aarthus

Pressurized - New Wingsuit

Btw the Aerodynamicist and co-designer on the x-wing is Barnaby Wainfan of Northrup Grumman. A few of his unclassified assignments include:

Whoa! Thats a hella long list. I bet you he is qualified as some kind of wingsuit instructor or another, am I right?

It would be nice to see some in-flight pictures of the Aero-suit so we can all recognize how radically different from PF design it is.
"The evil of the world is made possible by nothing but the sanction you give it. " -John Galt from Atlas Shrugged, 1957

Doesnt a canopy/paraglider always win in terms of payload and flying range?

Yes, positively, every single time.

Except when the "wingsuit" is a rigid wing that may have jet engines.

He mentioned wingsuits and militairy versions of those...the fixed wing design is a whole other concept.
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

there will not, in the lifetime of any active-duty US army special forces soldier that I know today, be an instance where an A-Team guy infiltrates using one of these rigid wings hauling gear, motors or not.

First of all, the great majority of military freefall jumpers have less than 200 jumps. Even the the VERY experienced MFF guys rarely get the opportunity to even attend the AMFFQC (or the black-side tandem and tandem bundle courses). It's an AMAZINGLY small community and I was a part of it for over 20 years. While there are some daydreamers in odd, research and development jobs who might possibly convice their bosses that they ought to be able to at least try out these contraptions, I can promise you that none of these things will ever make it down to the operational level. Seriously.

Chuck

Where some suits 'echo' other manufacturers designs, this one does ring a particularly strong bell in my head, almost making me point at it and saying "cool..is that a V...."

I hear you. Wait until you see Atairs "new" design known as the Aerosuit(TM) that was shown at the NY Met recently. The suit and the rigid wing they had on display make air sirens go off in your head.:S

So, was that article put on the front page because it was controvercial, rather than being actual news? Just wondering.

I like Jarno's Rambo comment, i was thinking exactly the same thing! I bet Arnie could pull it off! haha

So, was that article put on the front page because it was controvercial, rather than being actual news? Just wondering.

Well since it actually made the news papers, I'd assume it was news. I am sure that there are some who would find the content of the article questionable though.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

...and where are his handles? They look like they've been swallowed by the suit.

You could spend the rest of your life looking for a cutaway and reserve handle on most BASE-rigs:P*

*yeayea..there are base-rigs with a reserve, and quite a few have a cutaway for waterlandings etc;)
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?