LouDiamond

2008 Wingsuit qualifier and skills camp

My favorite flight was the crosswind distance trial.

As I rounded Picacho peak and headed north back to the dz, Douglas smoked past me headed the long way around.

And damned if he didn't get back just seconds ahead of me. Must have been because his unfair advantage with that directional ponytail.

Cheater!

nuh-uh! It wasn't the ponytail, it was because I pulled lower than anyone else! I was gonna give Jeb Corliss a run for his money when I realized I'd flown from the sperm to the irrigation ditches. I'da' pulled lower, but Randy's canopy was in my way and I lost concentration when I saw him, but my original intent when you saw me double back was to fly over the exhaust of the tunnel to gain even greater lift.
THAT'S how you turn in a 3 minute flight.:D
BTW, beard=drag. Ponytail=streamlined

Sounds like you guys and girls are having a fun time.

Who is the chick in the Matter suit? You don't see many of those things flying anymore.
WSI-6 / PFI-55
The Brothers Gray Wingsuit Academy
http://www.myspace.com/cgwingsuitpilot
http://www.myspace.com/thebrothersgray

Juan and Scott flew still cameras and outside video for de-brief. Thanks guys!

Others had video but chose to focus exclusively on learning to fly to a specific slot and work on improving individual flying skills rather than worrying about a camera. Class was in session with lots of work to be done!

In addition to a camo base rig, olive drab main, camo stash bag, ghillie suit, and non reflective hardware; it does serve its purpose you know.......
( S.E.R.E ) Survival Evasion Resistance Escape from certain police in certain national parks.

You go Nick! ;)

That would be Domin. She is from France and OMG she is so HOT! Looks, brains, and flies a wingsuit. What more could you possibly want?

Ummmm....... a 5000ft private runway with a 300 series T tail King Air with a cargo door in her hanger, a couple million in the bank, and a big wine cellar.?.....;):D Is that asking too much? B|
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

Ummmm....... a 5000ft private runway with a 300 series T tail King Air with a cargo door in her hanger, a couple million in the bank, and a big wine cellar.?..... Is that asking too much?

don't you already have most of that?:D
At this point, I'd rather have a couple million gallons of fuel for the King instead of the money.

Domin is a terrific wingsuiter, she was fun to watch as she flitted from place to place. I'm sure Juan got some great photos.

I'm exceptionally proud of Monkeyboy for hanging his head in shame as Vectorboy pretends to hang his....:D

I think it was hung in envy....:$

Envy of what? Glenn's mad pick up chick skillz? Or envious that it's a woman about to pop Glenn and not Monkeyboy?:D
Nah...Monkeyboy has integrity, I've seen it up close.
See ya Friday, Ed.

Just getting back in. First off I want to thank everyone who participated in the skills camp. I had a great time and I know everyone who attended not only improved their individual skills but also had a good time. Each skills camp has it's own personality and this one was no exception. The skill levels were very diverse from just having received a FFC to having attended several skills camps in the past as were the types of suits being flown. I would hate to try and single any one person out as the most improved as there were some major improvements made by everyone in one aspect or another of their flying ability and knowledge.

While the flocks may not have been picture perfect every dive, the time Juan or I were able to spend with each person after a dive and give them feedback helped noticeably from dive to dive. Some people started off with having problems going low in the beginning of the camp and ended up having to work to get down to the formation after receiving feedback. By the end of the camp those same people were able to flock safely with others and control their flights consistently. The series of acrobatic exits we do at camps are always fun to do and many nailed the hardest exit, the dive, on their first try at it. However, the one I always enjoy is the distance challenge. The look on everyones faces when I explain how far we are getting out and what has to be done before the dive is always amusing and even more so afterwards when every one has huge smiles on their faces back in the hanger. This camp there was even less wind at altitude than any of the previous camps and people still managed to beat some of their personal bests. One individual who had only flown the Matter Tracer up until the camp was able to fly a borrowed Classic II from 12.5 over 4 miles back to the DZ and log a personal best of 115 seconds of freefall time. Even more impressive was the individual who flew a Prodigy the entire camp. While not able to attain the same amount of lift on many flights, he was able to maintain an impressive forward speed that always managed to get him back to the DZ. I've only seen 1 other person fly a prodigy better than him and that individual had a modified prodigy at that. My hat is off to that individual for sticking to his guns and truly flying his body efficiently and not relying on the surface area of the suit to get him back to the DZ. I can't wait to see what he can do when he decides to put on a real wingsuit with better performance.

Unlike the last camp, this year the weather was a bit more forgiving even though it did get up to 105 on the last day towards the end of the day. The early starts paid off and gave us plenty of time to pack, debrief and hydrate before people got too hot. With that said, it was still warm out but not uncomfortably so.

What I am most pleased with is everyones positive attitudes and overall improvement for the entire camp. While the learning curve may have been huge for some, others had a refining of their skills and while it may not seem as glaringly apparent to them, it was to Juan and I that something had clicked and they were applying their new found knowledge to their flights. These small adjustments to their flying style made a big difference for some and in everyone's case, being safely put out of their comfort zone and into positions or situations they were not familiar with forced everyone to improve their individual skills. Some people realized this early on and I am guessing some may not notice their improvements until they get in the air back at their home DZs.

Last but not least, I would like to thank Skydive Arizona and the Skyrider Inn Hotel for all of their support. Having dedicated aircraft specifically for the entire wingsuit camp, both a skyvan and an Otter gave everyone a chance to get comfortable with different types of exits as well as specialty jump runs. The pilots also deserve recognition for their efforts at making it so easy for us to do the many different things we did during the camp, to include the extra altitude we got on many occasions. And I didn't hear anyone complain when told that jump tickets were only $18.50 a jump. The Skyrider Inn did their share at helping out as well. Those who stayed there can tell you that after a hard day of jumping nothing beats being within walking distance of a full service hotel and only paying a fraction of the normal cost.

Juan has posted some of his pictures already on his website for everyone to enjoy and I will spend some time writing an article about the camp while on a plane to France here shortly. Thanks again to everyone who participated, stay safe and I hope to fly with you all again soon. :)

"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Glenn's mad pick up chick skillz?

Yep. Glen says he's a Smooth Operater ;)

See ya Friday, Ed.

Can't make Elsinore this weekend do to a previous event planned. I'll be jumping with Airspeed at the Challenge in Eloy. You guys have fun! :)
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

Thanks again Scott for the loan of the suit. Had a great time, met some great people and learned a LOT! You and Juan really did great on the coaching, organizing and skills you taught us.
The major thing I learned was to ALWAYS be aware of your situation in the sky. All of my other WS jumps, before the event, were solos and jumping with others was major fun, but also a huge diffenence in that you need to know your position in the sky in relation to the others.
I plan on staying focused on WS flying and, with the things you taught, work a lot on my exits and speed control.
Once I can do all of the exits you had us doing properly, every time, I will start to fly with others again.
"I'm not lost. I don't know where I'm going, but there's no sense in being late."
Mathew Quigley