skybytch

First Rig FAQ

New or used? -

Depends on what you can afford. Either one will work fine. If you have a large budget for gear, go for all new. If you can’t quite afford US$4500+ for a complete new rig with AAD then look for all used, or a mix of new and used. With some effort you should be able to find a complete used rig with AAD for US$3000 or less.

One hassle with used gear is finding a harness/container system that fits both your body and the canopies you intend to put in it. This can be especially difficult if you aren’t an “average” body size and/or shape (i.e. over about 6’ or under about 5’7”, 150-200 lbs, not bowling ball shaped or really buff upper body) or if you are looking for one of the more popular entry level canopy sizes (170 – 230 sq ft). While you’re searching remember that a harness can be shortened by a master rigger, and that you can put a canopy one or two sizes smaller than the container was built for into it without safety issues. I do not recommend putting a canopy one size larger than the container was built for into it – learning to pack is frustrating enough without trying to stuff 190 sq ft of slippery snot into a space designed for 170 sq ft of slippery snot.

Even if you can afford all new, you might want to look for used for your first rig. The money you save can buy a lot of skydives, plus you won’t have to wait 6-26 weeks for your custom gear to arrive. And like seeing that first scratch on a new car vs. that first scratch on a used car, you won’t be quite as upset when you buttslide that landing and get grass stains all over those brand new legstraps or scrape the back of the container on the door as you exit the plane.

Mixing new and used is a good idea if you aren’t average sized or if you’re trying to find something in the more popular entry level canopy sizes. A new harness/container system filled with used canopies and AAD will give you the comfort of a custom harness without the sticker shock of all new gear.

Which main should I buy? -

The number of different canopy models on the market can be confusing. Some canopies are not suitable for a first rig, while others may be suitable but may not have the flight characteristics you’ll be happiest with. The best way to determine which main is right for you is to put some demo jumps on each model that you are interested in.

Some canopies that are suitable for a first rig include PD’s Spectre, Sabre and Sabre2, Aerodyne’s Pilot and Triathlon, Icarus Omega, Omni, Safire and Safire2, PISA’s Hornet, Big Air Sports Lotus and Precision’s Synergy. The Spectre, Omega, Omni and Synergy are all “semi elliptical” zp seven cell canopies; the Triathlon is a rectangular zp seven cell canopy; the Sabre is a rectangular zp nine cell canopy, the Lotus is a semi elliptical airlocked nine cell and the rest are all “semi elliptical” zp nine cells.

The basic difference between seven cell and nine cell canopies is in their glide angle. Generally speaking a nine cell canopy will glide further for the same amount of altitude loss than a seven cell will. This can be important if bad spots and a lack of outs are common at your dz. Some jumpers prefer the steeper landing approach of a seven cell, others prefer the more shallow (more airplane-like) approach of a nine cell. If your primary interest in the future is doing high performance landings you’ll likely be happier with a nine cell for your first main.

What size main should I buy? –

The first thing you need to understand before choosing what size main to buy is wingloading. Wingloading is a ratio that expresses the number of pounds per square foot of canopy. Your wingloading on a particular size canopy is determined by figuring your “exit weight” (the weight of your body and all your gear) and dividing that by the square footage of the canopy. Although not totally accurate, adding roughly 20 pounds to your body weight will give you an idea of what your exit weight is. Let’s assume your exit weight is 190 pounds. Fly a 190 sq.ft. canopy and your wingloading would be 1.0:1 (190/190=1.0). Go up to a 210 sq ft canopy and your wingloading would be 0.91:1 (190/210=.91). Go down to a 170 sq ft canopy and your wingloading would be 1.12:1 (190/170=1.12).

Your instructors are your best resource for determining what size canopies will be right for you as they have seen you fly and land a parachute, but ultimately you have to make your own decision. If someone is recommending a canopy size to you that you do not feel confident you can safely land in a worst case situation on your next jump, feel free to ignore their advice and buy something larger. Most experienced and knowledgable instructors, riggers and gear dealers will recommend that you do not exceed about 1.1 wingloading on your first canopy, and many will recommend staying at or below 1.0. I recommend going over 1.0 only to those novice jumpers who have received state of the art canopy control training in their student program, shown superior canopy control skills on their student and post student jumps, and plan to continue learning about canopy control by taking a canopy control course and then practicing what they learn on every skydive. For those jumpers for whom learning to land standing up has been a struggle, those who did not receive state of the art canopy control training during their student jumps or those who have no access to or interest in taking advanced canopy control training, I recommend staying below 1.0 wingloading for a first main.

