DSE

High speed exit (King Air)

I'm aware of the stabilizer issues on a 90/100 series, and of course they concern me.
I've got two pseudo high-speed exits (powered back up after jump run cut, but not reaching speed) but looking to see if anyone has done more than one or two. What I'm looking for is likely is empirical data, vs what people assume, or math might suggest.

Actually, if you just peeled out of the door with your wings collapsed and flared once you were clear of the tail on a high speed exit from a King Air, would the forward throw still be enough give you a short climb, or would your speed have bled off too much by then? Hmmm...

Still don't want to try it! :)

The best things in life are dangerous.

my Dz has a king air and bernard/edzard and me do it all the time. In saying that we have each got more than 500 wing suit jumps out of that king air.

I would seriously not recommned doing it unless you are very aware on exit.
The trick is to make 100% sure you have passed the stabilizer before presenting your chest and drifting higher.

I have attached a small pick i took a while ago on a late sunday afternoon exit ;) prob not the best shot to show the lift generated out the door but i still like it.

~ time is ~ time was ~ times past ~

Taking a wingsuit out of a low tail king air scares the living hell out of me. I spent a day doing ws jumps from titusville's king air, and every time i came retardedly close to the tail. I can't imagine doing a high speed exit out of one of those and not getting screwed up.

Anyone ever done a high-speed from a King?

Yes Mullins does not slow down, its all high speed baby.:D Did a peel out and downer not a jump up and present.

I absolutely slow down as slow as possible for every jump and I can say with confidence that no one slows down any more than I do and I take pride in giving each jumper the best exit possible. The wingsuits usually go out last and I am at 62 knots when they go out the door. No one is ever allowed to exit until the airspeed is at 85 knots or less, 85 knots is for the big ways (can't get any slower with with a lot of weight aft). As the groups go out, the airspeed is constantly reduced until the last go out at 62. The left engine is at idle the entire time so all wind is airspeed and not prop blast.

I have no idea where you get the idea that I do not slow down but it
is entirely incorrect.

Mike Mullins
King Air Pilot with 30,000 loads flown

Yeah,

Once out at Longmount, CO 2 yrs ago. All I remember was that low horizontal stabilizer burning in my mind and cannon balling out the door to make sure I got below it. I remember the door was small ( being used to Otters ) and the radius curve of the fuselage made it seem even smaller....and hard to exit out of "clean". I remember being blown out the door like grass from a leaf blower.....not fun.

DSE; How have the exits out of your DZ's King Air been? I guess you guys in wingsuits up there have it dialed in so to speak.

I've jumped Longmont's king air as well and the exit speed is fast. Saw Boyd do a nice gainer out of the door in his ghost, looked fun and efficient. One flight out of that king air with my old GTi I hit my elbow on the horizontal stabilizer. All I have to say is it is not pleasant.
High speed exits out of King Air's is frightening!

whether back or poised exit, no issues out of our King whatsoever. We have several wingsuit pilots at our DZ; one person did their first jump course just yesterday in the King (wearing a GTI) and his instructor wearing a Vampire. No issue for them.
I've jumped a Raptor, Blade, GTI, Vampire, Phantom, Mach1...I can't recall what else.
We did a high speed day before yesterday with the pilot putting the door in the burble, it worked. It answered my curiosity. High speed exits aren't something anyone wants to be doing in a King Air. It can be done...Risk vs reward, and there is little reward, IMO.