Skybums

Psycho Packing the Crossfire2 ?

Hi

I have been searching the forum and the net for Psycho packing Crossfire2 and did not really find much.

Yes i know that Icarus don´t recommend it, and yes i know that some people have had crappy openings.

But is there some of you guys and girls out there, that have some real experience (and not a jump or two, wich sucked).

I´ve used to Psycho pack my Safire, and never had any problems. I know jump a Crossfire2 119 sq loaded at 1.55

Just looking for info before i will try to Psycho pack the Crossfire, if at all !

Thanks

Allan

Hi

I have been searching the forum and the net for Psycho packing Crossfire2 and did not really find much.

Yes i know that Icarus don´t recommend it, and yes i know that some people have had crappy openings.

But is there some of you guys and girls out there, that have some real experience (and not a jump or two, wich sucked).

I´ve used to Psycho pack my Safire, and never had any problems. I know jump a Crossfire2 119 sq loaded at 1.55

Just looking for info before i will try to Psycho pack the Crossfire, if at all !

Thanks

Allan

allan

i have put about 8 ot 10 jumps on a crossfire 2 that had been psycho packed, and had no problems at all. it opened that same as the rest (when i pro packed it and i put about another 10 or so like that).

my buddy kevin (Yoshi here) is who i borrowed the crossfire 2 111 from. and ever time he jumps it it's psycho packed. and he says he gets more on heading openings from it.

i didn't find that, but maybe it is for him.

but all in all, if you want to psycho pack it, you won't have any problems.

later

I've put about 20 jumps on a Xfire2 demo I've had for 2 weeks, all of the pro-packed. I've had a couple off-heading openings, but that was more do to my body position then anything.

The sport jumps I did today, I had 2 on-heading openings. The first one took about 1100ft to open, the second was right at 1000ft to open (I was watching my altimeter when I tossed and looked at it after I was in the saddle).

So my view is. It ain't broke, don't "fix" it.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

The only reason I would see to psychopack a xfire2 is if you have a hard time bagging it. I couldnt ask for better openings. Now that I have down when to start steering it, its on heading the majority of the time, with the limited off headings reasonable to recover from (mostly 90 to 180).

This is one sweet opening canopy no matter how you slice it (still bring it on!)

Johnny
--"This ain't no book club, we're all gonna die!"
Mike Rome

The only reason to spycho pack is becouse you don't know how to put it in the bag. a freind of mine insist on sphycho packing and has many mals becouse of it learn to do a proper pro pack.
David

Fooey. That's nothing but FUD. I've psycho-packed my Stiletto over 200+ times with no problems and I've done the same with my old Sabre and with a Crossfire2 demo. Off heading openings are the very rare exception for me.

I'm sure PRO packing got flack from the flat packers when it was still new, too.

If psycho-packing helps someone get a canopy into the bag easier then more power to them.

Granted, it takes a little more finesse, but if done properly there's nothing wrong with it.
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

My friend has had at least 5 mals becouse of spycho packing the lines look like s**it and he is a rigger I will stick with a standard pro pack, I have only had around 2 off headings with about 300 jumps on a crossfrire 1 using a standard pro pack I am also a rigger.
David

My friend has had at least 5 mals becouse of spycho packing the lines look like s**it and he is a rigger

What was the mal?
Define: Lines look like shit.

The Mal doesn't come from the psycho pack itself. Something else was the cause.

Psycho packing is just a method used to contain the parachute to easier place it in the bag.

Edit to add: Kris, You are correct. People who propacked recieved lots of flack in the beginning. Probable Reserve Opening ... was the usual comment.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Heya, Dave. You know...I keep promising Don, Robin, and Greg G. that I'll make it out there one of these days. I guess it's time to follow through.

Tell you what....tell Don & Robin that if the weather is jumpable weekend after this one I'll be there.B|

Well, Chris it would be nice to meet you even thought we have differences in opinions.
David

Dave, if people as a whole didn't have differences of opinion then we wouldn't have a tenth of the posts we do in these forums.;) They're here for different viewpoints to be discussed and hashed over.

