aarthus

Pressurized - New Wingsuit

It´s not that new, but I don´t think anyone has seen/flown one for real yet. Anyone?
Apparently it incorporates an external catheter device so you can go pipi on the extreme long flights http://www.pressurized.at/index.php?eID=tx_cms_showpic&file=uploads%2Fpics%2Ftrigger_inlet.jpg&width=800m&height=600m&bodyTag=%3Cbody%20bgcolor%3D%22black%22%3E&wrap=%3Ca%20href%3D%22javascript%3Aclose%28%29%3B%22%3E%20%7C%20%3C%2Fa%3E&md5=c714797a3ae2f06b780f51318081f768:D

Tristan
Will you answer "NO" to my next question?

andi was at ITW the same weekend, when the "stane brithday big way" happened. he used his old prototype of the trigger, cuz the new and modified version he made was sent to a customer.

i think elamarillo can say a bit more about the suit, they did a few 2 ways and he also got very nice footage.

andY

almost making me point at it and saying "cool..is that a V...."

But what about this statement:

"A unique vertical stabilizer has been incorporated into the suit to keep the back spoiler at a defined distance to the leg wing."

I am guessing this is what they are referring to:
http://www.pressurized.at/index.php?eID=tx_cms_showpic&file=uploads%2Fpics%2Ftrigger_inlet.jpg&width=800m&height=600m&bodyTag=%3Cbody%20bgcolor%3D%22black%22%3E&wrap=%3Ca%20href%3D%22javascript%3Aclose%28%29%3B%22%3E%20%7C%20%3C%2Fa%3E&md5=c714797a3ae2f06b780f51318081f768

It does open the door though to some funny comments though.. "You need a measurement of What??"

Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

Where some suits 'echo' other manufacturers designs, this one does ring a particularly strong bell in my head, almost making me point at it and saying "cool..is that a V...."

I hear you. Wait until you see Atairs "new" design known as the Aerosuit(TM) that was shown at the NY Met recently. The suit and the rigid wing they had on display make air sirens go off in your head.:S
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Where some suits 'echo' other manufacturers designs, this one does ring a particularly strong bell in my head, almost making me point at it and saying "cool..is that a V...."

I hear you. Wait until you see Atairs "new" design known as the Aerosuit(TM) that was shown at the NY Met recently. The suit and the rigid wing they had on display make air sirens go off in your head.:S

http://www.crunchgear.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/metwingsuitdisplay.jpg
Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live

Yea..Id already seen those..

The rigid thing is a hybrid copy of Yves wing and Skyray.
And the Atair suit (white) looks like an S3/Firebird copy.

There's some new items up with pix for those interested.

http://www.engadget.com/2008/05/14/exo-wing-is-worlds-smallest-jet-worn-like-a-backpack/
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

or you could say it looks like an S....................8!!!

:D:D:D

Justin
Wingsuit organizing, first flight courses and coaching
Flock University
Tonysuits

or you could say it looks like an S....................8!!!

Not really...as the trigger and V's seem to have a legwing thats sized accordingly to get the forward drive matching the size of the armwings;)
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Wait until you see Atairs "new" design known as the Aerosuit(TM) that was shown at the NY Met recently.

Just to clarify this is Atair USA (Dan Preston) and NOT Atair Canopies from Slovenia (who make Troll,Radical, Trango, Dragon, OSP canopies etc).

Long story but they are 2 different companies..
BASEstore.it

Wait until you see Atairs "new" design known as the Aerosuit(TM) that was shown at the NY Met recently.

Just to clarify this is Atair USA (Dan Preston) and NOT Atair Canopies from Slovenia (who make Troll,Radical, Trango, Dragon, OSP canopies etc).

Long story but they are 2 different companies..

why would a company making fabric based items call there company a tear?
Life is a series of wonderful opportunities,
brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.

tonysuits.com

The name "Altaïr" is Arabic for "the Flying", from the phrase الطير. The spelling "Atair" is also used frequently. The name was given by Arabic astronomers and adopted by Western astronomers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altair
Daniel Preston <><>
atairaerodynamics.com (sport)
atairaerospace.com (military)

From Pressurized web site:

"For flexibility reasons, Team Air Paranoia uses mostly helicopters to launch BASE jumps from."

