meekerboy

Where do you sit in the aircraft at your local DZ?

This question is directed to your local dropzone only.

Some wingsuiters stay near the pilot, but then this means you have to watch you leg wing more. Others stay near the tail which gives more space, however you can get in the way of the other jumps / cause CofG problems.

I want to know what the general trend is in the world.

I think the answer to this question varies wildly depending on the type of aircraft being used, and the number of wingsuiters on a load.

Eg, if my home DZ has a Turbo Let (for you americans, think of an otter that's eaten too much cake), the wingsuiters will sit up near the pilot, in the correct exit order.

If we're using a Dornier G92, then it may be that the wingsuiters (if in a small group) will sit on the floor by the tail as there is more room than there is trying to be 'side slung' on the benches.

Can you ellaborate on what you mean by jumpers having to watch their wings if they sit up near the pilot? Is this just because of the type of aircraft you're using? What is it? Do you mean if they use the co-pilots seat?
Phoenix Fly - High performance wingsuits for skydiving and BASE
Performance Designs - Simply brilliant canopies

At my local DZ we do use a fleet of G92's. So yes its a pain in the neck to sit near the pilot. This is because if you have your legs either side of the bench then you risk leg wing damage from people sat in front of you. If you sit with you legs sideways, you do not have much room for your feet and it exposes your arm wing and ejection handles to the person in front of you. There is also the safety issue of causing damage through stress to the suit. Having a leg wing blow up in freefall is extremely dangerous.

I have done wingsuits from many many aircraft and the only ones where it makes no difference to me are aircraft with side-facing seats such as Otters. Being seated on the floor (such as a Caravan) means you have to protect your leg wing also and it is often very crowded. In addition, if you are sat on the floor with you knees up, you are putting lots of extra stress on your suit.

I guess my point is that there is a balance between safety (due to damage to the suit ) versus convience to other jumpers / comfort for yourself.

I am seeing more and more examples of wingsuiters staying near the door.

I've lost track of the numbers of jumps i've made from G92's now, as mentioned above, you have a couple of options.

If you're only on a two / three way, and the DZ is ok with it, you can sit on the floor by the tail, giving you lots of room to sit with your leg wing done up.

If you sit up by the pilot, do your leg wing up before you get on the aircraft, then sit with both legs to one side of the bench. It'll probably piss off the FFers a bit as you take up a tiny bit more room than normal, but that's their issue to deal with.

I leave my arm wings undone until 10K or so, then kindly ask the people in front if they can shuffle forward a bit to give the wingsuiters room to 'zip up'.

I would say it was 'cosy' up near the pilot, but not really a pain. Also, i'm guessing when you say 'ejection' handles, you mean your cutaway / reserve handles? I've never found these to be at any more risk than any other jumper on the load?

When on aircraft where you have to sit with people between your legs, i tend to keep my legwing off until 10K or so, then stand up and 'zip up'. After that, i stand or crouch depending on how full the load is, then prepare for exit.
Phoenix Fly - High performance wingsuits for skydiving and BASE
Performance Designs - Simply brilliant canopies

Caravans.

Always been sat up by the pilot, on the floor. Not really given an option by others to sit anywhere else usually. You're right, it is a right pain though - especially since it's not an option to leave the leg wing undone on a Caravan. Usually get around being so cramped if I'm wearing a big suit by keeping my legs together. Something like an Acro (where the leg wing is much shorter) it's less of a problem.
--
BASE #1182
Muff #3573
PFI #52; UK WSI #13