caldefly

TENGU-GHOST

Just wanted to get some feedback about this 2 suits. I own a phantom but i am planning on buying a new suit. not much have been discussed in this forum about the Tengu. i want a suit that can be used for all kind of flying in general. ( flocking-acrobatics) Thanks
" THE SKY IS THE LIMIT "

Tengu seems mostly aimed at the bigger flocker..when it comes to aerobatics, less wing is easier.
The suit sadly doesnt have back presurisation, so in terms of aerobatics/backflying it might be a bit less suitable..

Firbird, Blade, Ghost, Acro, Sm1 etc all have front/back inflation and all make exelent allround/all purpoise suits...

FlyYourBody should be coming out with an improved S-Fly Expert with back inflation shortly as well..
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

I am actually very puzzled by the release of the Tengu. To me, it seems like they took features away from the blade.

If you are looking for an all around suit from BM, I would suggest the Blade over the Tengu. Maybe the S6/S8 as well. Why get rid of the back vents??

PF - Ghost is a good option for an all around suit. Its a step up from the phantom, but still has some flexibility for aerobatic :)

I don't understand where all the 'body type' comments come from. I was told this past weekend that "with my body type" I needed this or that suit.
Scott Burns isn't exactly svelte. He hangs longer than most. Same with Justin. There is a kid that I jumped with at Sebastian who is for want of a better word "huge." HE SMOKED in a Phantom. His forward speed outran everyone on the load (as did his vertical) but he ran fast and clean.
I'd like to try the Tengu, but from what I've seen of it, I'd prefer to stay w/my Blade.

I don't understand where all the 'body type' comments come from. I was told this past weekend that "with my body type" I needed this or that suit.
Scott Burns isn't exactly svelte.

right, but they both fly super mach ones. Skill gets max performance out of a suit, but I think the body type comments usually are to try and help people be comfortable (usually in a flock)

so sure a big heavy guy can fly a phantom, and can rock it, but he might have an easier time flocking in a ghost/sm1/stealth kind of suit, where as a tall skinny guy would have an easier time flying that phantom comfortably in a flock.

thats partly what keeps me in a slightly smaller winged suit, I'm tall and lanky, so if I go out and fly a super big winged suit I feel like I'd have my hands on my ass the whole time just to stay down with the flock, whereas my phantom has a really nice range where I can fly in a flock comfortably, and still punch out when we do performace cloud runs.

so sure a big heavy guy can fly a phantom, and can rock it, but he might have an easier time flocking in a ghost/sm1/stealth kind of suit, where as a tall skinny guy would have an easier time flying that phantom comfortably in a flock.

I think the 'big people going low' thing is flocks is more a matter of getting forward speeds up.

Quite often this happens in flocks that have a fallrate of 65 mph or even more. Yet solo, the people going low can usually fly a lot slower (when flying faster forward). And if it's a matter of not keeping up with the pace of a group, then maybe that person SHOULDNT BE IN THE GROUP but first doing some more solo's to learn and fly!

A lot of people start flying bigger suits, but instead of making the
group fly more, they start using them as camera-suits.

And for smaller people, much like canopies. A big suit may get you lots of airtime, but if you lack the wingload to fly that suit at the same speed as the rest of the flock, then you'll mostly be fighting it down.

I know 'big, bigger, biggest' is the prefered choice for a lot of people, but its not always the correct answer..
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Do you think that someone who is 5'7" 135lb (w/o rig) would have trouble staying down with the group in a Ghost?

I am also looking for a new wingsuit that would work well for flocking, preferably with some good maneuverability, but still be able to punch it. Any suggestions?

It seems like a combinatin of body type and skills should dictate which suit is right, I agree.

why would you want a suit withouth backvents when there are great suits with them.

Gee, I wonder how we ever managed to back fly back when we didn't have back vents?:D You can fly a Tengu or a Blade on their back without issue if you have good technique. The only notable difference is the additional wing on the Tengu requires a bit more attention to avoid flappage. I don't find it any harder to fly my Tengu on it's back than I do on my Blade. YMMV.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Do you think that someone who is 5'7" 135lb (w/o rig) would have trouble staying down with the group in a Ghost?