Difference of opinion or not, ask Don & Robin, I'll probably be the first guy to buy someone a beer after a good deabate. I don't take things like that personally.

Besides, it'll just give me a chance to show you what a real on-heading deployment looks like with my psycho-packed Stiletto.:oB|

Hi

Thanks

Allan

I've only ever Psycho packed myxfire2 and never had any problems.

Besides, it'll just give me a chance to show you what a real on-heading deployment looks like with my psycho-packed Stiletto

Sort of like at the AOT Boogie this year?:o>:(

Time and time again, I get better openings, on heading, longer snivels, softer openings, etc from just pro-packing. Then again, quite a few folks tend to start psycho packing because they can't get the canopy in the bag...thus they suck at pro-packing.

I have psycho packed from the begining..as this was the method taught to me as a student. I have yet to pack a mal. I like the psycho pack as I can feel the lines easier through the pack job and therefor can control them better. I can propack just fine and get it in the bag that way. I just prefer to psycho because it's just easier...simple as that. and if your buddy packed mals somehow with a psycho pack..sounds like he doesn't know how to pack...

Marc
otherwise known as Mr.Fallinwoman....

Sort of like at the AOT Boogie this year?:o>:(

Time and time again, I get better openings, on heading, longer snivels, softer openings, etc from just pro-packing.

Psycho-packing wasn't the cause of my Stiletto blowing up. PD found an issue with my Stiletto that had been there for quite a while waiting to bite me in the ass.

And I can PRO-pack just fine, thank you.:P

Psycho-packing wasn't the cause of my Stiletto blowing up. PD found an issue with my Stiletto that had been there for quite a while waiting to bite me in the ass.

I realize that, I was just giving you a hard time.

Once again, though, this boils down to a couple things.

1) I don't believe that one packing method is actually better then the other.

2) It comes down to personal preference, what works for you. Find what works for you and become good at it. The better you are at packing, the better openings and less mals you will have.

;);)Psycho packers suck... or you could teach us all about the "true" benefits of psycho-packing..
No, there is some merit, but it stretches the imagination if it wasn't for the fact that psycho-
packing was a response to some packers or even "riggers" not being able to come to terms
with z-p fabric in the mid nineties.
But as with as any new (old) innovation, you have to keep re-inventing.
Psycho packing works, but you have to follow some of the old conventions. Namely, you have to make sure that the stabilizers are flaked outwards, or their components thereof, and that you "do not" pull or place the steering lines in front of the nose. The old style of flat packing and the convention of "pro packing" are based on experience. Certainly the folks that have come up with the 'alternate' method of psycho-packing know how to pro- or flat pack.I hope.
Any jumper that is curious about packing, will take a cue; there are many different ways to skin a cat.
But the ways taught by hands on any given DZ often outway the new innovations. Keep an open mind, stick with what works, read and learn, observe, think, and then apply. But foremost, assume responsibility
for what you do. I myself never trusted a packjob, until I did it myself.

I find that when some people pro pack as they are pushing material under and into the cocoon they can loose control of there lines and push the control lines around in front of the nose. I just dont have this problem when I psycho pack as I can feel the lines all the time...there right there. just one of my observations....:)

Marc

:)But I have observed it with psycho-packing as well, jumpers inadvertently pulling the steering lines in front of the nose!
Maybe the recent experience of a jumper with almost
back to back mals as a result of errors during psycho-packing triggered my itching fingertips.
Packing in general sucks...but it is part and parcel to jumping.

But I have observed it with psycho-packing as well, jumpers inadvertently pulling the steering lines in front of the nose

I have also observed this very behaviour...maybe this is why people at my DZ think I'm nuts for psycho packing...but then again we have quite a few flat packers here too. some of them think PRO packing is nuts.

Marc