:D

Does a helicoptor-based launch platform represent a B, A, S, or an E? ;)

Sean Connery could get away with it, he'd be going BASHE jumping anyway.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

From Pressurized web site:

"For flexibility reasons, Team Air Paranoia uses mostly helicopters to launch BASE jumps from."

:D

Does a helicoptor-based launch platform represent a B, A, S, or an E? ;)

maybe "o" for other... but a whirly bird isnot a fixed object, lol
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

In starting Atair’s primary backer was FESTO, one of the world’s largest privately held automation companies. Having their core technology in pneumatics they have the wonderful motto ‘anything air’. Around the same time that Festo backed Atair they also funded the Swiss company Prospective Concepts.

Atair Aerospace and PC had simultaneous developments of wingsuits. Yves Rossi was the talented stunt man who worked with PC on testing their wingsuit. The PC “flying man” suit utilized pneumatic unfolding wing tips. After the PC project ended I believe Yves continued on his own, to build a version which replaced the unfolding inflatable tips with rigid ones. http://www.prospective-concepts.ch/html/site_en.htm

Atair continued strictly on Government projects.

Now Yves Rossy being a stunt man and equally talented promoter is able to publicize things that I only wish Atair could.

Atair Aerospace is a U.S. Government prime Contractor. We are prevented from publicaly releasing any details, video’s, photographs, on contracts without receiving prior permission from our government customers. For obvious reasons our government does not like to disclose information on what special equipment our operatives are using or who makes them. Much of what we produce for the Army we receive permission to disclose, however for most other agencies we do not. The wingsuits that we have on display at the Smithsonian and now Metropolitan Museum actually have subtle changes made to them over any possible Government versions in production.

Btw the Aerodynamicist and co-designer on the x-wing is Barnaby Wainfan of Northrup Grumman. A few of his unclassified assignments include:

• Flight mechanics lead for US Air Force Hybrid Launch Vehicle program.
• Aerodynamics lead for Joint Unmanned Combat Air System (JUCAS): responsible for X-47B air vehicle aerodynamic design, testing and analysis.
• Aerodynamic consultant to the F-35 program addressing issues concerning abrupt wing stall (AWS) and high-speed flying qualities.
• Wind tunnel testing and control effector design for Northrop Grumman X-47A Pegasus UAV
• F/A-18 E/F Transonic flying qualities enhancement.
• NASA Space launch Initiative aerodynamics and vehicle concept development.
• Aerodynamics/Aerothermal IPT Lead for the SA-1 airbreathing space-launch vehicle demonstrator.
• Led team that designed and tested in sub-scale form an advanced ram-wing scout vehicle.
• Configuration team co-leader for AFX concept development. Aerodynamic design, configuration synthesis and wind-tunnel testing of Northrop AFX concept.
• Aerodynamic wing design for MALD (Miniature Air-Launched Decoy) vehicle.
• Wing design lead for the Tier II+ high-altitude long-endurance UAV.
• Aerodynamic design and testing of configurations and control effectors for the JAST/ Joint Strike Fighter
• Configuration synthesis, aerodynamic design and wind tunnel testing of the ALF/ ASTOVL light fighter.

Barnaby is recognized as one if not the worlds leading expert on flying wing design.

As to the soft wingsuit on display. It’s constructed of our inventive 3dz fabric, a non woven engineered polyethylene fabric. http://www.atairaerospace.com/parachutes/composite/

Given that I was born into this industry watching Stane, Robert and Jari produce Wingsuits, it was only a mater of time before I decided to test out my own ideas. At first glance the planform is similar to Robert’s SF3, however the suits are considerably different. The inflated shape airfoils and rear deflector are radically different. Most of my effort over the last few years has been going into optimizing the drag cause by the center portion of ones body and pack. This is primary area which is aerodynamically imperfect on every wingsuit (except Jii) and where I believe the most significant improvements can be
made.

Blue Skies.
Daniel Preston <><>
atairaerodynamics.com (sport)
atairaerospace.com (military)

The wingsuits that we have on display at the Smithsonian and now Metropolitan Museum actually have subtle changes made to them over any possible Government versions in production.

The times where one lone soldier got dropped over a jungle with just a single knife as his survival kit and weapons system seems to have ended with Rambo 2?

Though Id love to see wingsuits as a big militairy dicipline, where would they come into use in a real world situation?

Doesnt a canopy/paraglider always win in terms of payload and flying range?
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?