sdctlc

Your Longest Flight Time?

I searched and found some old threads and losts of different times for a flight. It got me wondering as I did a personal best by a good bit a few weeks back while at the Kamloops May Meet Boogie in B.C. I exited at 14,700 and opened at 2900 and my Neptune read 3 min 29 sec. (209 sec). I was pretty happy with it considering it was the sunset jump after jumping all day and I was not "fresh" by any means. I don't know how much more I could have done but I look forward to breaking my personal best. I am approx 6' and 180lbs w/o gear and did that jump with a Raptor

Short of getting into the arguments on "cupping air", "forward speed", "best glide"... blah blah blah.... What are your best times in a Wingsuit.. I am curious as suits are changing and getting bigger with smaller people flying them which should give longer times when trying for it.. Flock rates are still commonly seen in the 60 to 70mph range with times from 1.5 to a little under 2 min in most cases. The long flight times is a different animal and this is just a friendly "what have you done" question... :)
Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

Going back 2 years in the log book I am finding 110 to 119 second flights in my Birdman Firebird with exit altitudes around the standard 13,500 and deploying around 3,000 to 2,500. Average vertical speeds in the lower 60's to upper 50's. Most of these are solo's or with 2 or 3 other birds.

* From experience my Firebird needs to fly fast in order to maintain lift. I have fallen low on many flocks in this suit when forward speeds are relatively medium to low.

* With smaller wing and a heavy body these flights have really "smoked" my chest and shoulders with barely enough strength left to pitch the PC at pull time.

5/11/08 - 131 Seconds in a Birdman Blade
Avg Vertical Speed via Neptune: 58 mph
Exited at 14,100 deployed at 3,000, Flew Solo

5/18/08 - 127 Seconds in Birdman Blade
Avg Vertical Speed via Neptune: 67 mph
Exited at 15,000 deployed at 2,300, Flew Solo but trying for distance, covered 4 miles
* Check in with DSE he flew better than me on this one!

* Looking at my log book the vertical speeds of larger flocks ( Lodi & Elsinore ) I have been in has ranged from the mid 70's to upper 60's. My Blade has given me more "range" in these flocks.

* With the larger wing surface I have less stress on my chest and shoulders during flight and experience far less fatigue after a day of jumping wingsuits as compared to jumping my Firebird.

Even with a few hundred winguit jumps I hope my data / observations on Firebird vs. Blade flights show that there are just way too many variables to definatively state that one suit is better than the other and a lot really depends on the person flying the suit.

By the way, whoever made the statement: " The only naturals in this sport crap through feathers."; is brilliant!;)

I don't know what my longest flight is (protrack) but my best average for a whole dive is 38mph in my Phantom. With a 14k exit altitude my protrack has registered deployment after 119 seconds at about 7.5K. I'm guessing that'll have led to a 3 minute flight, but I don't know for sure.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

A few weeks ago I got 160 seconds (2 min 40 seconds) with my Stealth from 13,500'. At the time I was 208 pounds naked. I've lost some weight and I'm trying for another "best" tomorrow.

BTW, some of the old Pro-Track's top out at 119 seconds of freefall, telling you that it's time to buy another device.

Scott, I got 3 minutes on my S-3 a few years ago, I was flying hard not floating. I might have thrown a little low though :$ Haven't even bothered to time my V-2 flights, I'm sure they're not even close. 3 1/2 minutes is impressive!

Sometimes you eat the bear..............

My longest flights so far were my third and fourth jump in a firebird and both jumps I was folding the wings in a little to catch the 2 way (so I'm pretty sure I can get a lot more if I just do a solo again...I'm also still pitching kind of high so we will see in the next few what happens)

WS #3
exit: 14420
in the saddle at 4360
FF time 100 secs

WS #4
exit: 14190
in the saddle at 3650
FF time 106 secs
SONIC WOODY #146

There is a fine line between cockiness and confidence -- which side of the line are you on?

Current absolute limits, unusual circumstances:
4:05 in a stock S-6, 22,000-2000
3:46 from 15.9-2500, heavily modified S-6,

More reasonable altitudes and the numbers I usually state when asked are

3:39, 14.9-3000, mod S-6,
3:29, stock S-6 a couple years ago, 13.5-2000-ish and got called up on the deck and chewed out by the DZO for it. Arriving directly over manifest still trailing just a pilot chute at under 2k wasn't my brightest moment.
-B
Live and learn... or die, and teach by example.

you guys have the flight times I'd like to achieve one day... Maybe after I get my Super-Duper Mach 2.4b:)164 seconds
49 mph at all three altitudes measured by Neptune
Birdman Blade
Exit 13,900 Deploy 2730
Eloy Wingsuit Skills Camp May 18, 2008.

