unclecharlie95

Vx(3) proto, sneak preview

The V3 was launched to the public at the Bridge Day 2008 trade show and generated a lot of interest.

I still didn't get a production suit yet but the only change from the version pictured is the cut away system - which is the same as that on the Stealth - running under the zips on the arm sleeves. The handles stow at the hip in the usual position.

Everyone who has demoed the suit to date has been very impressed from the 1st jump. Even a few guys that post here have tried it ;) Tony? :P

BASEstore.it

The rear leg wing arrows were kept though.

Good, those look cool.

Question, on the order form, the "3. Parapack" color option is shown to apply to the leading edge, the rear leg wing arrows, AND two diagonal stripes (fairly thick) on the front leg. But in your picture you have orange for the first two, but black where those diagonal stripes would be. Is this also a change from the proto to production? I'm not sure which I would prefer (stripes being body color and thus not visible, or the highlight color of the other parapack). I'm a black and orange guy myself so I'd like mine made like the one you posted (minus the fangs), though I'd be open to the orange continuing on the front leg in those stripes. Hm.... I guess I'd be happy either way.

Thanks,
Brian Drake

the only change from the version pictured is the cut away system - which is the same as that on the Stealth - running under the zips on the arm sleeves. The handles stow at the hip in the usual position.

Another question:
I've only briefly seen a Stealth in person (when you sent one out to Jeb to try) and neglected to inspect the cutaway system. Basically it allows you to put the suit on and off a rig as easily as a Tony Suit, but cuts away like a Phoenix-Fly/Birdman etc..., correct? Is this a last minute production model addition or were some of the V3 protos equipped with this system? In other words, has this cutaway system been thoroughly tested on the V3 in the BASE environment? If so, is there any difference from the "old" style in terms of performance/inflation/ease of use?

With 6-10 weeks delivery time, I'm rationalizing to myself that an impulse order today is really an exercise in delayed gratification... Damn, this really is worse than crack.
Brian Drake

And another question:
The "belly cam strap openings" option - is there any loss of pressurization/performance by having these put in? I love the belly cam perspective on proxy flying videos so definitely would like to have them as a future option, but not if there's any significant tradeoff in performance.
Brian Drake

Everyone who has demoed the suit to date has been very impressed from the 1st jump. Even a few guys that post here have tried it ;) Tony? :P

Yes, very impressed. PF has outdone themselves again and raised the level of high-performance WS. I'm excited enough that when I get it I'll begin training on it in whatever silly-low temps we'll have here at the time.
"The evil of the world is made possible by nothing but the sanction you give it. " -John Galt from Atlas Shrugged, 1957

And another question:
The "belly cam strap openings" option - is there any loss of pressurization/performance by having these put in? I love the belly cam perspective on proxy flying videos so definitely would like to have them as a future option, but not if there's any significant tradeoff in performance.

I dont know where the strap openings are, but using a belly-mount like the one from bonehead (belle-vue) installing a small 5 cm zipper on your belly-button seems to work pretty well as well (wearing the whole setup underneath the suit).

Is the setup on the V2 something like this?
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

>But in your picture you have orange for the first two, but black where those diagonal stripes would
>be. Is this also a change from the proto to production?

Correct, production change. You can ask for yours to be the same color as the suit body if you wish, drop us an email with the colors you're after.

>Is this a last minute production model addition or were some of the V3 protos equipped with this
>system? In other words, has this cutaway system been thoroughly tested on the V3 in the BASE
>environment?

The last 2 pre production V3s have had the cut away system, it works great. The system requires less maintenance than the old version as the cables stay cleaner for longer.

>With 6-10 weeks delivery time, I'm rationalizing to myself that an impulse order today is really an
>exercise in delayed gratification...

There are already a lot of orders so it is more likely 11 weeks for the US. Your call, but at least you’d have it ready for the new season.

>The "belly cam strap openings" option - is there any loss of pressurization/performance by having
>these put in? I love the belly cam perspective on proxy flying videos so definitely would like to have
>them as a future option, but not if there's any significant tradeoff in performance.

These are two Velcro closed slots on both sides of the suit body that allow you to wear a belly cam. No performance loss when not in use.

> installing a small 5 cm zipper on your belly-button seems to work pretty well as well (wearing the
>whole setup underneath the suit).

True, as long as the slot allows for movement during deployment. The system Robi uses wouldn’t work with the zip though. He has the camera flat on a plate that sits on the stomach (no arm).

J
BASEstore.it

First I am very intrigued by the attachment system...can't see it.

Interesting things I can see are

a) Based on the amount of Orange(leading edge) I am guessing that the wing of this suit is 'thinner' compared to older models(attached pic of V1). Compared to Phantom(thickest part of the wing was 7" on mine and about 11" for the V2) and it also looks like the arm portion of the wing is not designed to inflate. Tony? James?

b) The inlet runs from the shoulder to the MLW hole and is air locked? That is a HUGE inlet but otherwise the same concept as a V1?

Kris

Yes, the arm sleeve shape is dictated by the semi rigid leading edge and arm tension.

The arm inlet is different to the old V1 design - as shown in the photos. It is air locked tapered scoop design placed lower down on the bottom skin. The inlet is more efficient in this position, working at more angles and allows for cleaner air flow over the arm leading edge.
BASEstore.it

So come on then Kris buddy are we gonna order V3's and go on a WS base mission next northern hemisphere summer? Im getting tired of the permanent sunny days here and perfect skydiving weather, I miss the european walls alot and am not able to go another season without a flight from my favourite wall.... what do you say? enough talk lets go base jumping buddy....

D

Yes, very impressed. PF has outdone themselves again and raised the level of high-performance WS. I'm excited enough that when I get it I'll begin training on it in whatever silly-low temps we'll have here at the time.

Hey, where did you demo one? Me and you are the same size unless I am confused. 6'2", 175 lb?

Kris

Yea..me too..
Non-metric people are gayB|

Nah, just because nature punished me with 5'9"@200lb... :P

It's too many pies that punish you with extra weight, not nature. Don't hear any athletes moaning that they would have won the race if they weren't so heavy, do ya?:P
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

what if the dude is all muscle?

Then it's still him that's done that and not nature. My point was simply that this is a sport, if you think your physique is wrong then change it. Can't control your height but you can control your weight and condition. I'm in no position to talk really, my fitness is horrific at the moment, but I should have long enough to work on that before the new toy arrives;)

You order a V3 jakee?

Certainly did:)
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Hey, where did you demo one? Me and you are the same size unless I am confused. 6'2", 175 lb?
Kris

Yes, we're the same size. I demoed direct from the manufacturer, oddly enough. But I did like the V2 and flew it almost exclusively for the past 200ish WS jumps, so maybe it still comes down to preference on whether you will like the next Vampire.
"The evil of the world is made possible by nothing but the sanction you give it. " -John Galt from Atlas Shrugged, 1957