sdctlc

Your Longest Flight Time?

Just hit my new best today, previous being 84 sec.

Phoenix-Fly Phantom 1, solo jump.
Exit - 11,200 ft
Open - 3,000 ft
Time - 105 sec.
Avg. Fall Rate - 53 mph
Slowest - 46 mph
Ground Cover - Aprox. 4 miles.
Plane - C182

This was my 14th wingsuit jump, and my 14th jump on this suit. Loving it! :)

-Dale

Airbus 340
12h30
ZRH to LAX

Dude..it was funny the first time someone made this joke in this thread...less funny when it was done the 2nd time...and now its just uber-gay:P

And got you beat with 21 hours from holland to australia;)

i beat you by 30min - Johannesburg South Africa to New zealand in Jun this year 21.30 total flight time...

{3rd time lucky}:S

~ time is ~ time was ~ times past ~

At Flock-n-Dock 5.0 we did a high altitude load (22k ft.) so there were probably a lot of birds that made personal best times from that. Jarno and I maxed it out and broke 5 minutes.

In summary:
Exit: ~22.2k ft.
Open: ~ 3k ft.
Flight Time: ~ 5min. 30 sec.
Distance Covered ~ 7.5 miles
Temps at 22k: -28C
Suit: Stealth (original)
Video: GoPro
Recording Altimeter: Neptune
Field Elevation: ~ 85ft.

Attached are GPS data files, Paralog profiles, and screen captures from the flight. Haven’t analyzed them yet but hope to soon. One thing that caught my attention was how little difference there was between vertical True Air Speed (TAS) vs. Sea Level Air Speed (SLAS). I thought the TAS would be much higher than it was since at altitude the air is less than half as dense as it is at sea level.

When I get some time, I’ll look at the data and see if there is anything useful that might help on the next hi-alt flight. Would be sweet to break 6 minutes. :)

Im at Tampa Intl. Airport now, waiting for my flight.
Ill do the Altitrack and GPS data overlay this friday and slap it online.
I do have Mike in frame for 70 % of the flight.
Mike, shoot me your video (I can give you ftp acces, or use YouSendit) and Ill combine the two.

And Im 100% sure going to be there next year, I woul love to make it a tight 2 way.
Your running experience and stamina shows in your flying. Im going to put work into that one as well, as tme/distance is somthing I havent focussed on much (outside breaoff after flocking).

And I too was without gloves..I had tingly fingers all day.
Luckely ADHD helped out with the tired feeling afterward (pulling me through).

Think I only had about 3 hours of sleep every night..
Ill be the guy in a coma on the airplane ride back to Amsterdam haha...

ps. My legs still get cramps from the long jump..signs I need to practice more with weights and running I guess
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Good numbers Deniq, but it is not a mystery that Stealth is not designed to be impressive in the horizontal direction, so no surprise there.
"The evil of the world is made possible by nothing but the sanction you give it. " -John Galt from Atlas Shrugged, 1957

Flight Time: ~ 5min. 30 sec.
Distance Covered ~ 7.5 miles
---------------------

Good one Mike and Jarno,

I asked Ben what he did on his attempt and he said 5mins 21 secs, so you got him there,

But he flew 10 miles in his XS. Yes we know that depends on upper winds but he said they were low on his jump,
Life is a series of wonderful opportunities,
brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.

tonysuits.com

Seeing how much more surface area the XS has over the normal stealth1 Mike was flying I guess that makes it all the more impressive what he did timewise.;)

Trying to compare distance is kinda useless as it mostly comes down to a combination of flying style, pilot skill, strength and stamina (which is sadly where I gave out halfway in, due to poor strategy/training in this endurance arena) and upper winds.

Compare the scores on the top pilots in Marl last summer on their 2 tries at distance, and you see glide ratios fluctuate between 1.3 and 3.0 for the same person, and Denis matching the score of an XS in his Phantom. Guess you're not pinning the same comparison down on that one as you do above here:P.

The time is an easy and fairly simple thing to rate. But distance on a skydive...
Its all so arbitrairy, due to too many variables, that (outside of marketing quotes and trying to rate one suit over another for a sales pov.) objective comparison in this arena is (here) a bit useless and close to impossible.

