DarkZero

S´WoM News - Disciplines - Prize Pool € 4000,-

I prefer to put a GPS on a tandem - it's usually easier to retrieve the unit than with a streamer ;-)

But for which part of the jump of the tandem do you calculate the windspeed from? Freefall or canopy? (and if so, how?) And if you calculate the wind speed from the tandem, do you use that speed for the entire day, or only for that load?

The wind speed would be taken at certain key heights, eg. where the wind changes direction or if it is constant, one value @ 2500m would be enough. It would be inter-/extrapolated for the rest of the dive.

We would need one regular jumper/tandem on every load for up to date information.

This years results were not compensated for wind!
My Logbook

Thanx..that explains a lot..as there was quite a bit of variable talk buzzing on the DZ as to how results where calculatedB|.

Not that ANY amount of math or corrections would have helped with my scores hehe

Big thank you for the work (and added explenations here).

So how about next year, adding a few euro's to the entrance fee, and offering people discount 'WoM GPS tandems';)

JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

So how about next year, adding a few euro's to the entrance fee, and offering people discount 'WoM GPS tandems';)

Better yet, let's hold a tandem instructor rating course and help to subsidize the event ;)

Although I still think having the pilot 'fly' the wind @ 2000 and 3000m - even when it's only one value @ 2500m is more practical and should give us practical results. After all, this is all still a lot of experimenting and trail and error...

Oh, and all wind correctionswould not have improved your round 1 time result - except maybe for a 100mph downwind :P
My Logbook

Please explain what you you mean by 'detailed wind speed measurements with GPS ground speed synchronized' and why you'd need it. AFAIK all you need is wind speed (vector - speed and direction) over altitude close to or ideally during the flight.

From time, altitude, true airspeed and GPS position you might be able to remove the effect of the wind.

Actually, Paralog could calculate the wind from a three leg pattern, but unfortunately, those !$&%$§ birds can not fly straight and constant legs and turn tight corners. Tongue

Than thats a really handy feature.

I actually find Tony's 2.9 glide ratio a little unbelievable, considering the best glide ratio on trackingderby.com is 2.7.

Simple: rules are not the same.

Please see here the best glide ratio in Vampire-2 during "Stupino Wingsuit Boogie 2007":
http://www.trackingderby.com/en/trace_view_2858_meters.php

2,96 over 90 seconds!

And here total results for "Stupino Wingsuit Competition 2007":
http://www.ruexp.ru/upload/upload_files/TOTAL%20Competition.htm

Please see here the best glide ratio in Vampire-2 during "Stupino Wingsuit Boogie 2007":
http://www.trackingderby.com/en/trace_view_2858_meters.php

2,96 over 90 seconds!

Thats very impressive, and shows exactly what is wrong with Tracking Derby. This jump should be at nr 1.
Costyn van Dongen - http://www.flylikebrick.com/ - World Wide Wingsuit News

Thats very impressive, and shows exactly what is wrong with Tracking Derby. This jump should be at nr 1.

Trackingderby is competition for forward speed! More forward speed = more distance. Quite simply!

So its really a competition for who jumps from the highest altitude with a steep but fast forward flight, and has the balls to jump with the highest wind possible;)
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Trackingderby is competition for forward speed! More forward speed = more distance. Quite simply!

But don't you agree that glide ratio is a good measure of pilot ability/wingsuit performance? If you want to compare those, I say you should use glide ratio, not distance covered over time.

But don't you agree that glide ratio is a good measure of pilot ability/wingsuit performance? If you want to compare those, I say you should use glide ratio, not distance covered over time.

Than how would you calculate glide ratio? What we can measure is ground track or altitude in the time domain.

Trackingderby's "fault" is not having a fixed race condition like ground track between 2500 and 1500m AGL.

Than how would you calculate glide ratio? What we can measure is ground track or altitude in the time domain.

Trackingderby's "fault" is not having a fixed race condition like ground track between 2500 and 1500m AGL.

Agreed... it should be measured over range in altitude (2500 to 1500), not a range in time (105 seconds fixed).

Please explain what you you mean by 'detailed wind speed measurements with GPS ground speed synchronized' and why you'd need it. AFAIK all you need is wind speed (vector - speed and direction) over altitude close to or ideally during the flight.

From time, altitude, true airspeed and GPS position you might be able to remove the effect of the wind./reply]

But why would you need wind speed synchronized with ground speed [Vw(Vg)]? We need wind speed over altitude [Vw(A)]!
My Logbook

Sorry for being not a computer gps-digital-wind speed-junkee :|
my simple mind says :

paraglider/glider, they searching for upwinds or the surfer try to get the best wave in a competition.

if it works ,is fine-if not . .tough

same story with sailing boats/offshore boats

we do our sports in nature circumsdances, we are parts of the nature,luck seems to be a part of nature.

Let us take chances.

To choose the wrong wind direction is better than miscalculation,isn`t it ?

Totally wrong ? :S ?

don´t pester the jester . . or better: WHY SO SERIOUS ? ?

www.pralle-zeiten.de

same story with sailing boats/offshore boats

Actually a very good example: Sailing and speed boats all compete at the same time, having the exactly same conditions. What they make of these conditions is their skill... Unless you manage to arrange for a plane that fits all competitors at once (I heard the AN-72 is very reliable :S) we need to compensate for the different conditions.

Oh, and as you brought up sailboats: Sailboats actually get a bonus/malus depending on their size/technical advantage (Yardstick-Rule). That would lead to suggesting to normalize the results by weight and wingsuit area! :P
My Logbook

But why would you need wind speed synchronized with ground speed [Vw(Vg)]? We need wind speed over altitude [Vw(A)]!

Both data set should have a common clock, in other words single device ......
Barometric altimeter has its errors, so does GPS and wind speed meter.....

Both data set should have a common clock, in other words single device ......
Barometric altimeter has its errors, so does GPS and wind speed meter.....

We must be following separate trails of thought. I'm still not getting how this all relates.
My Logbook

Attention:
The back flying guy with this sweet belly is Benedikt. He said just before:
"Food mustn´t be tasty- it must just be enough!"

The original quote is: "I eat everything as long as it is much..."
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.

Why don't you use weather balloons. They are cheap, well-tested and pretty easy to operate - also, they are kind of a like designed for that.

You can always try to get the easy way out and offer free tandems to meteorology students from local uni if they do the observations and calculations for you. Best of all they might be able to provide the required equipment as well.

Why don't you use weather balloons. They are cheap, well-tested and pretty easy to operate - also, they are kind of a like designed for that.

Well balloons might be cheap, but a theodolite (angle measuring device) is not really cheap? Or can you rent these? Then it might become interesting. And are the big balloons cheap too? You'd have to follow it with the theodolite until 3000 meters, so I imagine you'd need a pretty big balloon (or a really good (expensive) theodolite).

In hot air ballooning championships such a device is used to measure the winds on altitude.
I could try to get some infos from the ballooning association. Should I try? Could J-Lo do so in his ballooning association?
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.