I have no clue what that is in cm's and kilo's (metric rocks), but having a big suit and needing to fly it closed on 90% of a jump

I am also looking for a new wingsuit that would work well for flocking, preferably with some good maneuverability, but still be able to punch it. Any suggestions?

Yea...get one suit and learn to fly it well...
Though Id love to give you a sponsored or factory/brand oriented reply saying you should own and fly at least a dozen suits, there are plenty of exellent intermediate wingsuits from most manufacturers that encompass every bit of performance and range you (if you're of avg/small build) could ever need and ask for in a suit.

As for being able to punch it, I highly recommend the red line stapler, though other brands/models might also work...

It seems like a combinatin of body type and skills should dictate which suit is right, I agree.

yes..and that works both ways...
For some big people flying tiny suits, it can be a constant fight in trying to keep up with the rest, and an upgrade to their flying wardrobe might be due..

But for a lot of small people, their vanity purchases of big wings could very well be the most useless tool they've ever bought (if formation flying was on their agenda)..

A lot of this thinking (the right suit for your style of flying) also comes from me not wanting to waste money(I dont have) on buying/owning a dozen or more wingsuits Ill never jump..Id rather have one I use soo often and to the max it falls apart when I touch it, yet love so much for what I can do with it, I would want to sleep in it..
B|
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

I don't find it any harder to fly my Tengu on it's back than I do on my Blade. YMMV.

When flying a suit without proper back-inflation, the legwing will definately flap a little to a lot if you're not able to fly the legwing at full stretch (fully open). Which doesnt hapen too often for most people (due to forward drive issues in video/flocking)

The suits with proper back inflation also tend to be a lot lighter to fly on the back in terms of muscle power...

People have also been flying wingsuits on their back before Scott, myself and a lot of other prominent (loud:P) people on here even knew what a wingsuit or backflying was (see the videostuff shot on Dueg.)...but just because it is/was possible, and people could do it, doesnt mean you shouldnt get a more suitable tool for your prefered style of (back)flying.

So yes...I can fly suits with and without back-inflation on my back..but definately have my preference and notice quite a bit of difference...

Back inflation all the way baby;)
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

I say it's all BS and threads like these are nothing more than a mental masturbation of opinions. We've gotten to the point of diminishing returns as far as noticeable performance gaps in the upper end suits and for the most part, the intermediate and entry level suits as well.

Some people will get more/less performance out of a suit based on their ability, and to some extent, their biological stature. However, there is a current trend for people to buy larger winged suits to make up for their lack of skill and patience in learning to fly their bodies. These vanity purchases may fix the short term need for better performance but the long run outcome is a flyer that is dependent on surface area and not on being able to fly their body.

If you have to have back vents in order to fly efficiently on your back then perhaps you need to spend less time in front of the computer and go to the gym once in awhile. Do back vents help? Of course they do, like any innovation that works, the pay off is it usually makes it easier for the average joe. Does that mean back vents will make everyone a better back flyer? Not necessarily. Which is why I tell people to fly the suit that works for them and their flying style. What may be ideal for one person may not be ideal for another. We've all seen the guy in the old school Classic show up and have no problem hanging with a flock of uber big wing suits and smoke people of break off. More often than not, when you hear about someone's inability to do "X" in a suit, it isn't the suit that's at fault, it's the pilot in it. Fly your body not your credit card. ;)

With that said, to answer the OPs question , yes, the Tengu can be used for all types of flying in general...as can other suits.

"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

"like any innovation that works, the pay off is it usually makes it easier for the average joe. Does that mean back vents will make everyone a better back flyer? Not necessarily. Which is why I tell people to fly the suit that works for them and their flying style. What may be ideal for one person may not be ideal for another."

I owned a Phantom with the back fly inlets. Worked my ass off to learn how to fly it on my back. Finally dialed it in and then switched to the Ghost. Sold the Ghost and am now flying my buddies Phantom again with NO back inlets and can fly it better than I ever could on my Phacro. Proof that the pilot, not the suit is the best answer to how a suit flies. Take the time with the suit. size is not necessarily the answer when it comes to fling a suit. I did not take this advise and now I am stepping down to a smaller suit again to learn my basic skills again.