skyman2000

hey does anyone use a talon2

hey I was wondering if anyone knew if the talon 2 was a good system. Im still new to this and wanted to get some info from someone who owns or has owned a couple of chutes in their time. Also I wanted to know what the average life expectancy is for a chute IE what is considered new and what is old. Cause I was going to buy a chute with about 250 jumps on it and that seems pretty decent anyone want to help me out email me

NOTE: I am NOT a rigger.

The Talon2 is a good rig, I've jumped them, known people that have jumped them. Not bad at all.

As for the life of a canopy, well, that depends on a lot of factors. Talk to one of your local riggers and/or instructors so they can explain that you you in depth with (hopefully) examples.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I am a rigger and actually finished packing one about 15 minutes ago. I like them and the Talon reserve system. Very clean deployment system, not a lot of flaps, strong pilot chutes.

I am not a fan of the main container Walrus teeth, however.
John
Arizona Hiking Trails

Yes, I did three jumps on my Talon 2 yesterday.
Owned a '94 Talon before that.
Also worked at the Talon factory for 3 years.

Sure I am biased, but I still think Talon 2s are among of the best rigs on the market.

Equipment life depends upon design, number of jumps, how neatly it was packed, where it was jumped and calendar age. Best to ask a local rigger to inspect it before you hand over any money.

a talon2 is my main rig. like it alot except for the walrus teeth on the main flap. if you arn't used to closing it it can be hard, one of the reasons i don't like getting a main pin check in he plane because it is hard for other jumprs to close it properly in a short amount of tme...

I own / jump a 94 Talon, which is basically a Talon 2. Its my 2nd Rig now, but was my only Rig up until about 5 months ago. I've put about 1800 jumps on my Talon. One Reserve Ride on the Raven II I've got packed into it; very clean deployment. I am also a Senior Rigger. I've got no major issues with it, although, obviously, after 1800ish jumps, its a bit worn here and there and has had a stitch or two now and again, but just cosmentics type repairs, nothing structural. Take care of your gear, treat it nice, always use a drag mat is my motto. Going back a few years, some riggers do not like the Talon Reserve Pilot Chute spring or the Talon Reserve D-Bag for various reasons, none of which I think are "bad" its just that different Riggers liek different things about different rigs and have different opinions... form your own... one thing to consider, remember, all rigs have to pass the same TSOs.

All in all, I think the Talon2 is a fine rig and if you have a line on a used one that is in good shape, its a good buy. B|

I would have bought a new production T2 when I was looking to buy a new Rig about 8 - 9 months ago, but by then a new T2 wasn't an option. I considered a Talon3 and have no reason to think thye're not a great rig either... have heard good things about them, but honestly, suffered "sticker shock" when pricing out a T3. :S

450+ jumps with my Talon2 bought new from Parachutes australia 2 years ago. not a single issue with it. all flaps are in perfect condition. just had the boc replaced a couple of weeks ago (cost=50euro).
I'll get some riser hardhousings during next repack.
it's *really* comfy, easy to pack...
my rigger likes it too B|

The US Military Academy (West Point) team jumps mostly Talons and have for years, their riggers have packed and maintained dozens of them on a six day per week training schedule. No issues. I have been very impressed with their customer service and the organization of technical bulletins on the Rigging Innovations website.

I had a mid-90s (1995 or 96) Talon as my first rig. Great container, I was pretty happy with it. I also didn't care for the walrus teeth, but I know a few people that just had bigger teeth put in them to take care of issues with the main flap coming open.

My container had a flap covering the BOC pouch that went from the back outside, over the BOC, and secured on the lower backpad. Not only was the pouch protected, but I only had about 1/2 inch of bridal exposed.

Too bad it wasn't a bit smaller- I would have kept it longer.

I also didn't care for the walrus teeth

I have the 2in walruss teeth also and one thing I found that works great is that when closeing the main flap instaed of bending the teeth in and under , if you slide them in from the side they dont bend hense they dont fall or slide out or get all crappy!!! I've had my Talon 2 for two years now and the teeth look damn near new becuase of doing it this way!! Never had my flap open in FF on me yet

jason
Freedom of speech includes volume

I also didn't care for the walrus teeth***

Why don't you guys like the walrus teeth? If you were to have a flap installed, you would only be able to make it about 1 inch long. Look at the way the rig is designed. If the flap were any longer, wouldn't it hit the closing loop/gromets?

The walrus teeth are great because they extend past the closing loop/gromets to make the main pin flap more secure!

I just mesured my walrus teeth. They are 3 inches long.

I've seen some talons with really short walrus teeth so I think that would be a cause for concern for Freeflyers. It's probably really cheap to upgrade to the longer 3 inch teeth.

I've caught a lot of people with Javlins getting on the plane with open main pin flaps....when I fix it for them, I can tell it's not very secure.

scott

thingis with walrus teeth is that unless you have a rig or are familr with em it is harder for others to close. manytimes i have had a pin check in the lane and had the jumper doing the check take about 5 minutes(exagerated) to get it closed again.... that is the only thing i don't like about em...andi have found this coming from newer jumpers to ones withover 1000+.....

True dat. My first rig was a used Talon (not the Talon2). It was a great rig, but if someone giving me a pin-check didn't know what they were doing I would end up with my main flap open in freefall.

Walrus teeth are tricky for people who aren't used to them.
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

I jump a Talon that was made a few months before they started calling them Talon2's, and I really like it. Comfortable, great CS, lots of neat features. My rigger doesn't seem to mind packing the reserver either. But all I have to compare it to is student gear.

For the Walrus teeth, yup. Gloves make it a bit trickier to close the main flap to.
Best work around I found was to try and get a pin check from the same person in the plane, or get one from someone with another Talon container.

“- - Sumo is the greatest of sports. It has power, grace, speed and cluture. And most importantly, two fat bastards smacking the shit out of each other. ”

One reason I don't like people checking my pins is because I like to straighten the walrus teeth after I slip them in (so the sides of the walrus teeth are actually tuching the sides of the grommet.

Somtimes people check my pin (without asking) so I reach back straighten the tuck tabs so they aren't crooked. I've noticed that pushing them straight makes the pin flap a little more secure.

scott