ultraviolet

Load, exit and flight plan ?

I wouldn't get on that load.

Quoted to agree!!!

I'm scared enough when we get together to do 20 ways :ph34r::ph34r:

But for shits and grins and the purpose of discussion....

I would probably go reverse order of traditional exit order. Small to large groups, b/c I believe the larger the flock, the slower the forward speed. That way a group wouldn't catch up??

But then again, perhaps since the big group wouldn't cover much ground they should get out first....hmmmm??????

Well I do know those 7 solos need to hike up their skirts and fly together. If nothing else a loose flock that has it's eye on one another. Since we're all flying to the same general location, I would rather have closer groups that see each other than long and strung out.

Jeez, that does sound scary.

I agree with Phil. You really can't have 7 solo WS pilots out of the same plane on the same jump run. Yes, there are a few exceptions but lets not get into distance challenge dive formats. They should flock together or get on alternating loads to spread it out.

Alternatively, the whole load could get out together for one hell of a 20 way zoo dive!! :D

WSI-6 / PFI-55
The Brothers Gray Wingsuit Academy
http://www.myspace.com/cgwingsuitpilot
http://www.myspace.com/thebrothersgray

20 wingsuit jumpers on one load

7- solo
4- 2 way
1- 5 way

How would you exit and flight plan it ?

Basically it's like 20 aircraft all in the pattern for the same airport. :S Getting on a different load would be the wise choice. Having more then 3 groups exiting with separate patterns, on a single a aircraft is absolutely stupid......:|
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

2 wingsuit groups per load are fairly safe, anything more it starts to get dangerous. Each solo counts as a group.

You're all a bunch of spoiled 'big plane' people....multiple groups..tsss
C172 rocks the shizzle!
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Basically it's like 20 aircraft all in the pattern for the same airport. :S Getting on a different load would be the wise choice. Having more then 3 groups exiting with separate patterns, on a single a aircraft is absolutely stupid......:|

I would get on that load with one of those humongus belly mounted IMAX cameras and I would open about 6 k under a very bright parachute, letting everybody on the load know what I was doing. If I live through it will be great video.B|

In reality I probably wouldn't be touched but I doubt that the flockers would be so lucky fixating on me and not watching out for the "other" converging traffic.:o

2 wingsuit groups per load are fairly safe, anything more it starts to get dangerous. Each solo counts as a group.

Just an idea here for the solos and 2 ways on a wingsuit only load - say jump run is from East to West right over the runway.

The first group exits and flies an out and back pattern to the North.

The second group exits and flies an out and back to the South. The groups should not cross the flight line (runway) until under canopy.

The 3rd group goes North, the 4th South and we'll put the 5 way out last, 2 miles West of the last group for a straight flight back to the airport.

With plenty of time between groups do you think this would be safe ? (I'm not a big fan of out and backs, but for the sake of the load ).

Hmm...

Have the exits be a few miles off the DZ, everyone flies straight in, no turns allowed. 1 group aims left of DZ, 1 group aims at DZ, other group is right of DZ. Do a lot of go arounds in the plane so only 3 groups are in the air at once.

20 wingsuit jumpers on one load

7- solo
4- 2 way
1- 5 way

How would you exit and flight plan it ?

With the information you have given, it's hard to say, as there are other variables that come into play that could make it either a "no way" or a "no problem". You would need to have info for the 7 solo pilots, the 2 ways and the 5 way to include aircraft jump run to organize it safely. Given the right WS pilots and circumstances along with a plan the entire group was aware of, it could be do-able.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Scott, what are your thoughts on that "out and back" pattern for multiple groups ? I think my first scenario was maybe a bit much, but here's the thing, at our DZ there are more and more WS all the time and I was just looking for some ideas on exit and flight patterns.
Thanx to all for the input :)

We practice the 'out and back' method for groups.
Flying at a slight offset to jump run.

If known, the heavy/fast/less optimal flying group gets out first, so there is also horizontal/timewise seperation.

Then the solos. If possible also devided by skill/fallrate and awareness (better solo flyers get out last).

Depending on where in the exit lineup you are;

- 180 (165 or so actually)
- 90/90 (left right)
- follow jumprun, 90/90

though it rarely happens, this is rougly the lineup/exit we (most dutch/belgian wingsuit flyers) use when there are one or two groups and the odd solo.

Also see attached graph
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Scott, what are your thoughts on that "out and back" pattern for multiple groups ? I think my first scenario was maybe a bit much, but here's the thing, at our DZ there are more and more WS all the time and I was just looking for some ideas on exit and flight patterns.
Thanx to all for the input :)

The short answer: Yes. You can do it several ways as long you alternate left and right hand patterns between groups given a standard jump run into the wind. There are several different variables that could effect whether the flocks go out first or the solos do and thats where it can get complicated. Rule of thumb: less experienced pilots, those doing acrobatics out first(closer to the DZ) and more experienced out later/last (farther from the DZ).

I go into more detail during skills camps and during the instructor course but just for the sake of discussion, so this doesn't go down a rabbit hole of "You didn't mention "X" and "Y", etc, we will assume some simple ground rules.

1. This is one of several possible scenarios with minimal variables that is most commonly encountered and works in most situations. There are exceptions to the rule.

2. Everyone on the load is capable of flying a standard pattern, ie: doesn't have ADD and loose their mind and fly a right hand pattern when they should be flying a left or fly haphazardly all over the sky. (Don't laugh, I see it all the time,even from "experienced" pilots)

3. There is only one plane.

4. The plane is flying a standard jump run into the wind and there are no other wind issues,weather/clouds, flight restrictions, hazards, etc.

5. Last but not least by any stretch, the Safety of everyone in the sky should be the fore most deciding factor over any other circumstance, situation, individual wants or personal comfort levels.

If anyone wishes to discuss this more in depth send me a PM and I'll gladly help you burn up all your roll over minutes.;)
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING