DarkZero

S´WoM News - Disciplines - Prize Pool € 4000,-

Dubai was interesting, an ever changing city. Buildings that make your jaw hit the floor :)
It would be interesting to get the talented French, Croatian and South African flyers to next years event to really test what can be achieved.

Lutz's average fallrate was 33mph, in 2006 1st place was 39mph. 20s seems possible :)

BASEstore.it

Lutz's average fallrate was 33mph, in 2006 1st place was 39mph. 20s seems possible :)

Absolutely, which is why I like the distance challenge as they had it at Marl because it directly equates to glide ratio, which is the ultimate performance measure of a wingsuit and it's pilot, if you ask me.

Of course, there are still some kinks to be worked out, like having a consistent jump run (preferably at 90 degrees to regular jump run, with contestants only having to make 1 90 degree turn to be flying back to the DZ), working GPSes (maybe with the help of a GPS repeater in the plane), and figuring out a way to deal with the wind variable (ideally a streamer of some sorts with a gps attached which could give you some reliable data on winds at altitude).

Cheers,

Costyn
Costyn van Dongen - http://www.flylikebrick.com/ - World Wide Wingsuit News

I think Jeff shot the prettiest picture of the whole weekend!
This is in no way a sneaky ad for birdman jeans!:P

Uhhh, Jeff shot it?? That's not what I remember. >:(:P

This is in no way a sneaky ad for birdman jeans!

Attention:
The back flying guy with this sweet belly is Benedikt. He said just before:
"Food mustn´t be tasty- it must just be enough!"

. . . . so it´s more made as an ad for Weight Watchers :P
don´t pester the jester . . or better: WHY SO SERIOUS ? ?

www.pralle-zeiten.de

I thought that was some kind of sky striptease

By the way . .nothing wrong with Benedikt, but we prefer you doing sky striptease, maybe net lingerie wingsuit :P

I´ll try to book you for WoM 2009 B|
don´t pester the jester . . or better: WHY SO SERIOUS ? ?

www.pralle-zeiten.de

Absolutely, which is why I like the distance challenge as they had it at Marl because it directly equates to glide ratio, which is the ultimate performance measure of a wingsuit and it's pilot, if you ask me.

I totally agree! That's why I kept pushing and am very grateful to the club and members to purchase a bunch of WinTecs! Maybe we can also add horizontal speed next and introduce a combined result of all three disciplines, just like the FAI F3B class for model sailplanes.

Of course, there are still some kinks to be worked out, like [..] working GPSes

Once we mounted (taped) the units to the back of the helmets we got pretty consistent results. The last two loads did not have a single RJ.

and figuring out a way to deal with the wind variable

We actually planned to do that - Paralog can remove the wind influence from the results. We planned on getting the wind @ 2500m from the pilot, but unfortunately, we realized we need to improve this process as well. Except from having the pilot fly a wind circle, I prefer to put a GPS on a tandem - it's usually easier to retrieve the unit than with a streamer ;-)

I think the only one who was really hosed by not calculating the wind out f the results was Toby. While everbody had a consistent 20kn back wind to play with, the wind died completely on his second distance run. With an artificially 20kn tailwind added to his results, he had achieved 3100m!

Anyway, thanks to everbody involved for the nice event, smooth organisation, good flights and great vibes!

Klaus

PS: It was interesting to see that the times for the distance task were almost identical to the times for the time task. Seems to show that a wingsuit flies as good when flown for best glide ratio as when flown near the stall point.
My Logbook

We actually planned to do that - Paralog can remove the wind influence from the results. We planned on getting the wind @ 2500m from the pilot, but unfortunately, we realized we need to improve this process as well. Except from having the pilot fly a wind circle, I prefer to put a GPS on a tandem - it's usually easier to retrieve the unit than with a streamer ;-)

Wind is not homogeneous. In order to get corrections you would need detailed wind speed measurements with GPS ground speed synchronized.

