pywas

Birdman Classic ?

Hi to all. I'm new to wingsuit, just got 2 flights on demo Firebird. And guess what - I liked it :)
I made a search and it seems you can get second hand Birdman Classics for quite cheap.

So the question is, is the BirdMan Classic suit are suitable for today needs and flying style. What are the advantages and disadvantages of this suit.

I'm not planing to be just flying wingsuit, I just want to take it for fun jumps or sunset loads. So I don't think I need high performance suit. I plan to fly in group, and other 2 or 3 wingsuit pilots at my dropzone are flying Firebirds I think.

Maybe Birdman classic is not a good choice? Then what I should be looking for? Thanks!

I personally would not go with the classic 1 --- it only has 1 zipper and is hard to get in and out of -- try to find a suit that has 2 front zippers - there are many kinds out there - Classic 2, GTI, Phantom, Acro, and many others.

If high end doesn't matter just find a suit with 2 zippers ---- If you find a Classic 1 and you don't care about the ease of getting in and out don't pay more than $225.00 US and in my opinion that would be high.

Hope that helps

The pimp hand is powdered up ... say something stupid

I would say to look for a GTI (usually the least expensive option) a Firebird (Basically an upgraded GTI) or a Phantom.

Scott C.

Edited to add: I think there was a Firebird in Spain noted on the classifieds recently..
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

Thanks, I saw that one in classifieds, but it's not the right size for me, besides it costs 50 euros more than the new one from the stock :)
So the question is, maybe someone selling used GTI or Phantom? ;) I'm 5'11 (179cm) and 170 pounds (76 kg) normal build. I have flown the birdman L size suit and it filts me good, but I think I could squeeze my ass in M too B| Thanks a lot ;)

I personally would not go with the classic 1 --- it only has 1 zipper and is hard to get in and out of -- try to find a suit that has 2 front zippers - there are many kinds out there - Classic 2, GTI, Phantom, Acro, and many others.

The originals also have wings made out of parachute ZP (as opposed to hot air balloon ZP on somewhat newer suits) which tears if you look at it cross-eyed. It's a few hours of rigging time to get in there and sew a proper patch.

The originals also have wings made out of parachute ZP (as opposed to hot air balloon ZP on somewhat newer suits) which tears if you look at it cross-eyed. It's a few hours of rigging time to get in there and sew a proper patch.

I've seen more 'new' suits with exploded/torn/shredded wings than on the oldies that are still out there flying.

I think the tears you're talking about are more likely to be the result of 8 or more years of loyal service on those suits, abused while teaching people to fly those first few jumps..

Its all about R.E.P.S.E.T.C. for the elderly:P
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Here is an original classic keeping up with a tall guy in a vamp, well actually a flock of various modern big wings. Its on its third owner and I can bet you real money none of the previous owners ever flew it this well. The pilot does not get to fly it much but does a fantastic job when he gets a chance.

I think the tears you're talking about are more likely to be the result of 8 or more years of loyal service on those suits, abused while teaching people to fly those first few jumps..

Nope. I ordered the suit in question brand new after the convention in 1999, didn't jump it much until I got a friend into wingsuits, and didn't jump it much after because we got Skyflyers.

The first bad landing one of the few borrowers put on it made a hole.

The few plane rides seated on the floor made on that since the repair have also added visible wear.

The same bird-junky became a Birdman and then Phoenix-Fly distributor, with fleets of suits sent out so it did not get a lot of use after we got the Skyflyers.

The parachute ZP is like tissue paper, the hot air balloon ZP serviceable , and newer stiff fabrics pretty much bullet proof.

The suits fly fine though; it took us a while to figure out body position to make the Skyflyers fall slower (more forward speed was never an issue).

You can also replace the single zipper with a piece of fabric, and add double zippers where they should be for less than an hour of sewing (the zippers are pretty much free).