sdctlc

Your Longest Flight Time?

4 min, 43 sec.
21k - 2.7k.

WOW, that is a long flight! How tired were you after that....:P

283 seconds over 18300 feet gives and average of 64.66 feet/sec which calculates to 44.086363636363636 Miles per Hour

http://www.calculateme.com/Speed/FeetperSecond/ToMilesperHour.htm

That is a very nice average for that long of a flight..

Scott

That 44mph avg. seemed a little low so I went back and checked out the data. Most of the flight was between 45-50mph. A good throw from the plane and a long snivel at the end seems to have skewed the flight data a bit. (Paralog plot attached).

Cool converter - thanks.

Looking forward to trying that flight next year in a SM1 or Stealth. :)

this is just a friendly "what have you done" question... :)
Scott C.

3:05 from 27,000'
2:22 from 15,000'
Tony Intro suit

Wow, those are pretty different numbers - are you sure about both, or maybe a typo? Now the 2:22 is something to write home about (especially for an Intro, very good), but, the 3:05… hmmm… might want to carry fire suppression just in case... put the flames out. :P;):)
How were your arms feeling after the 27k jump?

Mike
Play like your life depends on it.

I expected a comment on this one. What happened is that I had a hard time breathing once I got out of the plane. That led to a quick decision to try for a record FAST time down to more familiar territory.
I was disappointed to not have a longer flight, but it was still a lot of fun, and the longest I've had so far.
But what do I know?

I never really do solo time jumps, but two weekend ago I did a fun jump from 6000 ft in James' Stealth, trying to see if I could fly for a minute, pulling at 3k.
The plane was a Cessna 206, normal speed exit, and sadly around 100+ kg exit weight.

62 seconds was the score (from video, exit to pitch/pull).

I sadly had to make a turn halfway into the jump, as otherwise I would have landed out, but 70 seconds seems do-able if its just straight and level flight. The turns always build up a bit more speed.

avg. speed was 38 mph, around 34 mph seems doable as a sustained speed when its just a straight line you're flying..
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

I think the longest flight i've done was 11 hours 23 mins.

London Heathrow to Bangkok. Slight headwind, hence the longer time.

Worst part? I had to sit next to a drunk midget who passed out in his dinner, then tried to sleep on my shoulder. [:/]

Phoenix Fly - High performance wingsuits for skydiving and BASE
Performance Designs - Simply brilliant canopies

I think the longest flight i've done was 11 hours 23 mins.

London Heathrow to Bangkok. Slight headwind, hence the longer time.

Worst part? I had to sit next to a drunk midget who passed out in his dinner, then tried to sleep on my shoulder. [:/]

I think Glen already made that joke Macca...better luck next time..;)

Come on...you can do better...B|
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Damn it. That'll learn me to not read the previous posts :(

But hey, my story had a midget in it, so surely that makes it better by default?

He couldn't get his bag out of the over head bin, even when standing on the seat. I had to help him [:/]

Phoenix Fly - High performance wingsuits for skydiving and BASE
Performance Designs - Simply brilliant canopies

3 min 50 seconds 13000-2000
timed with camera as all data loggers are not as accurate.
5'11" 190lbs / 1.8m 87.2kg with gear
also it was a hot day with high humidity
Tonysuit "XS" wingsuit
:)

BUY A WINGSUIT
My Website
Tony Suits
[url "http:/

Tonysuit "XS" wingsuit

Thats 32 mph avg for almost 4 minutes..Oh mister Heffro...can I feel your arm-muscles..;)voice>..

Awesome work man..I can fly it at around 34-ish mph for a minute or so (in a big Sm1/Stealth) but after that my arms give out (usually just left..my right arm is very strong for some weird reason..so I end up making lots of turns:S;))

You coming to Marl this year dude? They have actual money prizes there (not Birdman money:P) sounds like a thing for you....and maybe see SkyJester fly his cool toys on top of that..B|
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Tonysuit "XS" wingsuit

Well, that really only counts if you were on your back ;)

Not a personal best compared to the top post but I did 3min and 10 sec from 12,900 to 2600 last weekend.. Pretty close in time considering it was almost 2K lower exit and about the same opening.

As a side to what Jeff noted about inaccuracy of loggers.. What are the 12K, 9K, 6K and 3K readings on a Neptune. I have been told they are snapshot speeds at those altitudes and I have also been told they are averages in a segment? Anybody know for sure? Even if they are "innaccurate" it is what most of us have to work with... ;)

Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

a side to what Jeff noted about inaccuracy of loggers.. What are the 12K, 9K, 6K and 3K readings on a Neptune. I have been told they are snapshot speeds at those altitudes and I have also been told they are averages in a segment? Anybody know for sure? Even if they are "innaccurate" it is what most of us have to work with... ;)

Scott C.