Conservative sizing for your first main will allow you to walk away from the small screw ups that we all make while learning to fly a modern parachute, and will also allow you to learn and practice higher performance flying and landing techniques under a canopy size that you are confident you can land safely when shit happens (and shit does happen…). You may be capable of landing a higher wingloaded canopy just fine 95% of the time… it’s that other 5% you need to be worried about. Some things to consider – can you safely land that size main in no wind? How about crosswind? Downwind? How about into someone’s backyard or in a parking lot full of cars because JoeBob can’t spot?

Keep your first reserve size close to the size of your first main. I recommend going no smaller in square footage than your body weight in pounds for your reserve, and larger is better.

Which container should I buy? –

(Speaking only about the US market)

Things to consider when choosing your new container –

1) Safety – Which container is safest? In my opinion every new container on the US market will be safe regardless of what type of flying you intend to do.
2) Price – What can you afford? When comparing prices between two or more containers be sure you are comparing the total cost including all of the options that you want. Containers are priced like new cars; there’s the base price, then there are the options. Options can as much as double the your total price of a container depending on which and how many options you choose to put on it.
3) Delivery time – How long are you willing to wait? Delivery times for custom containers vary depending on the manufacturer and what time of year it is. As of October of 2003 delivery times vary between 4 and 26 weeks for the most popular containers.
4) Looks – Which container(s) do you prefer the look of?
5) Customer service from the manufacturer – Some manufacturers do a better job of taking care of customers before and after delivery of your new container.

In my opinion, if your new harness/container system is sized to fit your body measurements and the canopies you put into it, it will be comfortable and work just fine for whatever kind of skydiving you intend to do.

Some useful online resources –

(note – listed manufacturers are all US based. If you know about non-US manufacturers, please post to this thread and add links)

Harness/container system manufacturers – explore these websites to find product descriptions, container sizing charts, order forms, measuring instructions, coloring programs, delivery times, contact information and available stock

Javelin and Javelin Odyssey
Vector 3/Micron
Infinity
Wings
Talon/Talon2/Talon3/Voodoo
Mirage G3/G4

Canopy manufacturers – explore these websites to find weight limits, product descriptions, contact information, coloring programs, available stock and order forms.

Sabre2/Spectre/PD reserve

Raven-M reserve/Raven/Raven Max reserve

Safire2/Omni

Triathlon/Pilot/Smart reserve

Educational resources –

http://www.dropzone.com/gear/articles/
http://www.dropzone.com/safety/Gear_and_Equipment/index.shtml
http://www.performancedesigns.com/education.asp

Good post!

But, as for harness and container systems, could you just post a link to the gear section?
Used to jump a Paratec NExT back in Germany, much like the Infinity, but a lot more common over there (local manufacturer, great service). All TSO'd to TSO 23 D(?).
I can highly recommend this rig as a first h/c system.
The mind is like a parachute - it only works once it's open.
From the edge you just see more.
... Not every Swooper hooks & not every Hooker swoops ...

Good article but something I would like to add about choosing a main canopy. To often people only consider wing loading when choosing a main. Remember, when the canopy gets smaller, the lines get shorter(in most cases) and the canopy becomes more responsive. Sometimes much to responsive for a new jumper to handle in an unfamilar landing situation/area.

If we had a hypothetical jumper with 25 jumps and weighed 130 to 140 pounds with gear, I certainaly would not recommend he/she to buy a canopy with a wing loading of 1:1. I would suggest something quite a bit below 1:1.

Just a thought

The thing is that most people downsize for the increased responsiveness.

Many don't consider that they will usually increase their WL and thus their speed under canopy, which is why the emphasis is (imho rightwise) being put on the WL aspect.

My two ¢
The mind is like a parachute - it only works once it's open.
From the edge you just see more.
... Not every Swooper hooks & not every Hooker swoops ...

Great post -- very useful information for someone considering their first rig. Even though the cautionary advice on wing loading to those buying their first rig is very common on this site, I just want to re-emphasize the need to fly a canopy that you can safely land in ALL conditions. My first main was larger than what had been recommended to me (I'm at 1:1 instead of about 1.2:1 as recommended) and boy was I ever glad the first time I had to land in heavy traffic and the first time I landed crosswind :o. I'm still learning a lot about this canopy and am in no hurry to downsize. That should be the approach for every new jumper ;).