The jumpruns seemed to vary a bit in terms of spot.
Which ment some people where flying with a wind from the side rather then from the back/tail. I dont know if that in any way influences the way the wind-drift/push is calculated?
As some of the results did seem a bit akward.
Especialy Jeff flying (what he felt) the same performance on two jumps, yet coming down with a 1 km difference in distance on those.

Would it be possible to see the not-wind-corrected scores for jumps like those?

I dont know if these are realistic or doable suggestions for next year;

There was a normal freefaller on every load.
Just giving one of the RW peeps a GPS on each load should enable us to account for (some) of the drift due to wind, and also have it be quite accurate for each load.
And having the pilot always use the same spot/direction for jump run (relative to the upper winds)?
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

I prefer to put a GPS on a tandem - it's usually easier to retrieve the unit than with a streamer ;-)

But for which part of the jump of the tandem do you calculate the windspeed from? Freefall or canopy? (and if so, how?) And if you calculate the wind speed from the tandem, do you use that speed for the entire day, or only for that load?

I actually find Tony's 2.9 glide ratio a little unbelievable, considering the best glide ratio on trackingderby.com is 2.7.

Is it possible to get uncorrected scores from the competition? With the wind factor taken out? I'm just curious to see how it factors into the scores.

PS: It was interesting to see that the times for the distance task were almost identical to the times for the time task. Seems to show that a wingsuit flies as good when flown for best glide ratio as when flown near the stall point.

Yeah this is indeed an interesting point. I heard from several people who got a much longer freefall time during the distance challenge than during the time challenge. I'm guessing its because of the forward speed, you actually start getting some lift, instead of just trying to cup air and almost stalling the suit.

It's too bad Tracking Derby is time-based instead of altitude based like we had at Marl. There are some issues with using time which you do not have with just altitude. I really liked having a 1000m window in which to perform. Also, it makes it more accessible, as you can also participate if you jump from 10,000ft instead of 13,000ft.

Cheers

Wind is not homogeneous. In order to get corrections you would need detailed wind speed measurements with GPS ground speed synchronized.

Really? I actually thought wind is the same everywhere. :S

That's why I suggested to attach a GPS to a Tandem - although we have need to keep it practical. We tried 2000 and 3000m, but that was impractical due to climbing under ATC control near a major airport. A rough estimate by having the wind in the middle of the window is sure better than nothing...

Please explain what you you mean by 'detailed wind speed measurements with GPS ground speed synchronized' and why you'd need it. AFAIK all you need is wind speed (vector - speed and direction) over altitude close to or ideally during the flight.

Actually, Paralog could calculate the wind from a three leg pattern, but unfortunately, those !$&%$§ birds can not fly straight and constant legs and turn tight corners. :P
My Logbook

A rough estimate by having the wind in the middle of the window is sure better than nothing

Depending on which direction people were flying, and that the wind actually varries quite a bit, doesnt this method produce the same (or maybe even bigger) offsets in scores then an uncorrected score would?

I dont know if its data still available (just on the distance rounds) so a comparison with the wind corrected data can be made?

Its not critisism, but rather just speculation and thinking about ways to maybe ad or improve on the competition for next year?
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

The jumpruns seemed to vary a bit in terms of spot.
Which ment some people where flying with a wind from the side rather then from the back/tail. I dont know if that in any way influences the way the wind-drift/push is calculated?

It wouldn't matter whether you'd fly up-, down- or crosswind. Calculating the wind in (or out), would normalize all flights as if they were flown in a no wind condition.

Would it be possible to see the not-wind-corrected scores for jumps like those?

This years results were not wind corrected!

There was a normal freefaller on every load.
Just giving one of the RW peeps a GPS on each load should enable us to account for (some) of the drift due to wind, and also have it be quite accurate for each load.

Or a tandem. Tends to slide less, especially less than a wannabe freelyer ;-)

And having the pilot always use the same spot/direction for jump run (relative to the upper winds)?

That shouldn't make a big difference in the objective numbers, although the subjective visual would be better.

In theory (just making up some numbers) you could fly straight into a 100mph headwind, hover over the same spot on earth and still get a 3000m result after the wind influence was calculated out.
My Logbook