With data-loggers a lot of display speeds are just snapshots, but taking the data into a computer and doing a full readout should show a more detailed track of your jumps (in terms of speeds).

I've done a lot of protrack/altitrack video overlays with the data, and 1 or 2 seconds aside (due to the start of the jump, the device having a slight lapse in starting) they are always (not one exception) spot on in terms of time.

The only thing not correct are some high-low spikes due to moving my head/arm (or where-ever the device is mounted) around, in and out of my burble.

But in general the speeds and times from the logger seem to 99,9% match the times on video (and altitudes of exit/pull).

Which is a whole other subject than GPS loggers and their accuracy...

But video still seems to be the most faithfull reading for time, as you can really take the moment you pitch/have linestretch as the end of your jump (where the logging devices usually give you a few extra seconds).
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

What are the 12K, 9K, 6K and 3K readings on a Neptune. I have been told they are snapshot speeds at those altitudes and I have also been told they are averages in a segment? Anybody know for sure?

How are freefall speeds calculated?
There are speeds logged at specific altitudes (normally 12,000, 9,000, 6000, and 3,000), as well as an overall average speed.

To find the speed at, for example, 12,000 feet, Neptune looks at the time taken to fall through a 1000' distance, 500' either side of the nominal altitude, in this case from 12,500 to 11,500 feet.

When the time/altitude log is processed by Neptune after you land Neptune looks for the first time/altitude reading that occurred below 12,500', it then looks for the first time/altitude reading that occurred below 11,500'.

The average speed is then the distance between the two points divided by the time between the two points.

So.... how can you get wild readings??

We all know, or we should know, that altimeters sense atmospheric pressure, and that pressure changes with altitude, we also know that the location of an altimeter also affects pressure.

To take an extreme example, if you have a chest mounted Neptune and are stable on your back as you pass 12,500, then you flip on to your belly before 11,500 feet, the difference in pressure caused by your body position could equal 500' altitude difference. On your back your altimeter is in your burble and reading a lower pressure and therefore a higher altitude.

The bottom line is that in this case you will lose 500' indicated altitude just by flipping over, and your calculated speed will be double your actual speed. As I said, an extreme case. The point is that position of the altimeter will have some effect on altitude reading and therefore the speed that is displayed.

The larger of the band used to calculate the speed, the less the potential errors.

The size of the band, and the altitudes that the speeds are calculated at can be changed using the NMU (Neptune Maintenance Utility).

The overall average is calculated by dividing the distance between exit and deployment by the time taken to fall that distance.

Roger Allen
Alti-2
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

My contributions to the personal best list...

165 sec (2:45) from 12,900 ft to 2,500 ft.
I am 6', 210 lbs nekked, flying a Mach 1.

My neptune told me once that I had a flight of 183 sec from 13,300 to 3,000, but in looking at the plot, about 50 seconds of that I was still in the plane, a slight descent before exit confused my Neptune.

I can surge my suit into the low 30's (MPH) for fall rate, but mid 40's seems to be what I can hold for extended periods of time (ie > 30 sec) Not too bad for a fat belly, eh Tony?

....and maybe see SkyJester fly his cool toys on top of that..

The whole system was prepared for the last day (Sunday), but unfortunately the weather conditions were suboptimal [:/] I planed it as a kind of a surprise, which means just sitting with Vega V3 in the plane for a distance run :)
don´t pester the jester . . or better: WHY SO SERIOUS ? ?

www.pralle-zeiten.de

The whole system was prepared for the last day (Sunday), but unfortunately the weather conditions were suboptimal [:/] I planed it as a kind of a surprise, which means just sitting with Vega V3 in the plane for a distance run :)

Damn... I would've paid to see that! B|:o But... have you taken a GPS with you on a rocket-fueled run yet?
Costyn van Dongen - http://www.flylikebrick.com/ - World Wide Wingsuit News

Soooooo, when can we buy one? :)

I think its all parts you can buy and put together with hard work, innovative thought and effortB|.
I dont think Christian bought his setup off the shelf in a wingsuit-rocket-motor store in the shoppingmall;)
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

no,I have only 8 powered flights (with fuel), now I got a new Wintec and will use it for the next flight.
But I don´t think, I can go up.
The speed makes the suit difficult to control.

When you guys come to visit me, I´ll be prepared . . . :)

www.pralle-zeiten.de

I dont think Christian bought his setup off the shelf in a wingsuit-rocket-motor store in the shoppingmall

:ph34r::ph34r:
Damn Jarno, now I will see at every single rocket-flight a wingsuit-rocket-motor store shelf and laugh my ass off >:(:D
C.

www.pralle-zeiten.de