Good post, should help lots of people out who ask the same questions time and again:)

I just wanted to comment on container size. I bought a container that is a size smaller than the canopy i'm jumping. Yes, it's a pita to pack, and it was nearly impossible for me to do at first. But, i've gotten used to packing it and I think my packing skills are pretty good because I did this. I have packed other rigs that are made for the canopy that is in them and it is a breeze now. :) Of course, not everyone will want to do this because it is tough at first, but it can be done. And, in the end, I can downsize two sizes before having to purchase a new container. Not that I will, but it's nice to know I can:) I would not have liked to buy a container larger than the canopy I am jumping, expecially a brand new container. Because then if/when I downsize from said canopy, i'd also need to downsize container. Just some thoughts. In the end, probably better to go with the container that is made for the size you're jumping. But, imo, if not that, then go for one size smaller.

jmo.
Angela.

What's your opinion on PD's Silhouette?

Ah, I'd forgotten about that one. It's also a good first canopy, just not real popular in the US. The "hybrid" construction (zp topskin, F111 ribs and bottom skin) make it a bit easier to pack than an all zp canopy.

I put a few jumps on one a few years ago and was impressed with the performance; snappy turns and a great flare at a 1.0 wingloading.

i see where you're coming from, but i don't think its the case all the time. for example if i had a sabre 150 as a first canopy (i'm out the door at 120 lbs), i'd be going backwards under 15 mph winds.

maybe stress the idea of conservative flying at a 1:1 wingloading instead for the lightweight beginner? just an idea... but it always does come down to the particular individual ultimately.

If we had a hypothetical jumper with 25 jumps and weighed 130 to 140 pounds with gear, I certainaly would not recommend he/she to buy a canopy with a wing loading of 1:1. I would suggest something quite a bit below 1:1.

One thing to think about with smaller jumpers is there arm strength. I will use the ladies as an example. Just because it happens more often with them then with guys, but it goes for guys as well. When you have that bigger canopy it takes more strength to pull the brakes. This can make you real tired and not leave strength for flairing during landing. Not all, but a lot of ladies and some guys (trying to not get flamed here) aren't very strong in the arms and upper body. So be underloaded can put them in a bad situation. Case in point, a very close female friend of mine had over 300 jumps and couldn't land her canopy standing up consistently. After watching many of her landings we could see that she wasn't able to flair all the way down leaving her at about 3/4 brakes when she hit. She went down one size (135 to 120) and has stood up all her landings but one since then. This is not to say that if you can't land your canopy, go smaller and you will be fine all the time! If you are a bigger person that lacks arm strength then go to the gym and get in shape! Talk to your instructors and responsible jumpers with experience and see if this might help you! The above example is what I am refering to. A jumper 130 to 140 lbs. exit wieght may warrant a smaller canopy. The low wing loading may make there problem worse or start one that didn't exist before. BTW when this jumper downsized she was watched very closely by at least 4 people for a period of about a month with constant threats of taking away her new canopy if she didn't perform well with it!

Dom

Good post Lisa! I agree with you. I really think if a new jumper can afford it, go with a new H/C and used canopies. You can go up one and down two sizes with most H/C out there (talking mains). You can grow with the new H/C. Get a reserve the same size or maybe even one bigger then your main. No need for a tiny reserve in the begining!
Dom

*** My first main was larger than what had been recommended to me (I'm at 1:1 instead of about 1.2:1 as recommended) and boy was I ever glad the first time I had to land in heavy traffic and the first time I landed crosswind . I'm still learning a lot about this canopy and am in no hurry to downsize. That should be the approach for every new jumper .

GREAT ATTITUDE FOR A NEW JUMPER!!!!!!!!!!! I am sure I will see you in the sport for a long time!!!!!
Dom

They are not bad canopies. The problem is you will have a hard time when it come time to resell it. They are not in demand. If you go with the SABRE2, or SPECTRE you will have a better chance of getting a good price when you resell. The Pilot woulsn't be a bad bet either (it is my favorite intermediate canopy). WE have been selling more and more of them lately. So they sould have a decent resale value in a year or so!
Dom

Harness/container system manufacturers – explore these websites to find product descriptions, container sizing charts, order forms, measuring instructions, coloring programs, delivery times, contact information and available stock

Jump Shack, 2K3, Racer, Tandem

Canopy manufacturers – explore these websites to find weight limits, product descriptions, contact information, coloring programs, available stock and order forms.

Jump Shack Firebolt main and Anglefire reserve

Educational resources –

Jump Shack Technical Articles

This has severe implications for those people out there with T-Rex arms (or lack of upper body strength). When choosing a canopy, it is important to realize that if you have trouble flaring your canopy, a 7-cell isn't always the wisest choice since the better part of the flare is in the bottom end. We have one girl at our DZ who was convinced (by a gear salesperson) that she should jump a Spectre because of it's soft openings. That's fantastic, but I've yet to see her stand up the landing. If you can't walk, chances are, you're not going to be jumping either.
"Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what seperates us from the animals... except the weasel."
- Homer Simpson