figures for the initial research -- CHEAP. Some of you may already have the equipment or can afford to buy it (purchase or borrow speciallized skiis optimal for high speed ski jumping, and just buy a good $100 GPS tracker). With just an individual budget that costs less than the price of a new skydiving rig, one could do the research on your own, as a precedent to applying for sponsorship money towards training for the real attempt?

Basically, if research confirms this is possible, use this data from your research to get a big sponsorship to pay for the training in high speed skiing and ski jumping, and after a year, after many low-altitude skim trials similiar to pictured in video (including while wearing skiis) to test for ground effect risks, finally make the attempt to land without a parachute? This could easily only be 6-figures or maybe even 5-figures, much cheaper than the multimillion dollar solution requiring construction of speciallized structures.

Actually, any of you who have spent more than thirty minutes talking to me about how a person might actually succeed in the "landing " task (not including any media pricks like Jeb Corliss or Felix Baumgartner) would know that I have had the "landing for a "truly" qualified wingsuiter ought to know my realistic plan. Yes, it involves an Olympic ski jump, and yes, it involves a speed -skiing slope for the actual landing.

If you are a friend of mine who could actually do it immediately, Like Loic or Robi, then just do it. If you are a skill-less wingsuiter like Jeb (who made his media money off his suppossed "best friend" frapping into the Royal George bridge) or any other shitty-pilot, then don't bother to ask me how you ought to proceed. Jeb, your Las Vegas will, hopefully, allow you to fulfill your 13-year-old dream of suicide.

Fuck off and die,

Chuck
D-12501

Actually, any of you who have spent more than thirty minutes talking to me about how a person might actually succeed in the "landing " task (not including any media pricks like Jeb Corliss or Felix Baumgartner) would know that I have had the "landing for a "truly" qualified wingsuiter ought to know my realistic plan. Yes, it involves an Olympic ski jump, and yes, it involves a speed -skiing slope for the actual landing.

If you are a friend of mine who could actually do it immediately, Like Loic or Robi, then just do it. If you are a skill-less wingsuiter like Jeb (who made his media money off his suppossed "best friend" frapping into the Royal George bridge) or any other shitty-pilot, then don't bother to ask me how you ought to proceed. Jeb, your Las Vegas will, hopefully, allow you to fulfill your 13-year-old dream of suicide.

Fuck off and die,

Chuck
D-12501

Chucky, thats a NUGGET! :D
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

- The world record in skiing speed is 251.4 kilometers per hour, that's faster than wingsuit flight.

yes exactly, I'll do it, nahh I'll get Jeff to do it, pay for his jump or somth :)
if you cant stop I still think it would be "legal" to deploy a drogue like a dragster does,

ok Jeff, get your ski socks out

Life is a series of wonderful opportunities,
brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.

tonysuits.com

Fuck off and die,

No need for personal attacks. (There. I just saved the job of billyvon ;))

It was a suggestion worthy of public discussion, and I expected more mature counterarguments. I was trying to solicit opinion because not many people have simultaneous ski racing/jumping experience and wingsuiting experience. (I'm neither!)

I have no experience with wingsuiting and ski racing, although I've had experience with raising sponsorship money and GPS, as well as scientific theory (i.e. one would think it should be adequately controllably safe for some proper professional such as Loic to at least do some GPS-only tests in the wide-open-air, above 3000feet -- I'm sure you are all doing this already -- just wondered if GPS has been tested while wearing skiis).

I love people like Loic and Robi, I have watched a lot of their videos. I'm still hoping that wingsuit can still be landed by them! Was trying to throw ideas in. Sad you don't have Loic and Robi's positive attitudes when you called me that 4-letter word. I believe you misinterpreted/misjudged my post.

If it was because of the video link I posted, I was not aware of the rivalry with Jeb and you. For that, I apologize if I thus struck a raw nerve because of Jeb. I did not know this, and am not quite aware of the background info, but you should have brought this up in a factual and neutral way.

Disclaimer: I do not know Jeb, Loic, Robi personally and any rivalries or bitterness that may exist (as you have now so pointed out), but it is not a reason I shouldn't have posted a potentially discussion-worthy post. Also, I have no inside knowledge about Jeb, Loic, Robi plans, beyond what is posted on the Internet. If I coincidentally posted some resemblance of pre-existing plans by some competitor, then I did not know that and I apologize.

It wasn't you I was telling to "fuck off and die", brother. It was just a general comment aimed at the media darlings.

Chucky, obviously the counseling session you just got from mdrejhon wasn't taken too deeply. You need to open up and show more emotion and detail there Buddy. Tell everyone how you really feel, or say something you know nothing about, kinda like he did..... :D
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

It wasn't you I was telling to "fuck off and die", brother. It was just a general comment aimed at the media darlings.

Darnit Chuckie with an open attitude like this its going to be impossible to keep any real wingsuit sponsors, take it easy bro.

Jeb didn't make money selling videos. He is an international assasin for the Vatican. I'm your buddy but I can't take you up on your more realistic plan to land a wingsuit, wish you luck with that. I want to go up not down. I'm working on a plan to ascend in a wingsuit. Like higher then Ives Rossy, sub orbital baby. Like back into the space shuttle bay way up, serious as a heart attack. I need sponsors maybe Virgin, P Allen, scaled composites could give me a boost on a proteous. Hunting for sponsors has led me to tone it down in the WS forum. Lets em know I got a big heart and I'm keeping it real