Maxx

Ueli beats Aircraft

Google Translation: :S

World Record
Wingman is faster than a plane

Ueli Gegenschatz is one of the most extreme athlete in the world. Now, he defeated in a race a line aircraft.

© Reuters

In Ireland there was a spectacular "race". The Swiss Ueli Gegenschatz extreme athletes treasure wanted to record a line aircraft for which a 17.6 km long route along the Irish coast break. The line aircraft needed for the route exactly seven minutes. Gegenschatz flew in up to 4500 metres with an average speed of 250km / h through the air and beat with 5 minutes 45 second the plane lengths.

But the extreme athlete and his long flight is a second cracked record: Never before has been such a timespan with a Wingsuit flown.

Original URL: http://www.oe24.at/zeitung/sport/mehr_sport/article312995.ece

01 | 06 | 2008
thanks to very strong tailwinds, it was possible to fly my profly-wingsuit from above inis mor, aran islands over galway bay to connemara regional airport close to galway . a distance of over 15 km over cold water finally reaching the atlantic coast of ireland. what a spectacular view of historic scenery of old ireland.

fromwww.ueligegenschatz.ch/news/index.php?id=57
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Something seems verry wrong with these numbers.

thanks to very strong tailwinds, it was possible to fly my profly-wingsuit from above inis mor, aran islands over galway bay to connemara regional airport close to galway . a distance of over 15 km over cold water finally reaching the atlantic coast of ireland.

I've done ~7.5 miles in a straight line in a S3 when the same thing happened, and I'm nothing special at these suits. The uppers were *screaming* down to about 3,000' and then turned into almost nothing. But that was in about three minutes from 14,000'+, pulling @ ~2,500'. The tailwind was high as 80mph at higher altitude. So the distance, while definitely a good one, is not at all unreleastic... and doubtfully the furthest flown from that altitude if you consider unofficial records.

And 5'45" from 4500 metres (~14,000')... that's an average forward speed of 97mph including wind and a sustained fall rate of 25mph (assuming pulling at 2,000'). If the tailwind was really ripping like he says, then it wouldn't take much forward speed at all, given that much freefall time. Meaning he basically got out, floated, and the wind pushed him along.

It seems extremely difficult, but not impossible with what some people are doing these days. And Ueli's obviously one of these people.

Not to start another suit thread, but I can't help to think of what kind of distance one would get in less time in those same conditions with a more aggressive suit (in terms of forward speed). Hmmm...

Such an "Extreme Athlete" seems to be easily passed and flown around by the camera person.

Where is the mention of the awsome camera person whou outflies and outdistances this "extreme athlete" ;)

Working to be the last flyer on a birdman suit. ;-)
Who also flies a tony suit.

What aircraft need 7 minutes for 17 kilometers?

just imangine...
Ueli had tailwind from drop till opening basically... So that means the Islander takes off in the opposite direction, doesn't necessarily fly a straight line, sets up for approach etc...
Nevertheless it must have been a cool as hell flight.

Congrats Ueli
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Media 'records' are quite often variations on real records. But the actual record isnt the point in these things.

Its about doing something cool, getting the wingsuits promoted in the media (in a positive way), and about getting a sponsor-name out there who is paying for a lot of the cool things you do.

Seeing Ueli travel all over the world for Red Bull (his RB AirRace demo at the start always rocks) I cant say anything else but, excelent!
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?