Half-u... call it an L pattern actually, a single very wide, shallow flat turn, then haulass for home. You sacrifice so much fallrate with turns. It gets worse the slower you're going... at 60mph fallrate a turn might not cost anything cause theres more wing than you need, at low-30's and below, the slightest disturbance knocks me up into the high 30's mid 40's. In the end the limits always been muscles, though. Last year's zipon wingmod flights were unbelievably brutal on the arms. As I got used to the loading my Neptune began failing to detect exit altitude till 9 grand when my arms got tired, then lower and lower till I could sustain those fallrates for most of the dive and it stopped detecting freefall at all, just logged dataless jumps like it does when you ride the plane down, showed canopy display during the flight with the FPS display strobing wildly between 40-80 feet per second, basically sustained but irregular high 20's, mid 30's, low 40's range. If I had anywhere near the endurance to sustain that the whole way down, a 4 minutes from 13.5 flight would be doable. But I don't. Any wing big enough to pull 4 minutes is too big to fly maxed at that level for that long. Every flight theres a sagout somewhere in there where I'm overstraining a couple muscles while trying to rest the main ones for a few seconds and the efficiency loss forces me up into the 40's and 50's.
-B
Live and learn... or die, and teach by example.

Well I know Im extremely new to the wingsuit world but I have done just 6 wingsuit jumps and on average i flew for 49 secs, with an average freefall of about 80 in an older GTI from 10.5, fully open at 4.6 I hope to one day achieve those slower speeds and longer times. Any advice from you experienced flyers?

The Sky's not the limit, the ground is. Fear Nothing, Regret Less.

4 min, 43 sec.
21k - 2.7k.

WOW, that is a long flight! How tired were you after that....:P

283 seconds over 18300 feet gives and average of 64.66 feet/sec which calculates to 44.086363636363636 Miles per Hour

http://www.calculateme.com/Speed/FeetperSecond/ToMilesperHour.htm

That is a very nice average for that long of a flight..

Scott
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

How about 50 seconds, including a nice carving turn, from 3,000 feet. Jumping from lower altitudes eliminates the protrack 119 second issue. But then again, it was not from a fixed wing aircraft either...

4 min, 43 sec.
21k - 2.7k.

WOW, that is a long flight! How tired were you after that....:P

283 seconds over 18300 feet gives and average of 64.66 feet/sec which calculates to 44.086363636363636 Miles per Hour

http://www.calculateme.com/Speed/FeetperSecond/ToMilesperHour.htm

That is a very nice average for that long of a flight..

Scott

Ya, my arms were pretty tired toward the end. Wasn't quite sure how tired so I pulled a little high in case I had to go back for seconds.

Not sure if it was the lazy throw from tired arms and hands or the sloppy pack job from the nite before (QC goes out the window when there's cold beer and icy rum drinks calling :)
Definitely looking forward to doing some more of those. To get an idea just how long it is, start the timer on your watch and let it run for 4+ minutes. During that time just imagine taking in the awesome sights of the Puerto Rican coastline, mountains, and rainforest in the morning light... ya, I'm hooked. B|

4 min, 43 sec.
21k - 2.7k.

Puerto Rico this year... sights were so breathtaking, did everything I could to make it last as long as possible. Next year, I'm going to make every high altitude load I can get on.

Dam, that's like one weekend of skydiving combined for me half the time... and all in one jump!!

I got my best in my Acro at skyfest on Thursday night at 86 seconds. I was setting the base for a 7 way. After that Tony let me use a demo raptor and all my times were in that 90 second range... go figure... I need more wing area... I'm about 230-235 out the door and kinda short so I need lots of area...

I'm 6'7" and about 210 w/o gear.

If you believe what a neptune says, I've had a couple 205-215s flights in a prodigy (the old kind) exiting no higher than 14.5k and sitting in the saddle no lower than 2400'

It was in my helmet the first time and I didn't believe it so i put it on my wrist, then again my ankle, and then on my mud flap :P

... if you believe what a neptune says

This isn't flying, its falling with style.