mccordia

What wingsuit to buy (Article)

There is a new article available on our website.
Its aimed at new flyers, who are looking into buying their first suit.

Its not meant a a definitive "You should choose this suit"

The article doesn't compare different wingsuits, but rather focuses on the different design aspects, and how those influence the way you fly.

Thus hopefully enabling a potential buyer to make a more educated choice, instead of have to purely base it on on other peoples opinions and or brand preferences.

You can download the PDF article from this location:
http://flylikebrick.com/articles/flb_wingsuits_compared.pdf

In a day or so, the article will also be listed here:
http://flylikebrick.com/safety-training.php

A slightly updated version with some explanatory drawings is also planned for the near future.

Enjoy!

*edit* fixed the link (pointed to the wrong article for a second)
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

respect Jarno-very well done . . .but you have to put a bit more shame on yourself ,Fly your body was one of the first.I think it will be better to change B| for[:/]
further I am sure the weight is not that important-there many example for that.
We have had tests,Ive had up to 12kg lead on me but the time results was the same-6kg at the feet (balancing)enhance the time.
I`ve got two old skyflyer2 exactly same size-just a bit different material,but the performance is absolut not the same.
Now the reason why I have to make that clear>:( : our competitions 3 times(wings over marl)was and is absolutely fair-be sure,we proof that the different weight is one of the smallest points for judgement,and if not:o it will be also effect distance and artistics:S[pirate
relax Jarno,a bit more experience (competentione). . .so you find it out by yourself;)
I wish luck,good results and all the best for your competition:)blue\pink skies Jester

don´t pester the jester . . or better: WHY SO SERIOUS ? ?

www.pralle-zeiten.de

Beginning wingsuit flyers shouldn't worry about freefall time, but rather learning to achieve distance.

I'm both a new WS flyer (17 flights so far) and am heavier pilot (68" & 225lb out the door). I purchased an PF Acro here on DZ.com used and so far am really liking it. My goal is to improve to the point that I can do more flocking. I really want longer flights in bigger and bigger flocks. Oh and I don't want to be the base all the time.

I'm really looking for some coaching and ideas on how to improve in this suit before I go buy a more advanced suit. What are the things I can be working on when I'm out flying, both solo or with smaller groups. We have 3 more WS's at my DZ and 2 of those are up for a flock just about anytime.

Thanks in advance for all the help & ideas!!

Thats great, I would like to print it (with your permission of course).

Thats why its there...If I didnt want people to print it, Id be offering it on our website as an expensive book, so it pays for some jumps:P

Neeh..its all 'for the love of the game' so to speak..
So fire up that printer and enjoy..

Nice! Good manufacture-er neutral article!

I tried to keep it manufacturer neutral for several reasons.

The most important one being, not having to update the article every two weeks. Listing current wingsuit models and keeping that list current is starting to become a fulltime job.

And its manufacturer neutral, so people can focus on what they should be looking for/at in a wingsuit. Or at least try to understand design features and how those influence their flying.

As normaly, these kind of subjects/questions tend to degrade into a contest of personal preference and brand vs brand.

Good first read for the newbies...Sticky?

Might be an idea..Id have to look at James..he's the one able to update/change the FAQ.

Though in reality, most people will probably still prefer skipping the FAQ and getting right into the brandwars:P

Speaking of which..Ive also added matter and pressurised to the list of websites at the end of the article...

Anyone thinking of starting a brand, or thinking he has some information that needs to be added to the article...feel free to drop me a line..
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Oh and I don't want to be the base all the time.

Then don't be! You'll learn far more flying skills if you put someone who is more experienced than you as base.

Every time you're base, other people will fly to you. Ideally, you want this to be the other way round.

Find a nice stable base, who will fly a good pattern, and you can concentrate on flying your body to stay relative to that person / small group.
Phoenix Fly - High performance wingsuits for skydiving and BASE
Performance Designs - Simply brilliant canopies

Thanks for taking the time to write this, I'm 100% brand new to all of this and have spent the past 2 months reading as much as I can just to figure out how to even get started in all of this. What you've taken the time to write here has probably helped me the most out of all the countless .pdf files I've searched out and read to date. I wish there was a write up like this for all the questions I've had and still will as I continue to learn where to even start from in all of this. I almost skipped over reading this when I noticed it was dated from 2008, thinking too much has probably changed in that time for the info to be current, but I see now in the way it was written the info is fairly timeless.

I do have a couple questions on your article maybe someone can answer:

1) Are the materials I should be considering that you have listed, Balloon Zero-P, Parapak and Sail still the standard, or has any of this changed since this was written in 2008? Has one come out since this time to stand out as significantly better?

2) You touch on a lot of body size and weight but the information written mostly as only large or small seems relative to a point of perception? In other words, a person who is 5'2" and 110lbs everyone will seem large to them. I'm for example 6'2" and run between 185-200lbs depending on the day of the week. Should I pay more attention to this in my selection or is it rather irrelevant?

3) Lastly, what is the expected service life of a suit, 5 jumps, 100 jumps, etc...? I ask because I do have an eventual goal of BASE jumping the suit I buy and the thinking is I'd prefer spending my time learning in the same suit I'd be using to eventually BASE in. If a suit is only good for say 5 jumps before they are no longer considered safe for use then I may as well instead start learning in a suit that will be more suited for learning while still jumping from a plane. If that makes sense? I don't have a lot of money, so I'd like to make sure what I do have to spend is spent as wisely and effectively as I can, by avoiding rebuying as much as possible.

Thanks monkycndo, that info does help. I'm a long way off from having the experience needed to be buying my first suit, but I would like to try and make sure equipment and everything I do buy now to get myself started down this road will be compatible with the one I eventually wish to fly in. So it seems knowing now which suit to eventually buy needs to be factored into what I do buy now.

FB1609

I'd be interested in seeing this thread updated, should be done every year or so, now 4+ years and everything is irrelevant.

I don't feel a huge amount has changed in theory.

First wingsuit? Get a small one.

Experienced wingsuiter looking for something bigger? Well now there is a lot more choice as opposed to 4 years ago. Just get the right suit for the job, and keep your small suit.