But that aside...hanging there for way over 5 minutes was damn long, and the view was equaly impressive. Though the 'xxx did longer in xxxx' suit may be a fun game to some, I know for Mike, myself and the others on the load the experience itself is the only thing we really care about, and what made the day!

ps.
Imagine being on that load, but having to take off your wingsuit on boarding because its the wrong sized suit hehehe (I felt sorry for you Kipp!)

JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

I asked Ben what he did on his attempt and he said 5mins 21 secs, so you got him there,

But he flew 10 miles in his XS. Yes we know that depends on upper winds but he said they were low on his jump,

What was his exit altitude?
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

ps.
Imagine being on that load, but having to take off your wingsuit on boarding because its the wrong sized suit hehehe (I felt sorry for you Kipp!)

Yeah...I didn't quite break my longest flight time on that jump. :S:D

Looking forward to next year, when I'll make sure I have a suit that fits BEFORE the props start turning... ;)
Signatures are the new black.

... What was his exit altitude?

I was on that load. Our exit altitude was 22,100.

I was referring to a different jump, the one Tony was talking about... see my quote.

Matt,

I went and looked at the other thread and Campos had posted the following:

"drop altitude of 24,550 feet AGL and a distance of 10 miles was flown."

Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

Good jump, IslandGuy!
But glide ratio is only:

Vertical: 22.000 - 3.000 = 19.200 ft (5.852 meter)
Horizontal: 7.5 miles (12.063 meter)

Glide ratio = 12.063 / 5.852 = 2,06

Try to push your wingsuit in horizontal direction! :)

Thanks - it was fun! :)
Again, time was the goal - not distance. (Note Thread Title ;))

I'll see if I can go horizontal more next time... maybe... I like the time aloft... for me, it's the journey, not the destiation. :):D

... What was his exit altitude?

I was on that load. Our exit altitude was 22,100.

I was referring to a different jump, the one Tony was talking about... see my quote.

Matt,

I went and looked at the other thread and Campos had posted the following:

"drop altitude of 24,550 feet AGL and a distance of 10 miles was flown."

Scott C.

Geee, from that altitude, he should have broke 6 minutes. :P:)But damn good flying.

Hi Guys,

There's some amazing stats on this link and goals to aim for.......

Having done my first ever wingsuit jump (S-Fly Access) on the 15th March I set a new PB, yesterday, on my 28th jump. I clocked 102s from 13k down to 3.1k with an average of 65mph - I was so chuffed!!

Ok, I probably flew an arch or L rather than a pure U pattern and the winds were supposedly strong up top but I'm please. Even more so when I was the only one to make it back to the landing area....he he heeeee

Roll-on "Le Weekend" (there's still room for improvement!)

TG
www.gathhelmets.co.uk
www.flyyourbody.com

Let's remember that the glide ratio can only be determined by the forward speed by the downward speed through the air. A GPS measures the speed across the ground. GPS data can be adjusted to account for winds aloft, but this isn't a true measurement of the actual airspeed. Since wind speeds and directions vary by altitude, even flying a "racetrack" pattern wouldn't guarentee that the winds aloft have been compensated for. I think Yuri had a setup for making the proper measurements, but it's not easy to do.

Scott

New personal record from standard altitude:
Saturday October 2, 2010, Jumptown, Orange, Massachusetts
Suit: Tony Suits S-Bird
Flightpath: one and a half overlapping circles
Exit 13,350
Deploy 2,100
Neptune result: No data
Time on video:

3:57

Took me most of a season of flying it to prove it, but I was right. The S-Bird IS a 4-minute suit.
Hell of a design, guys.
-B
Live and learn... or die, and teach by example.

Awesome flight time...though dont forget to thank the pilot and his physical build in there as well:P

When will we see some jumps with GPS data up on www.wingsuitcompetition.com/ppc/
Would for sure get you the title 'best wingsut flyer on the internet' (as geeky as that may sound..kinda cool).

Just to be clear, the above is serious...so many people seem to be doing amazing flights, yet its only the small group of people showing up as the top flyers in the rankings for each comp.

Getting some more diversity in there, and having the ranking be a more complete one (with flyers from all over the world, and not just the ones joining the marl/gransee/hungary events) would rock...

JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?